Minor League Roster announcements

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
1B? That's interesting. If he slides to 1B, he'd better develop some power.

Kanny just tweeted that link as the correct roster - that is the one. If it was the winter one, it wouldn't have Brennan, the Johnsons, etc.

A few head-scratchers on that roster...

--Who is playing 1B? Ravelo sliding over, or Zac Fisher?

--Buddy Bell had said the Brennan-Beck-Hansen group would move together... apparently not. Beck is at A+, Brennan at A-, not sure where Hansen is.

--Offensively, that is not a real strong unit. Ravelo, Micah Johnson are the only two guys probably worth watching. Maybe Kiser.

--On the pitching side though, some fun names. Olacio, Brennan, Leyer, Hardin, Kibby, Jaye and Gunter all worth keeping an eye on. Looks like the rotation will be Brennan, Olacio, Kibby, Jaye and Leyer. Although there is that rumor about Lopez as well.

I'm still hoping Barnum is called up to Kannapolis to play 1B when he gets fully healthy. I just think he's too high of a draft pick to only play short-season ball this year. Otherwise, an ugly group of position playing prospects on the roster.

Also a bit surprised neither of the HS catchers we selected last year made Kannopolis' roster. I'm cool with a longer development cycle for them, but I guess you wonder what happens next year if both are ready for low A. Hard to give two solid catching prospects on the same team enough playing time behind the plate, but I guess that's a good problem to have.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 09:44 AM)
Would I be stupid to say I hope Hawkins is good at High-A, but not too good?

I just hope the Sox don't rush him in an attempt to market the next Harper or Trout. Because he probably isn't.

They won't. They want to move him as quickly as he moves himself. Originally he wasn't supposed to be here even, but he hit himself there with the amazing stretch run and playoff run.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 09:44 AM)
Would I be stupid to say I hope Hawkins is good at High-A, but not too good?

I just hope the Sox don't rush him in an attempt to market the next Harper or Trout. Because he probably isn't.

Honestly, if you look at the depth charts above him, I don't see it happening. Mitchell, Thompson, & Walker are all starting the year in AA or above. Plus you have some minor league depth guys / fringe prospects like Danks, Tekotte, & Short in the mix as well.

I think it's almost 100% likely he get to AA this season and a decent chance he gets some ABs at AAA at some point, but I really think one of the six guys I mentioned above would get first crack at a major league job this year, whether it's a starting or backup role.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
--On the pitching side though, some fun names. Olacio, Brennan, Leyer, Hardin, Kibby, Jaye and Gunter all worth keeping an eye on. Looks like the rotation will be Brennan, Olacio, Kibby, Jaye and Leyer. Although there is that rumor about Lopez as well.

I think Jake Cose could slide into the rotation with Olacio coming out of the pen. I think they may try Olacio as a starter again, but given his age he can still come out of the pen and be gaining valuable experience. My first instinct was to say Olacio probably starts, but I'm not as sure now that I look at the roster.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 09:24 AM)
I'd keep an eye on Jason Coats too. He was projected to be drafted in the top 10 rounds prior to tearing his ACL. Worth watching.

That's not entirely true. Coats was viewed as a potential 2nd or 3rd rounder after his sophomore season and solid Cape Cod League showing, but he struggled with the new bats in college his last two years. He was taken outside the top 10 rounds as a junior and his senior year wasn't much better. The ACL injury certainly dropped him, but he wasn't likely to be a top 10 round pick anyway.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 07:30 PM)
Now that Lars Anderson is back, does he go on the 40-man? I think we're full there, unless we can DFA Septimo while he's on the DL.

Oh, Lars. I missed him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 10:19 AM)
Bell said the plan was for him to start at Birmingham.

There is no way this would have happened under Williams. They would have put him at AAA simply because it is a better park to hit in and his power likely would have translated better, and would have increased his value. With Hahn, he is in AA because it will give him more time against hard stuff. I'd expect a mid-season promotion.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
There is no way this would have happened under Williams. They would have put him at AAA simply because it is a better park to hit in and his power likely would have translated better, and would have increased his value. With Hahn, he is in AA because it will give him more time against hard stuff. I'd expect a mid-season promotion.

I'm really not sure this is the case, can you honestly name anyone who only got 50 AB's at BHam? If he got started at BHam hot I could buy that, but I certainly feel like they give guys a chance at AA to adapt.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 09:24 AM)

Brady Shoemaker is not only at Winston-Salem again (which is a surprise, I figured him for B-Ham), but he is also starting the season on the DL.

Also interesting to see Beck in W-S, skipping A ball.

Where is Kyle Hansen?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 08:39 AM)

Sounds like a combination of wanting to see how he handles the new ballpark, and a lot of good OFs in front of him at AAA.

That lineup looks like it will do some damage. DeMichele at the top of the order with Hawkins and Smith in the middle. Throw in some milb vets that should put up numbers with a hitter friendly park and that's going to be fun.

QUOTE (floridafan @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 03:30 PM)
As of right now I do not know where Grabe is going. I would expect Kannapolis but he has yet to leave Arizona. So I don't really know.

He's not going straight to Kannapolis, but I think he will get there after Ravelo gets some time. Once he reacclimates himself to game action Grabe probably takes his place. Not sure why they couldn't just send Eric to Kannapolis as a bench guy straight away and then work him into the lineup.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 09:57 AM)
B-Ham announces, though their actual roster page on MiLB.com is not updated. So no FULL roster to look at yet.

One surprise, to me - Wilkins repeating AA.

Not terribly surprising. The current regime obviously likes Lars Anderson, Seth Loman is there, plus there are a few others who can play 1B as well, and Wilkins struggled a bit in AA last year.

OK, here is the actual roster.

A few surprises to me. In addition to Wilkins, who is behind a crowd as wite mentioned... Short is back in AA, crowded out also apparently. Kussmaul back in AA too. All three of those guys should be playing at AAA, ideally, and probably will as the season goes on if all goes well for them.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 04:40 PM)
OK, here is the actual roster.

A few surprises to me. In addition to Wilkins, who is behind a crowd as wite mentioned... Short is back in AA, crowded out also apparently. Kussmaul back in AA too. All three of those guys should be playing at AAA, ideally, and probably will as the season goes on if all goes well for them.

Wilkins may play 3B.