NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 05:11 PM)
I guess I just don't understand what they could have done differently. If all this falls on the fact they didn't get Lebron to play here then that's silly. Those guys had a plan and there was nothing the Bulls could have done about it. They then got the next best FA and proceeded to be one of the "winningest" teams in the NBA. No they didn't win a title with said team but that's because their star player has been made of pyrek. We never got to see how far the team they assembled could have really gone.

What other big moves have they missed out on?

They were perpetually linked to Kevin Garnett, whiffed on 2000 free agency period (signed eddie robinson instead), Kobe Bryant in 06, Bron/Bosh/Wade in 2010, Howard sweepstakes.

The bulls of 00-08 were full of assets that they could have swung for a big splash. But they fall in love with their Kirk Hinrichs and cannot let go.

Instead of a "WHAT COULD THEY HAVE DONE", look at the superstars that have switched hands since 2000 and then tell me the bulls assets could have never landed anyone. Where there's a will there's a way.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
They have a ton of money next year. That was the issue, they were asking Melo to wait for help in 2015-16.

I am kind of convinced too that the Knicks will not do him any favors. They hired Phil because they thought they'd get the recruiting efforts for stars like Pat Riley. If his first move is to lose their only star that would be a huge blow.

Assuming Love gets traded and signs an extension, and LeBron never becomes a Knick, look at the 2015 free agent list and the rest of the Knicks roster. Aldridge would be a good signing, but that team wouldn't be a title contender IMO.

If they or any team can land LeBron, everything changes.

Start dreaming big!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1705220...-in-2014/page/3

If James' primary goal in 2014 is to be in position to win as many championships as possible, it'll be difficult for any team to trump the Chicago Bulls' pitch.

While the Miami Heat's core will be on the wrong side of 30 following the 2013-14 season, the Bulls' top players will all be in the midst of their primes.

Assuming Derrick Rose suffers no complications in 2013-14 while returning from ACL surgery, he'll quickly regain his status as one of the NBA's top players. He's the only player besides James to have won the league's MVP award within the past five seasons, after all.

In the frontcourt, Joakim Noah would be the best defensive big man James ever has had the pleasure of playing with. A starting five of Rose, James, Noah, Taj Gibson and Jimmy Butler would be virtually unstoppable on both ends of the court.

If the Bulls exercise their amnesty provision on Carlos Boozer in 2014, they'd have approximately $46.7 million committed to seven players, according to HoopsWorld. With the 2014-15 salary cap projected to be $62.5 million, according to ESPN.com's Larry Coon, that would leave just under $16 million for the Bulls to sign James without making any other moves.

On paper, the Bulls were one of the strongest contenders for James' services back in 2010. Four years later, they'll only be even more well-positioned to land the four-time MVP in free agency if James is willing to take a slight discount.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 05:12 PM)
They have missed out on every single big move over the last 10-15 years. It is easier to say which ones they hit on.

Draft Rose.

Ben Wallace was a big FA move, but ultimately a bust.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 11:12 AM)
They have missed out on every single big move over the last 10-15 years. It is easier to say which ones they hit on.

Draft Rose.

Gar Forman has been the GM since 09....I thought we were talking about THIS FO? This to me is like blaming Hahn for moves KW made.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 05:18 PM)
Gar Forman has been the GM since 09....I thought we were talking about THIS FO? This to me is like blaming Hahn for moves KW made.

There's a reason GarPax is a thing.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)
They were perpetually linked to Kevin Garnett, whiffed on 2000 free agency period (signed eddie robinson instead), Kobe Bryant in 06, Bron/Bosh/Wade in 2010, Howard sweepstakes.

The bulls of 00-08 were full of assets that they could have swung for a big splash. But they fall in love with their Kirk Hinrichs and cannot let go.

Instead of a "WHAT COULD THEY HAVE DONE", look at the superstars that have switched hands since 2000 and then tell me the bulls assets could have never landed anyone. Where there's a will there's a way.

That Kobe trade in 2006 was never happening. Totally a contract negotiation move.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 05:16 PM)
Assuming Love gets traded and signs an extension, and LeBron never becomes a Knick, look at the 2015 free agent list and the rest of the Knicks roster. Aldridge would be a good signing, but that team wouldn't be a title contender IMO.

If they or any team can land LeBron, everything changes.

Yeah, ultimately that's why I think Melo is out. Melo/Chandler plus some role players I think would be their pitch, but not having draft picks during this time is just KILLER to a rebuild.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
There's a reason GarPax is a thing.

You'll have to explain this one to me, I can honestly say that the 2010 team is what brought me back to basketball. I will admit that I didn't watch much of the dark days post Jordan.

Are you saying Pax is still making the moves? Or Gar was making the moves even before 09?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 05:25 PM)
You'll have to explain this one to me, I can honestly say that the 2010 team is what brought me back to basketball. I will admit that I didn't watch much of the dark days post Jordan.

Are you saying Pax is still making the moves? Or Gar was making the moves even before 09?

Last reply in this thread, let's move it over.

Idea is that Paxson is very much involved in direction of team's personnel. I would say Forman probably leads scouting and development but this is very much a Paxson team still.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
Last reply in this thread, let's move it over.

Idea is that Paxson is very much involved in direction of team's personnel. I would say Forman probably leads scouting and development but this is very much a Paxson team still.

Do you have anything at all to base that on? Weren't we all kinda saying the same thing about KW/Hahn? But now that we're actually doing some good things all praise goes to Hahn.

Whatever though, we can be done with this, I'm sure there's no changing the minds of those who hate this FO so I'm just wearing out my fingers here.