Men's vs Women's Athletic Ability

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 07:47 AM)
I believe it was a year ago, Illinois played the first four minutes of a game using a women's ball, I think they were missing everything.

What's your point ? Not having ever used a ball like that wold take some getting used to it . Since its heavier I can see plenty of shots being long. After an adjustment period and practicing with it for an extended period of time. I'm 100% certain shooting percentages would improve.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 06:52 PM)
What's your point ? Not having ever used a ball like that wold take some getting used to it . Since its heavier I can see plenty of shots being long. After an adjustment period and practicing with it for an extended period of time. I'm 100% certain shooting percentages would improve.

So is shooting jump shots with a baseball easier than shooting with a basketball?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 05:09 PM)
So is shooting jump shots with a baseball easier than shooting with a basketball?

Not sure what your point is. The sport might've developed differently if the ball was baseball sized. Might not even be what we now call jump shots. A ball that small creates a whole other game, maybe a smaller rim or higher up . A ball that's 1/2 inch (guessing at the difference) smaller in circumference like the women's ball doesn't create any difference it the way you shoot the ball . You'd only have to get accustomed to the difference in weight but shoot the shot in the same way.

Plus you can't dribble a baseball.

If your baseball basketball game is allowed 50 years to develop and the rim is the same size and height ,however they end up shooting the ball , whatever technique is perfected and grown up with , then yes I think that smaller ball would result in better shooting percentages.

• 2 weeks later...

The women's basketball team at my college only had 8 players, so there were 4 of us guys that practiced with them. The smaller ball was weird for about a week, but after that seemed like my shot was a lot better. I was also able to dunk it in a scrimmage game, which I was never able to do in an intramural game or pickup game. I was not good enough to make my college team, but was a superstar playing against the women. The top player we had resented us guys practicing with them, and threw well placed elbows when she could, but I know the guards liked it as they told us it made them better players. What sucked was when intramural started back up and I was switching back and forth between the different sizes.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
Why does softball exist? Why can't women play baseball?

No clue. Seems like an arbitrary thing, to me. You'd think with some of the unexceptional athletes that can make it in baseball, you'd be able to find a woman here or there that could cut it. I mean, you'd think if David Eckstein can be an All-Star caliber player that the top woman baseballers could probably cut it if there was a system in place to train young girls in baseball instead of softball.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
That is true, though except for Britany Greiner, I believe all of the dunks by women have been two-handed, so ball size doesn't matter in that specific case, but yes, it does affect shooting, ball handling, and the ability to dunk with one hand.

Brittney Griner*

I didn't think it was possible to f*** up that name as much as you did, but congrats. Add in the fact that every dunk (other than Griner) in WNBA history has been one-handed, and your post is just full of all sorts of wrong.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
If she's arguing about basketball being similar, you're never going to win. There's such a HUGE height difference, a lot of the WNBA power forwards are in the 6'5" range.

Also not true. WNBA power forwards (in general) are 6'1/6'2", not 6'5".

You are correct that there isn't an argument to the games being similar. They are completely different games. Yes, they're both basketball, but the styles of play in the men's and women's game are dramatically different. Anyone that says otherwise is foolish. I'm not saying one is better than the other, since that's a subjective opinion, but the biggest logic flaw with people who dislike the women's game (especially on these misogynistic forums) is comparing the two sports as if they're the same game.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 03:31 PM)
No clue. Seems like an arbitrary thing, to me. You'd think with some of the unexceptional athletes that can make it in baseball, you'd be able to find a woman here or there that could cut it. I mean, you'd think if David Eckstein can be an All-Star caliber player that the top woman baseballers could probably cut it if there was a system in place to train young girls in baseball instead of softball.

How many girls do you even hear about playing HS baseball, the size/strength differences start appearing real quick.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 04:33 PM)
How many girls do you even hear about playing HS baseball, the size/strength differences start appearing real quick.

Someone can kiss my ass if Jennie Finch couldn't have been a HS baseball player

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 05:10 PM)
Someone can kiss my ass if Jennie Finch couldn't have been a HS baseball player

This is completely anecdotal and I know I can't really compare my athletic ability to Jennie Finch's but take it FWIW.

I grew up playing fast-pitch softball. From age 5 to 16 I played every summer. I wasn't the best player but I was one of the better ones in the league and I was a pitcher as well. One year a coach decided to put a team together to go to national tournament in South Dakota and I was one of the guys he chose.

When I got to HS I tried out for the baseball team. Didn't make it freshman or sophomore year. Finally made JV during my junior year. I'm pretty sure I only got one hit all year long and was used mostly as a pinch-runner. I didn't even bother senior year.

It was really tough to transition from hitting a softball thrown from 40 feet that tends to move at an upward angle from the pitchers hand to hitting a hardball from 60 feet that tends to move at a downward angle from the pitchers hand.

Unless you're saying that Finch could have made a HS team had she been trained in baseball rather than softball from a young age, I have some serious doubts that she could do it.