Jesse Crain dealt to Tampa Bay

southsider2k5

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 19, 2013 -> 05:09 PM)
Thanks for the update. I was wondering what was up with Crain. If the Rays get a final week out of him what do we get in return I wonder? Plus if they take a wild card spot does Jesse get to play ?

At this point, I think we get the cash.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 19, 2013 -> 04:09 PM)
Thanks for the update. I was wondering what was up with Crain. If the Rays get a final week out of him what do we get in return I wonder? Plus if they take a wild card spot does Jesse get to play ?

Players that were on the DL as of the September 1 cutoff are eligible for postseason play. So yes Crain will get to pitch in the playoffs if they get there.

I'd expect basically nothing from the Crain trade. I saw some reports that the return was not related to his playing time, but some that it was, so I'm not real sure how that all falls out. But the Rays picked up Crain knowing this risk, so even if the list of possible PTBNL's was completed at trade time, the list won't have any significant prospects on it. At best, it is some low level lottery ticket prospect. Maybe just the cash.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 21, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
Wow. Anyway I think Crain, if healthy, is a heckuva boost as the set up man. Hopefully we don't just pass on him

The fact that he's missed half the season could certainly keep his FA pricetag down for next year. That said, no idea what kind of roster they're planning to put together. If they want to be competitive I'd guess they need at least 1 veteran arm in that bullpen but I would think a lefty would be a higher priority.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 21, 2013 -> 04:45 PM)
Sox acquire Frank Los Santos from the Rays unrelated to the Crain trade per Hayes.

From MLBtrade rumors

White Sox Acquire Frank De Los Santos

By Zach Links [september 21, 2013 at 4:45pm CST]

The White Sox have acquired pitcher Frank De Los Santos from the Rays, according to Roger Mooney of The Tampa Tribune (on Twitter). The Rays will receive cash considerations or a player to be named later in return.

De Los Santos, 25, had a 5.34 ERA in 32 innings pitched for the Rays' Triple-A affiliate this year. He has yet to appear in the majors. The left-hander has seven seasons on his minor league resume. His best may have been 2012, when he posted a 2.11 ERA in 81 innings across stops at Double-A and Triple-A.

The 6-foot Dominican didn't feature on Baseball America's Rays' top 10 prospects list over the winter.

http://www.draysbay.com/2013/2/1/3940648/d...ity-prospect-30

Frank De Los Santos (LHRP, 24, AA-AAA): A product of the Rays efforts in Latin America, Frank De Los Santos has two good pitches in his low to mid-90s fastball and his slider. Despite the good stuff, he has consistently had pedestrian strike out rates in the minors (2012: 5.7 K/9, Career: 6 K/9) while walking around two and a half batters per nine innings.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/white-sox-min...15953--mlb.html

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) -- The Chicago White Sox have acquired minor league pitcher Frank De Los Santos in a trade with the Tampa Bay Rays.

The 25-year-old De Los Santos went 1-2 with two saves and a 5.34 ERA in 26 games for Triple-A Durham this season. He was on Tampa Bay's 40-man roster, but has yet to pitch in the majors.

The Rays will receive cash or a player to be named in Saturday's trade.

Tampa Bay acquired All-Star reliever Jesse Crain from Chicago on July 29. Sidelined by a right shoulder strain, Crain has been throwing on the side for the Rays but has not been activated.

A spokesman for the White Sox said the deal for De Los Santos is a separate trade from the Crain deal.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 06:58 PM)

Says he was in high A and he's 25 so a little old for that league. I wonder if they start him in AAA next year. Hayes retweeted the Rays beat writer and the writer also said it involves another player and that the deal should be finalized tomorrow