Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 02:26 PM)

Best part is they wont release him to attend somewhere else so they are forcing him to sit out a year. Dick move

A Notre Dame spokesman said the school will not release Vanderdoes from his signed national letter of intent, which essentially means the Placer, Calif., native could not play for the Bruins this season if he accepts a scholarship there.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 04:32 PM)
Best part is they wont release him to attend somewhere else so they are forcing him to sit out a year. Dick move

I have to agree with that though. If you start letting kids out of their commitment, what is the point in even having a national signing day or a letter of intent?

And national signing day was what, 4 months ago?

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 04:49 PM)
I have to agree with that though. If you start letting kids out of their commitment, what is the point in even having a national signing day or a letter of intent?

And national signing day was what, 4 months ago?

Give or take. I agree with it if the kid played or enrolled and wanted to transfer for athletic reasons (still doesnt always happen) but he hasnt suited up for them once. I dont like punishing 17-18 year old kids for making a decision too quickly BECAUSE of NLOID.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 04:32 PM)

Bulls***. Most coaches agree with this move. You can't have guys signing NLI's and THEN transferring immediately.

I'll pile on ND as much as the next guy, but not on this one.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 04:53 PM)
Give or take. I agree with it if the kid played or enrolled and wanted to transfer for athletic reasons (still doesnt always happen) but he hasnt suited up for them once. I dont like punishing 17-18 year old kids for making a decision too quickly BECAUSE of NLOID.

Wasn't he committed there for 2 years? Not sure about "making a decision too quickly"

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 05:12 PM)
Bulls***. Most coaches agree with this move. You can't have guys signing NLI's and THEN transferring immediately.

I'll pile on ND as much as the next guy, but not on this one.

It has nothing to do with ND. You can sign pretty much unlimited guys so its not like he took a spot.

And it's not a transfer if they just release him.

Because he never actually enrolled.

Whether or not somebody enrolled is irrelevant. Once you sign your LOI, the school you signed with stops recruiting whoever their second choice might be to fill that slot, and that guy signs with another school. It puts a uniform end date to the recruiting process so teams can move on with their plans.

But if you want to use enrollment as the guideline, then ND can now go find some 4-star guy who signed a LOI with Michigan State and offer Vanderdoes' scholarship to him since he hasn't enrolled at his new school, right? And then Michigan State can now go find some 3-star guy who signed a LOI with Northern Illinois and offer their open scholarship to him since he hasn't enrolled yet, and then Northern Illinois can go find some 2-star guy who signed a LOI with Arkansas State and offer their open scholarship to him since he hasn't enrolled yet.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
Whether or not somebody enrolled is irrelevant. Once you sign your LOI, the school you signed with stops recruiting whoever their second choice might be to fill that slot, and that guy signs with another school. It puts a uniform end date to the recruiting process so teams can move on with their plans.

But if you want to use enrollment as the guideline, then ND can now go find some 4-star guy who signed a LOI with Michigan State and offer Vanderdoes' scholarship to him since he hasn't enrolled at his new school, right? And then Michigan State can now go find some 3-star guy who signed a LOI with Northern Illinois and offer their open scholarship to him since he hasn't enrolled yet, and then Northern Illinois can go find some 2-star guy who signed a LOI with Arkansas State and offer their open scholarship to him since he hasn't enrolled yet.

Theres no limits to how many guys you sign, you know that. I just dont agree with it. Let the kid go.

Theres no limits to how many guys you sign, you know that. I just dont agree with it. Let the kid go.

But if you let the kid go, then you are back to being one under your limit, which gives you free reign to rob recruits from other schools. Thus, we have a signing date that locks people in.

Some schools don't start their Fall semesters until after the first game or two. Can a guy play a game with a team and then decide to go to another school because he isn't enrolled?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
But if you let the kid go, then you are back to being one under your limit, which gives you free reign to rob recruits from other schools. Thus, we have a signing date that locks people in.

Some schools don't start their Fall semesters until after the first game or two. Can a guy play a game with a team and then decide to go to another school because he isn't enrolled?

No because you cannot play until you are enrolled, you cant even practice.

• 1 month later...

Beat Michigan: http://www.nbc4i.com/story/22769428/young-...-beats-michigan

Troy and Denise Reed met as members of The Ohio State University Marching Band. They're diehard Buckeyes, and those values were instill in their children, Collin and Grant.

When Grant was diagnosed with a brain tumor two years ago, he nicknamed the disease "Michigan." But Friday, he beat Blue.

When the bell rings at Nationwide Children's Hospital, its sound represents renewed life.

"We've heard it run a few times. There was always the thought of having him to it. Today we got to hear it," Troy said.

On the 11th floor at the hospital, the bell awaits patients completing their final chemotherapy treatment.

OSU Head Coach Urban Meyer stopped by the hospital in December, and spent time with Grant, who turns 13 next month.

Doctors said the prognosis for Grant looks good.

"We've beaten Michigan for the short term, but like any rival, there's a chance it can come back," Troy said.