Possible Alexei Destinations

Jake

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most interesting discussion would be Wong vs. Garcia.

Frankly, I'd go with Garcia because he has more upside...and we theoretically will need to replace DeAza and Rios in the next two weeks, if not the offseason.

I have no great hope that Carlos Sanchez is going to be a starter someday, but I'd rather wait more on him...and find an outfielder under cost control who would fit more appropriately with our rebuilding efforts.

Now if you package Crain and Alexei together, you can improve your return, but still no Castellanos unless Illitch is REALLY desperate.

If Peralta's only suspended 50 games, then they'll get him back in September and I'm guessing that he would also be included on the playoff roster (not how that works with suspended players and their status on Sept. 1, might need to be negotiated with the player's assocation)...so that would make them not quite AS desperate to trade for Alexei. They could get by with Santiago, unless the Indians really start putting the pressure on them and/or Verlander goes on the DL.

COMMENTARY (Ricky Lindsay, yahoo contributor network)| The baseball season is quickly approaching July 31, where one of the greatest debates throughout the sport starts heating up.

What should a team do with their top prospect?

The trade deadline is a time when everyone puts their caps on and plays GM, trying to decipher the best possible answer regarding their team's present and future.

It's no different in the Motor City, as it's been a midsummer ritual for the past five seasons. The Detroit Tigers have taken the "go big or go home" trade method since then, with mixed results.

Last season, the Tigers felt one of the worst pains of being a contender when they dealt top prospect Jacob Turner for Anibal Sanchez and Omar Infante. This year, they face the same impending decision this month regarding outfielder Nick Castellanos.

Castellanos, a first round draft pick in 2010, has climbed through the minors since making his professional debut fresh out of high school. Just a mere three years later, he's experiencing what every top prospect goes through while playing for contending organization -- the great unknown.

With only three weeks remaining to decide their plans for the immediate future, here are three options the Tigers consider when it comes to Castellanos:

Leave him in the minors

Ever hear of the old saying, "you can't rush perfection?" It just so happens to be true.

Castellanos is far from perfection, but every professional hitter not named Bryce Harper or Mike Trout needs some amount of practice before making the show.

Imagine ordering a side of fries at your favorite restaurant. If they were delivered to your table, missing the greatness of seasoning, then they're just bland fries. They demand an "eh" response.

The same can be said for Castellanos.

If the Tigers -- or whomever might control him come August -- rush his development, he may wind up being bland when he's "finished." He needs that perfect amount of seasoning before being served to the fans anxiously awaiting his arrival.

Trade him

For some strange reason, this happens to be the most popular option amongst Tigers fans. It's the one move I'd plead the team to avoid making, but at the end of the day, baseball is a business.

Since Castellanos is a highly touted prospect, many teams would be interested in his services. The Tigers are currently in need of bullpen help, perhaps even a true closer, before the trade deadline. Both go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Relievers such as Huston Street, Jonathan Papelbon, and John Axford all fit the bill the regarding the Tigers needs and could find themselves in the team's shopping cart in the coming weeks.

It's likely the Tigers couldn't finish a deal for one of those relievers with just Castellanos, though. Giving up the 21-year-old outfielder and others for a rental or an above average reliever would be a huge risk, but could be the one to push them over the hump.

Promote him

There's not much left for Castellanos to prove at the minor league level. He was just ranked the no. 15 in Baseball America's midseason Top 50 prospects after an impressive first-half.

After an impressive June, one in which he had a .361/.441/.583 slash line with five home runs and 15 RBIs, Castellanos has made the Triple A All-Star team. Though, he opted to skip it with his wife expecting the couple's first child.

A large portion of his .288 average, 11 home runs, and 47 RBIs have come on the heels of his April struggles. This alone is enough to make Tigers' left fielders sweat with anxiety -- they know he's coming, they just don't know when.

Andy Dirks, Matt Tuiasosopo, and Don Kelly -- the Tigers current group of left fielders -- have combined to hit .265 with 15 home runs and 55 RBIs in 452 at bats this year.

Though it may not appear like the Tigers have offensive inconsistencies at this moment, it's a good bet that they will return once their bats return to earth. Castellanos can provide spark down the stretch, and if called up before August 31, he can continue that into the postseason.

For the next three weeks, Castellanos will be surrounded by the unknown. Nobody knows what will happen to him, or how soon his future will become a reality.

The Tigers can take many routes regarding their top prospect's future. Only time will tell which one they'll take.

Ricky Lindsay has followed the Detroit Tigers and Major League Baseball with a close eye from Metro Detroit for several years. He's the sports editor for his college newspaper, The Michigan Journal, and broadcasts games for the Michigan Lightning, a semi-professional football team

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 11:29 AM)
The most interesting discussion would be Wong vs. Garcia.

Frankly, I'd go with Garcia because he has more upside...and we theoretically will need to replace DeAza and Rios in the next two weeks, if not the offseason.

I have no great hope that Carlos Sanchez is going to be a starter someday, but I'd rather wait more on him...and find an outfielder under cost control who would fit more appropriately with our rebuilding efforts.

Now if you package Crain and Alexei together, you can improve your return, but still no Castellanos unless Illitch is REALLY desperate.

If Peralta's only suspended 50 games, then they'll get him back in September and I'm guessing that he would also be included on the playoff roster (not how that works with suspended players and their status on Sept. 1, might need to be negotiated with the player's assocation)...so that would make them not quite AS desperate to trade for Alexei. They could get by with Santiago, unless the Indians really start putting the pressure on them and/or Verlander goes on the DL.

I've read with the appeals process, the suspensions will all probably happen in 2014.

An interesting note-Carlos Sanchez has played SS for Charlotte in 6 of the last 7 days. He has been hitting better in AAA. Maybe just to see what kind of SS he can play, to see if he is even an option there.

I definitely don't think Gordon would move full time to SS, as he's finally hitting. Let him get some long term hitting success to go with his stellar defense at 2b. [Though he may get some looks for a few days if Alexei's leg needs some rest].

Of all the pieces the Sox should net with their trades, a top SS prospect should be a #1 priority. Someone who can take over to start 2014, and see some action this year as well.

Cardinal fan, again.

Buster Olney tweeted yesterday that the Cardinals and Indians were again discussing Asdrubal Cabrera. While I am sure that such discussions have taken place, I think the results will be like last winter. The Indians still want one of the Cardinal good young pitchers - Wacha, Miller, Rosenthal, or Martinez - and I am pretty sure the Cardinals will not do that.

All roads lead back to the White Sox, IMO. The question is what Hahn would want in return? I have tried to play GM with my neighbor who is a lifelong White Sox fan. Nothing that I have suggested pleases him so I feel for Mozeliak - Hahn. I did think that the White Sox would have gotten slightly more for Thornton so now I am really confused.

I have thought that Wong + one (lower level) should do it but no according to my neighbor. What say all of you?

QUOTE (mike65 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 07:41 AM)
Cardinal fan, again.

Buster Olney tweeted yesterday that the Cardinals and Indians were again discussing Asdrubal Cabrera. While I am sure that such discussions have taken place, I think the results will be like last winter. The Indians still want one of the Cardinal good young pitchers - Wacha, Miller, Rosenthal, or Martinez - and I am pretty sure the Cardinals will not do that.

All roads lead back to the White Sox, IMO. The question is what Hahn would want in return? I have tried to play GM with my neighbor who is a lifelong White Sox fan. Nothing that I have suggested pleases him so I feel for Mozeliak - Hahn. I did think that the White Sox would have gotten slightly more for Thornton so now I am really confused.

I have thought that Wong + one (lower level) should do it but no according to my neighbor. What say all of you?

Then it's simple, if they're really desperate for Wong, they'll eat part of Alexei's salary.

That said, from everything you read, he looks like one of those prospects who's never going to be capable of putting Carpenter-like numbers...just a decent/average middle infielder.

If we REALLY want to improve, then we need to go after guys like Oscar Taveres.

I don't know what that would require, they don't need Erik Johnson.

Maybe Ramirez, DeAza, Trayce Thompson, N. Jones or Addison Reed for Tavares...and probably some cash going their way, too.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 07:55 AM)
Ramirez is one of those players who just doesn't impact a game. He's "just another guy" now that his power has disappeared. I'd take whatever I could for him to get that money owed off the books.

He's just another guy because of his contract going forward.

Then again, he's not because of the dearth of talent at that position, and the FA market being bereft of players at that position this off-season.

His overall defense (yeah, he's made more errors but his total chances make up for, like debating Valentin vs. Royce Clayton back in the day), speed/stolen bases, throwing arm and he still has doubles power make him one of the 2-3 most valuable shortstops that are ALSO theoretically available on the trade market.

When someone says he doesn't impact a game...the only way you'll notice is when he's no longer there and we'll say "wow, Beckham/Crede would have made that play" except they're not there to make it (like when Kepp was playing 2B everyday).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 09:55 AM)
Ramirez is one of those players who just doesn't impact a game. He's "just another guy" now that his power has disappeared. I'd take whatever I could for him to get that money owed off the books.

He impacts a game a lot. Either he helps it a lot by covering a ton of ground at SS or he impacts it by making a boneheaded error.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 08:58 AM)
He's just another guy because of his contract going forward.

Then again, he's not because of the dearth of talent at that position, and the FA market being bereft of players at that position this off-season.

His overall defense (yeah, he's made more errors but his total chances make up for, like debating Valentin vs. Royce Clayton back in the day), speed/stolen bases, throwing arm and he still has doubles power make him one of the 2-3 most valuable shortstops that are ALSO theoretically available on the trade market.

When someone says he doesn't impact a game...the only way you'll notice is when he's no longer there and we'll say "wow, Beckham/Crede would have made that play" except they're not there to make it (like when Kepp was playing 2B everyday).

Ramirez defensive ability is overstated. All you need to know about his value these days is he's an 8th place hitter on a terrible offensive team who is still owed ~$20M.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 10:18 AM)
Doesn't that cancel out his impact though?

Depends. Last year it was stellar. This year he's had the same level of focus everyone else on the team has had and thus screwed up a ton.

Last year he had only about a dozen errors and was a vacuum at SS because of it. This year he had a dozen errors through June.

QUOTE (mike65 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 08:41 AM)
Cardinal fan, again.

Mike here is what I will say. Taveras or all of the high level young pitching is an unrealistic return for Alexei. However, If I were Rick Hahn I would be asking for Matt Adams. I would probably take a deal built around Wong and another mid level prospect or 2 but that deal would take until the deadline. Adams is the type of guy that White Sox need to acquire in these deals. That may be too steep for St. Louis but that's what I'd ask for.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/pos.../OPS/order/true

Ramirez is around 11th or 12th out of qualified players for OPS. I would actually put him ahead of clubhouse cancel Yunel Escobar, but Tulo isn't quite qualified either...technically, he's somewhere in the 10-15 rank. Better than average.

6th in BA.

2nd in steals, which are not part of OPS calculations

#1 in durability and innings played. He almost NEVER EVER misses time out of the line-up, since he's been with the White Sox.

And most scouts believe he'll thrive playing for a contending team, just like the entire Dodgers' line-up has taken off when Puig and Hanley Ramirez were inserted into the line-up, Ethier, Kemp, A. Gonzalez and AJ Ellis started getting better pitches to hit.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 09:21 AM)
Depends. Last year it was stellar. This year he's had the same level of focus everyone else on the team has had and thus screwed up a ton.

Last year he had only about a dozen errors and was a vacuum at SS because of it. This year he had a dozen errors through June.

Nice to know you still make excuses. You have no idea what his "focus" has been.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 10:26 AM)
Nice to know you still make excuses. You have no idea what his "focus" has been.

Ok, then offer another explanation for why he has made errors this year at more than twice the rate of last year? Magic?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 08:24 AM)
Mike here is what I will say. Taveras or all of the high level young pitching is an unrealistic return for Alexei. However, If I were Rick Hahn I would be asking for Matt Adams. I would probably take a deal built around Wong and another mid level prospect or 2 but that deal would take until the deadline. Adams is the type of guy that White Sox need to acquire in these deals. That may be too steep for St. Louis but that's what I'd ask for.

They're also not going to be willing to give up David Freese, quite yet. Certainly not in the middle of this season.

John Jay probably could be had, as well.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 08:24 AM)

Thanks for the responses. Frankly, I would ask for Adams, also. Adams fits very well with the Cardinals and that is especially true if the team lets Beltran walk after this season. Adams would get 1B and Craig would go to RF.

I think Wong is someone who the White Sox could get. I also agree that it is a deal that would come near the deadline. I am going to suggest that Wong + Cory Jones (if the Cards would trade him) might get this done.