2013 NCAA Men's Basketball Championship Thread

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 09:34 AM)
But the officiating did favor Louisville's style of play, which eventually wore down Michigan...whereas if they would have called a tighter game, then the game gets played more along Michigan's style and they win the game.

What drives me nuts about college basketball is that they allow the teams that pressure to foul constantly.

The play that stands out is when they allow the pressuring defenders to ride on the ball handler's hip as he brings the ball up the court. Coaches have done a very good job of teaching their defenders to then lean on the ball handler. Now I don't know how much you play full court basketball, but it is incredibly annoying to have a defender leaning on you and pushing you as you try to bring the ball up the court. And if the ball handler slows down to try and shake the defender, then the defense brings over another defender to trap. Once a team gets a trap on, the officials will almost never call a foul. So instead, the ball handler is rushing the ball up the court with a defender riding and leaning and pushing him, which is where you see the errant pass or the out of control drive to the basket, where another defender suddenly slides over right as the offensive player leaves the ground to attempt the shot, and a charge is called.

And so much of it stems from the one play that the refs do not call...all they have to do is refuse to allow the defender to ride the ball handler and so much of this would go away and then we'd have basketball again...

Or he could pass, or run the guy off a screen. Thats basketball. The refs allowing Big Ten type ball should have favored Michigan. But once again they decided to not play defense and watch Burke dribble. Lou's guards are tiny little things, if that bothered them so much why didnt they just have one of their bigger guys bring up the ball?

I didnt notice that being an issue at all. Physical play is the way we see our teams play week in and week out. MSU has won titles based on that style.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 09:34 AM)
But the officiating did favor Louisville's style of play, which eventually wore down Michigan...whereas if they would have called a tighter game, then the game gets played more along Michigan's style and they win the game.

What drives me nuts about college basketball is that they allow the teams that pressure to foul constantly.

The play that stands out is when they allow the pressuring defenders to ride on the ball handler's hip as he brings the ball up the court. Coaches have done a very good job of teaching their defenders to then lean on the ball handler. Now I don't know how much you play full court basketball, but it is incredibly annoying to have a defender leaning on you and pushing you as you try to bring the ball up the court. And if the ball handler slows down to try and shake the defender, then the defense brings over another defender to trap. Once a team gets a trap on, the officials will almost never call a foul. So instead, the ball handler is rushing the ball up the court with a defender riding and leaning and pushing him, which is where you see the errant pass or the out of control drive to the basket, where another defender suddenly slides over right as the offensive player leaves the ground to attempt the shot, and a charge is called.

And so much of it stems from the one play that the refs do not call...all they have to do is refuse to allow the defender to ride the ball handler and so much of this would go away and then we'd have basketball again...

The refs allowed Michigan ball handlers to push them off the entire night and didn't call a foul. They were simply letting them play. I remember Hardaway Jr. was bringing the ball up with Siva pressuring him and he just pushed square out of the way. There was way too much theatrics for my taste on both sides and that's probably why there was hesitation for calling fouls.

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 07:54 AM)
Or he could pass, or run the guy off a screen. Thats basketball. The refs allowing Big Ten type ball should have favored Michigan. But once again they decided to not play defense and watch Burke dribble. Lou's guards are tiny little things, if that bothered them so much why didnt they just have one of their bigger guys bring up the ball?

I didnt notice that being an issue at all. Physical play is the way we see our teams play week in and week out. MSU has won titles based on that style.

Well, Jay Bilas and several other commentators would disagree, but whatever...I do realize they have been calling it this way for years now, so it's nothing new.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 07:56 AM)
The refs allowed Michigan ball handlers to push them off the entire night and didn't call a foul. They were simply letting them play. I remember Hardaway Jr. was bringing the ball up with Siva pressuring him and he just pushed square out of the way. There was way too much theatrics for my taste on both sides and that's probably why there was hesistation for calling fouls.

Yeah, you are right, then they start allowing the ball handler to push him back off...

It's just stupid...that is not defense, it is a foul.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 09:57 AM)
Well, Jay Bilas and several other commentators would disagree, but whatever...I do realize they have been calling it this way for years now, so it's nothing new.

If they blew a whistle for every touch people would be on here saying the game had no flow. They made some ridiculously horrible calls all night like the goaltending and foul on Burke, but they also let the kids play and dictate the outcome for the most part. The play in the paint in the second half was who wanted it more.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 07:59 AM)
If they blew a whistle for every touch people would be on here saying the game had no flow. They made some ridiculously horrible calls all night like the goaltending and foul on Burke, but they also let the kids play and dictate the outcome for the most part. The play in the paint in the second half was who wanted it more.

Exactly! And that is what the coaches who employ these ultra-aggressive defensive pressure schemes are counting on....that the refs are not going to want to blow the whistle every play because the game will cease to be a game anymore, but instead a free throw shooting content.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)
Exactly! And that is what the coaches who employ these ultra-aggressive defensive pressure schemes are counting on....that the refs are not going to want to blow the whistle every play because the game will cease to be a game anymore, but instead a free throw shooting content.

But then when your key players get into foul trouble your pressure is moot. This is whats been going on in the game for over 20 years. I dont understand why there is an issue with it today.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)
Yeah, you are right, then they start allowing the ball handler to push him back off...

It's just stupid...that is not defense, it is a foul.

Sure but it's a ticky tack foul. Michigan turned the ball over way too much and it wasn't due to the pressure probably 80% of the time. They also played no defense. They started playing not to lose and they lost.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 10:09 AM)
Most are no where near this bad. This was legitimately awful.

Definitely up there in terms of boneheaded calls. AS far as officiating for or against one team, it wasnt on the same level as any game in Bloomington.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)
Definitely up there in terms of boneheaded calls. AS far as officiating for or against one team, it wasnt on the same level as any game in Bloomington.

I didn't think it favored one team or another, it was just really, really bad. I said last night that our high school sectionals had better officiating teams than that hot garbage.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 10:19 AM)
I didn't think it favored one team or another, it was just really, really bad. I said last night that our high school sectionals had better officiating teams than that hot garbage.

Probably true. It's hard to believe those are the guys that graded out the best through the tourney. I was thanking god TV teddy wasnt assigned to the game before tip-off but he may have actually done a better job.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)

I've seen MSU really high in a bunch of places. I can't buy that until we know for sure that Harris and Payne are back. If one of them leaves, maybe like 15, if both leave fringe-ranking at best. I don't see how you can put them at #3 and Michigan totally off the board when they can both be top-5 or unranked depending on what happens with the pros.

That's a lot of love for the Shockers too. They were really solid this year and will still be decent next year, but I have a hard time buying 11 with Hall and Armstead moving on. A ton of guys that were marginally productive stepping into bigger roles.

Here's mine for comparison. I don't know why I like Georgetown a lot more, I just do.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 01:24 PM)
I've seen MSU really high in a bunch of places. I can't buy that until we know for sure that Harris and Payne are back. If one of them leaves, maybe like 15, if both leave fringe-ranking at best. I don't see how you can put them at #3 and Michigan totally off the board when they can both be top-5 or unranked depending on what happens with the pros.

That's a lot of love for the Shockers too. They were really solid this year and will still be decent next year, but I have a hard time buying 11 with Hall and Armstead moving on. A ton of guys that were marginally productive stepping into bigger roles.

Here's mine for comparison. I don't know why I like Georgetown a lot more, I just do.

Alot of people put way too much stock into tourney performance at the end of the year. Teams get hot and cold, and it usually has zero bearing on the next year.

Zoom, nice write up. Too much love for my buckeyes but a very informed perspective.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 01:24 PM)

Other than Kentucky it doesn't look like there are really any great teams next year.

Russ Smith is going pro by the way so you have to knock Louisville down a bit.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 01:47 PM)
Other than Kentucky it doesn't look like there are really any great teams next year.

Russ Smith is going pro by the way so you have to knock Louisville down a bit.

Well, once the NBA stuff sorts itself out things will obviously be very different.

I think there are a few interesting teams at the top. Kentucky certainly has an obscene amount of NBA-level talent. I can see Florida being a little like Louisville this year in that they don't have a ton of pro prospects, but they'll be able to go deep into their bench with good athletes that can contribute. Arizona's frontcourt is pretty loaded and their starting backcourt should be solid. If Duke can get someone like Plumlee or Jefferson to anchor their defense, they've got a ton of firepower.

To me, the top is a little deeper than this year's group. It's kind of a mess once you get down around 10 or so though unless some guys unexpectedly stay in school.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 01:50 PM)
Russ Smith did not look good last night. Just was playing terrible.

Smith would drive me nuts if he were on my team. He's insanely quick and looks like he can get to the rim whenever he wants, but he makes a lot of poor decisions. I'm not quite sure where he fits in the NBA, he's like a 6-foot shooting guard with an iffy jumper. If it were me, I'd probably stay another year and beg Pitino to let me handle more PG duties to try to prove I can handle it.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 02:08 PM)
Well, once the NBA stuff sorts itself out things will obviously be very different.

I think there are a few interesting teams at the top. Kentucky certainly has an obscene amount of NBA-level talent. I can see Florida being a little like Louisville this year in that they don't have a ton of pro prospects, but they'll be able to go deep into their bench with good athletes that can contribute. Arizona's frontcourt is pretty loaded and their starting backcourt should be solid. If Duke can get someone like Plumlee or Jefferson to anchor their defense, they've got a ton of firepower.

To me, the top is a little deeper than this year's group. It's kind of a mess once you get down around 10 or so though unless some guys unexpectedly stay in school.

One other note for your write up (note I'm not nitpicking just passing on information) is that Tarik Black is transferring from Memphis.