2013 Spring Training catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still no update on the roster numbers on the Sox site, but it looks like Phegley got 36 and Bryan Anderson is 39.

Didn't see a 37 hanging between 36 and 38. They're not making Thornton change for Thigpen, are they?

It would appear Flowers changed his number as well. Not 17 anymore.

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/30140...9034880/photo/1

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 02:24 PM)
Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales

When asked who should start opening day, Peavy didn't pause in saying that Sale is the best pitcher in the Sox's rotation.

Pretty sure at Soxfest, they asked them both this. Sale said Peavy, Peavy said Sale.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin

To answer a common question, Cooper and the White Sox view Santiago as more of a reliever than starter right now.

DUMB.

Have him start in Charlotte if you're not gonna give him a chance to crack the rotation.

I've never had any problem with that. I've changed my tone a bit in believing that he could make it as a starter, but I believe he would be incredibly streaky as a starting pitcher, depending entirely upon the effectiveness of that screwball. As a reliever, he can light it up to about 95 and then the screwball (so long as hitters don't wait on it, like Cespedes did last year) it can be extremely effective.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 03:24 PM)
I've never had any problem with that. I've changed my tone a bit in believing that he could make it as a starter, but I believe he would be incredibly streaky as a starting pitcher, depending entirely upon the effectiveness of that screwball. As a reliever, he can light it up to about 95 and then the screwball (so long as hitters don't wait on it, like Cespedes did last year) it can be extremely effective.

Yeah, his screwball is a good weapon because it looks different, but it doesn't have near enough movement to be a reliable swing-and-miss offering. It will be very effective if he uses it only about 10% of the time -- it's value is in its surprise.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)

I actually checked this, there was basically no change on his fastball between starting and relieving last year. He didn't gain any velocity in the pen or lose any when he was starting. Yeah, maybe that changes if you try to throw him 230 innings, but we haven't seen any evidence of him throwing harder from the pen.

What we really saw was that Santiago struggled more with the control of his offspeed stuff out of the pen. People could sit back and hammer it because he couldn't keep it down.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
I actually checked this, there was basically no change on his fastball between starting and relieving last year. He didn't gain any velocity in the pen or lose any when he was starting. Yeah, maybe that changes if you try to throw him 230 innings, but we haven't seen any evidence of him throwing harder from the pen.

What we really saw was that Santiago struggled more with the control of his offspeed stuff out of the pen. People could sit back and hammer it because he couldn't keep it down.

Looking at his minor league stats, I don't think it matters whether he throws from the rotation or the bullpen, he's going to be erratic with his control right now. He was pretty much right around 4 BB/9 no matter whether starting or relieving in the minors, and using 4 games started in the majors as any indication that he has better control as a starting pitcher brings about sample size issues.

(FYI, 5.1 BB/9 in 4 games started in the majors last year)

So, whether or not he struggled with the control of his offspeed stuff (which is an incredibly small sample size) or what have you, his control was worse starting. Allowing him to relieve reduces the tendency for him to miss spots and allows him to exert more.

I think they started him in the minors like how they started Nate Jones in the minors - all about getting more experience. I think he could be an absolute shut down lefty reliever, given time.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)
Organization offered Ventura 1 year extension but he turned it down. Ok then.

Story.

Well that makes me pretty confident there will be a new White Sox manager in 2015.

Unless they win a title... which even still.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 07:21 PM)
I have conflicting feelings about Ventura as a manager. You can't help but like him as a person, but do we really want a 45-year-old manager that would turn down a contract extension?

Just win, man.

Its all about the product on the field. This actually looked like a baseball team for the last season. They could do things like hit the cutoff man and run the bases.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 07:24 PM)
Its all about the product on the field. This actually looked like a baseball team for the last season. They could do things like hit the cutoff man and run the bases.

And they made mistakes too. They stuck with Morel too long, especially when he was batting 2nd. And Dunn can't be a 3-hitter for a winning team.

I'm not going to knock Ventura for one season of managing, but I have no idea if he's a good manager yet. It all seems like a "college of coaches" scenario, with Robin doing the pre- and postgame media sessions.

I just don't feel like he's the guy in control yet. And when he turns down a contract extension, I have to question how much he wants to do this. Truthfully, I'd rather have Mark Parent managing since he paid his dues in the minors, and has a good reputation.

Well we have no idea what the financial terms were, just that he was offered another year and turned it down.

I wouldn't be reading that much into this if his whole hiring wasn't so freakin' weird and unorthodox. I hope he stays but, if McEwing sticks around till 2015, I won't shed a tear for Robin if he wants to leave.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 07:38 PM)
And they made mistakes too. They stuck with Morel too long, especially when he was batting 2nd. And Dunn can't be a 3-hitter for a winning team.

I'm not going to knock Ventura for one season of managing, but I have no idea if he's a good manager yet. It all seems like a "college of coaches" scenario, with Robin doing the pre- and postgame media sessions.

I just don't feel like he's the guy in control yet. And when he turns down a contract extension, I have to question how much he wants to do this. Truthfully, I'd rather have Mark Parent managing since he paid his dues in the minors, and has a good reputation.

All teams make mistakes. Both of those situations didn't come with better solutions.