SOX DRAFT PICKS 2013

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 10:06 PM)
They do that on a semi-regular basis. Obviously if they liked the player in the first place there's a good chance they still like him a few years later.

The Sox have almost $800k for those players. If Michalczewski and Freudenberg signed for slot - I think they probably signed for more than slot - the Sox would have $420k for overslot players outside the top 10 rounds. The $420k is the combined amount underslot the bonuses for the eight players that we know the bonuses for. So the Sox have those numbers plus the slot bonuses for Michalczewski and Freudenberg as far as we know.

Either way, I doubt $300-400k is enough for Rodriguez. Maybe Engel bites for that much, but honestly, he doesn't interest me at all.

What I meant was the Sox have savings of $420K they can sign over the slot value for the rest of their picks. You can't really factor in Freudenberg's slot money when considering how much slot value savings we are going to have, he will at least sign for slot value, and if he doesn't sign, the Sox will lose the slot value.

On a side note, this only goes to show you how hard it is to sign high potential high school players that aren't drafted in the first two rounds in this new system. You can sign several picks under slot in the first 10 rounds, but in reality, you will only have enough to sign one or maybe two high impact high school players past round 10. We only drafted 7 high school players this year, and it looks like we will come away with only 4.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 01:27 PM)
Does the new CBA still allow a team to pay for college costs for high school signees? If so does that count against a teams bonus allotment?

Someone will have to look this up, but my understanding is that that is an MLB program available to everyone. I could be way off base, though.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 01:27 PM)
Does the new CBA still allow a team to pay for college costs for high school signees? If so does that count against a teams bonus allotment?

Yes, and no it will not count against the pool value. I believe Michalczewki's contract has the future tuition stipulation as well.

Where is Marty34 in this thread now? Certain people didn't understand why the Sox took a Jacob May in round 3. If you have to, just pretend that Anderson, Mitchell, Danish, and Michalczewski were the Sox first 4 picks. This is why you have to look at the entire draft before commenting. White Sox have done a nice job of adding through the draft the last 2 years. I hope it continues. Now hopefully their efforts in Latin America and overseas can start making a positive dent as well.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 04:50 PM)
Where is Marty34 in this thread now? Certain people didn't understand why the Sox took a Jacob May in round 3. If you have to, just pretend that Anderson, Mitchell, Danish, and Michalczewski were the Sox first 4 picks. This is why you have to look at the entire draft before commenting. White Sox have done a nice job of adding through the draft the last 2 years. I hope it continues. Now hopefully their efforts in Latin America and overseas can start making a positive dent as well.

Strong and solid point. These types of transactions have to be analyzed in the totality of the Sox draft class.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 03:50 PM)

Good post and yeah, I think this was a pretty darn good draft considering we didn't even have a high pick guy to get all excited about.

OK, there are 8 guys still not signed at this point. Here is a quick look:

12 (363) Tyler Shryock: His tweets indicate he is about to start his pro career, so he is probably signed or soon will be.

13 (393) Daniel Hayes: Still playing in CWS, can't sign yet

17 (513) Joey Wagman: No indications on him yet

19 (537) Adam Engel: Still playing in CWS, can't sign yet, might be a signability issue

33 (993) Octavio Rodriguez: True signability issue, this would be a big get

34 (1023) Tyrell King: No indications on him yet

39 (1173) Wolfie Tash: No indications on him yet, hit very well for Venice HS, might be a signing issue?

40 (1203) Ronell Coleman: Sox academy grad, not likely to sign, Vandy commit

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 09:57 AM)
We are now only just under $100k to the good after getting the Trey Michalczewski number. That is going to make Rodriguez about impossible unless we save a ton of money with Chris Freudenberg and the team is willing to go over its number a bit.

We don't yet know the other signing numbers yet though, they could save bits and pieces along the way still to add to that flexibility.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 10:18 AM)
We don't yet know the other signing numbers yet though, they could save bits and pieces along the way still to add to that flexibility.

Chris Freudenberg is the only top 10 guy left with his number not known, and his slot value is $154k. There isn't much more to be saved. At this point it is all about building a relationship with Rodriguez and hoping it pays off in three years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 10:39 AM)
Chris Freudenberg is the only top 10 guy left with his number not known, and his slot value is $154k. There isn't much more to be saved. At this point it is all about building a relationship with Rodriguez and hoping it pays off in three years.

And the other picks, 11-40, need to be paid too. There is variance as to how much they are paid, which impacts the pool amount. So I wouldn't say that is known yet.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 11:49 AM)
And the other picks, 11-40, need to be paid too. There is variance as to how much they are paid, which impacts the pool amount. So I wouldn't say that is known yet.

But they can't help it get any better, only worse.

There is a 100K per pick limit in rounds 11-40. No pool for those picks. If you go over 100k on any pick 11-40, even if you went 1K on others, the overage is taken out of your 1-10 pool. 100K or less on any of those picks doesn't affect your allowed expenditures.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 12:01 PM)
Why? Are you saying the amount of overhead you noted is the remaining pool (assuming Freudenberg is slot) TOTAL underneath the pool limit?

Yes

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 12:54 PM)
Yes

OK, based on your post above this... if we have 100k of overage available, that means they most they could offer any pick without penalty is 200k... right?

If that is the case, probably right that it isn't enough for Rodriguez, but I am sure they will try. If Freudenberg signed below slot, maybe they can add some money to the pool.

I wonder if this Wolfie Tash guy is someone they have as a backup plan for throwing extra money at, if they can't get Octavio.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 12:01 PM)
Why? Are you saying the amount of overhead you noted is the remaining pool (assuming Freudenberg is slot) TOTAL underneath the pool limit?

There might be other signings from rounds 11-40 that signed for over slot, we just don't know yet.

But the signing of Matt Ball probably took away the $100K we have left after the Michalczewski signing. Which makes the signing of Rodriguez impossible. We can still sign Engel if we want to go up to 5% over pool limit, and pay the 75% tax (assuming the rest of the round 11-40 signings only signed for $100K or less).

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 12:54 PM)
There is a 100K per pick limit in rounds 11-40. No pool for those picks. If you go over 100k on any pick 11-40, even if you went 1K on others, the overage is taken out of your 1-10 pool. 100K or less on any of those picks doesn't affect your allowed expenditures.

This is what I was getting at.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 01:03 PM)
There might be other signings from rounds 11-40 that signed for over slot, we just don't know yet.

But the signing of Matt Ball probably took away the $100K we have left after the Michalczewski signing. Which makes the signing of Rodriguez impossible. We can still sign Engel if we want to go up to 5% over pool limit, and pay the 75% tax (assuming the rest of the round 11-40 signings only signed for $100K or less).

I get the impression Engel won't be a super-tough sign, slot or slightly over might do it. But I agree that Rodriguez is probably off the board, now that I have a better understanding of the math.

He won't be a tougher sign than Rodriguez, but Engel is a toolsy outfielder, ranked pretty high on the BA draft board(~150). He was perceived as a 4 or 5th round talent. So it depends if he fell due to signability issue or his draft stock just fell.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
What makes you so optimistic about Engel?

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
He won't be a tougher sign than Rodriguez, but Engel is a toolsy outfielder, ranked pretty high on the BA draft board(~150). He was perceived as a 4 or 5th round talent. So it depends if he fell due to signability issue or his draft stock just fell.

He's not as easy a sign as others around him of course, but... he had a weak showing in the Cape Code League, and followed that with a weak spring, which resulted in his draft stock falling. Toolsy yes, but still had enough struggles that no one wanted to use a Top 10 pick on him. This isn't a high school kid either, he's got one year of eligibility left. I don't have any specific knowledge, just a general impression (a guess really) that slightly over slot would get it done. I could of course be wrong.