2013 NCAA Men's Basketball Championship Thread

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it bother anyone else that articles mention Michigan being in the final four for the first time since 1993 even though that appearance was vacated? I mean, isn't the point of vacating wins to pretend like they never happened because the team cheated to get there? Is that just crappy journalism or does it not matter?

Here's the write-up about it (and headline) from ESPN.com:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=330900057

There's not even an asterisk or footnote mentioning that 92 and 93 had the be vacated. Part of me says that's f***ed up.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
Does it bother anyone else that articles mention Michigan being in the final four for the first time since 1993 even though that appearance was vacated? I mean, isn't the point of vacating wins to pretend like they never happened because the team cheated to get there? Is that just crappy journalism or does it not matter?

There's not even an asterisk or footnote mentioning that 92 and 93 had the be vacated. Part of me says that's f***ed up.

Doesn't really matter, which is why "vacating wins" is a stupid penalty. It still happened and everyone knows it still happened. The asterisk/footnote is the best they can ever hope for.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Good point, didn't think about that. There should most definitely, at the very least, be an asterisk, footnote, mention, etc. in any article.

The point is they were there. That is true.

"Vacating" wins is so dumb. Michigan made the Final Four in 92 & 93. There is video proof below if you don't believe me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHPtZ7UnNkQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahpc5tm83I8

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 01:17 PM)

The NCAA can try as hard as they want to pretend it didn't happen, but it did, and they were there. Always will be.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)
Good point, didn't think about that. There should most definitely, at the very least, be an asterisk, footnote, mention, etc. in any article.

People loved the fab five so much though that they forget Michigan paid for them.

It's as relevant here as anywhere else. Kevin Ware said he didn't feel pain and thought it was just an ankle when he went down. Said Pitino went to to help him up and he knew it was bad when he saw Pitino's eyes (after Pitino realized what happened).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 02:15 PM)
It's as relevant here as anywhere else. Kevin Ware said he didn't feel pain and thought it was just an ankle when he went down. Said Pitino went to to help him up and he knew it was bad when he saw Pitino's eyes (after Pitino realized what happened).

Its going to heal quicker and easier than a torn out knee. I understand it was gross, but it's not that devastating these days. Brian Hartline went down with a similar injury and won the hurdles state championship the next spring, and went on to be a pretty good athlete in college and the pros.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 05:23 PM)
Its going to heal quicker and easier than a torn out knee. I understand it was gross, but it's not that devastating these days. Brian Hartline went down with a similar injury and won the hurdles state championship the next spring, and went on to be a pretty good athlete in college and the pros.

3 months before it's healed.

I'm not ptatc, but as I understand it, with a bone, everything that was there before is still there, so they set it and it will essentially start healing itself as soon as it calms down and realizes WTF is going on. They use the screws to ensure that it heals together properly. With a blown knee, they literally have to take a ligament from your elbow, wait for it to actually set in the bone, and then the muscles surrounding it have to get stronger as well. There's like nothing you can really even do for 4-6 months on it because it will just snap off and you're left with a floppy knee.

Eric Wood (Bills center) had a compound fracture in his tibia in like week 14 of the 2011 season, and he was ready to kick ass in training camp in July of 2012.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 11:52 AM)
Did Mcgahee get this much love when his knee was reduced to jello? That was on a bigger stage that the elite eight. I guess I dont get it. I bet he would have rather snapped both legs than have every knee ligament torn out.

Social media wasn't around for it

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 6, 2013 -> 05:06 PM)
Sorry to be the ass, but can we stop with the over dramatizing of the Ware injury? It was awful and hope he's ok but he is like the 8th guy on the team.

LOL Jake said this almost verbatim the day after it happened. But his reasoning was a little different

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 6, 2013 -> 05:12 PM)
LOL Jake said this almost verbatim the day after it happened. But his reasoning was a little different

I was fine with it the day after, but now its too much. And than they throw him in the nd of that little opening video for Louisville.

I know he doesn't, but it looks like Smith travels everytime he penetrates.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 6, 2013 -> 07:00 PM)
Terrible officiating right now.

They're definitely calling some things really tight.

On the other hand, it is pretty interesting how effective Wichita State has been cutting off the transition buckets. Louisville is starting to get better shots though.