What I Would Do

Marty34

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
Yes, it is definitely odd that I'd bring up the Astros after other people already had made several posts about them. Definitely weird and confusing of me.

Who do you not trade from this team and why?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I would do...

Keep Chris Sale and Hector Santiago

Since they aren't going to compete in 2013 or 2014, try to make good deals with the rest of the roster--not necessarily trading all of them, but listen on anyone else on the roster, and try to build a winner for 2015--but also have an organization in place that's better suited to compete every year.

Hopefully over the next couple years, some of the players the Sox drafted come along, Erik Johnson, Scott Snodgress, Chris Bassitt, Chris Beck, Micah Johnson, of course Courtney Hawkins, Trayce Thompson, Keenyn Walker....and then further along some of the international signings they made last year get in the system and produce some fruit.

In my opinion, it's time for the Sox to take their medicine for a couple years (not five). Keep in mind this will be five years without the postseason, and the Sox are a coin flip away from not making the postseason since 2005. So whatever they've been doing hasn't worked.

As far as the front office, I'm not down on Hahn yet. It's an incomplete grade at this point. I wish Kenny Williams would leave the organization, so there's a clear decision maker in Hahn.

And of course Ventura will be out after 2013 or 2014. I'm hoping he steps aside after this season.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2013 -> 10:34 AM)
They're selling off every piece with any trade value, removing all of their big contracts, saving as much money as possible by moving bad deals like Carlos Lee for scraps, losing every single year, winning 55 games a year, cutting their attendance to 1.6 million last year, cutting their payroll to $20 million this year, and winding up with a borderline top 10 system after more than half a decade of losing.

You know, exactly what your post wants the White Sox to do.

Alexei Ramirez is single-handedly keeping White Sox attendance up? Lamenting the loss of Carlos Lee, are you kidding me??

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (flavum @ May 11, 2013 -> 11:34 AM)
What I would do...

Since they aren't going to compete in 2013 or 2014, try to make good deals with the rest of the roster--not necessarily trading all of them, but listen on anyone else on the roster, and try to build a winner for 2015.

Hopefully over the next couple years, some of the players the Sox drafted come along, Erik Johnson, Scott Snodgress, Chris Bassitt, Chris Beck, Micah Johnson, of course Courtney Hawkins, Trayce Thompson, Keenyn Walker....and then further along some of the international signings they made last year get in the system and produce some fruit.

In my opinion, it's time for the Sox to take their medicine for a couple years (not five). Keep in mind this will be five years without the postseason, and the Sox are a coin flip away from not making the postseason since 2005. So whatever they've been doing hasn't worked.

As far as the front office, I'm not down on Hahn yet. It's an incomplete grade at the point. I wish Kenny Williams would leave the organization, so there's a clear decision maker in Hahn.

And of course Ventura will be out after 2013 or 2014. I'm hoping he steps aside after this season.

Why on Earth people have already concluded the White Sox can't be competitive in 2014 is beyond me. They have $30 million+ coming off the books already if they don't move anyone and they're loaded with pitching.

I'm getting to the point of agreeing about Ventura though.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 11, 2013 -> 11:36 AM)
Alexei Ramirez is single-handedly keeping White Sox attendance up? Lamenting the loss of Carlos Lee, are you kidding me??

They did exactly what you want us to do with guys like Pence and Tavares. And the end result has been...55 win seasons.

It's an incredibly beautiful example of the end result of your plan to give everyone away.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2013 -> 10:38 AM)
Why on Earth people have already concluded the White Sox can't be competitive in 2014 is beyond me. They have $30 million+ coming off the books already if they don't move anyone and they're loaded with pitching.

I'm getting to the point of agreeing about Ventura though.

Well, maybe they could compete in 2014. Depends on what moves they can make.

But my expectations are low until they can get Adam Dunn off this roster. He's a team killer.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 11, 2013 -> 10:34 AM)
What I would do...

Since they aren't going to compete in 2013 or 2014, try to make good deals with the rest of the roster--not necessarily trading all of them, but listen on anyone else on the roster, and try to build a winner for 2015--but also have an organization in place that's better suited to compete every year.

As far as the front office, I'm not down on Hahn yet. It's an incomplete grade at this point. I wish Kenny Williams would leave the organization, so there's a clear decision maker in Hahn.

I agree with this. I thought they could keep both Santiago and Quintana, but there are too many holes offensively. Quintana might be able to bring back something decent. When KW does leave the organization, I wouldn't be surprised to see LaRussa take his spot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2013 -> 10:40 AM)
They did exactly what you want us to do with guys like Pence and Tavares. And the end result has been...55 win seasons.

It's an incredibly beautiful example of the end result of your plan to give everyone away.

Okay, what's your plan to compete in 2014. How do you use this money?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2013 -> 10:40 AM)

Tavares are you serious?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2013 -> 09:40 AM)

Or the Mariners. Although they have at least kept King Felix. The Twins have had no choice but to hold on to Mauer and Morneau.

The Padres are at least trying to keep Headley and traded for Quentin last year.

And we'll have the beautiful rebuilding example of the Cubs to follow thanks to the Chicago media.

But CLE or Miami is about the worst-case scenario....where the fans have grown to dislike management (Dolan and Loria) so much, they wouldn't even support a team that had recently won 10 of 11, added Bourn and Swisher and Francona, etc.

About the only counter-example that's working is the A's. Some would say the Pirates and Royals are on the verge of a breakthrough, as well.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 11, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)
Okay, what's your plan to compete in 2014. How do you use this money?

Hire whoever advised you to pick Josh Hamilton and Zach Greinke as your big additions to the White Sox.

Because those two moves would have worked out wonderfully...

Tony LaRussa will be 67 this October. Are we seriously going to go backwards in time? LaRussa as GM at this point in his life would make about as much sense as Harrelson did.

Simply because it would be a complete break from the KW/Hahn regime, I can't say that I would oppose it 100% because I don't have much faith in Hahn or Buddy Bell or Paddy, either.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2013 -> 04:38 PM)

To me, the gap just seems so wide between the Sox and the Tigers right now, so it's hard to picture the Sox having enough offense to compete with them. If they do use that money like you mentioned, they need to strike gold obviously as opposed to the recent flops they've signed via free agency.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2013 -> 03:52 PM)
This thread should be more appropriately titled: "What I would do if I was kidnapped and my family threatened by sleeper agents of the Detroit Tigers and forced to destroy the White Sox organization by any and all possible means from inside..."

I've noticed you're only positive in your comments about the Sox if you're arguing with marty :)

QUOTE (fathom @ May 11, 2013 -> 10:55 AM)
I would trade Alexei and give Beckham a shot at SS the rest of the year. Sox have some promising 2B in the system, and Beckham's value to the organization increases mightily if he can play a decent SS.

Good idea. Could live with his range, just wonder about his arm. Didn't he develop some soreness at one point when he was over at third?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 11, 2013 -> 04:59 PM)
Good idea. Could live with his range, just wonder about his arm. Didn't he develop some soreness at one point when he was over at third?

I can't remember that long ago, I was busy planning my trip to New York to see Beckham's induction speech into the HOF :(

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 11, 2013 -> 12:01 PM)
Gotchya. Point still stands. ;)

Actually, Rodriguez is probably an excellent comparison for how little the Sox should actually expect back for Peavy. Bunch of guys who have contributed little to not at all, and maybe 1 guy who could turn into something useful but who needs a lot of time to develop.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2013 -> 05:07 PM)
Actually, Rodriguez is probably an excellent comparison for how little the Sox should actually expect back for Peavy. Bunch of guys who have contributed little to not at all, and maybe 1 guy who could turn into something useful but who needs a lot of time to develop.

Wandy was someone that many thought would be impossible for Astros to trade due to the money left on his deal, as well as the belief many had that he would be a terrible fit in the NL. With Peavy, he's clearly signed for below-market value, so I would expect a much bigger return for him.

Edited by fathom