Managing a Rebuilding Team Wouldn't Scare Ventura

caulfield12

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 08:07 AM)
Ellsbury, Pence, McLouth, Cruz, Beltran (sort of an OF)

Honestly, from that list...Ellsbury is too expensive and a pipe dream, Pence would be a good veteran leader for our team and role model (but why would a SF Giant want to play on a rebuilding team except for money, and that's not Hunter Pence from everything I've read)...

McLouth is not someone you want to invest millions in.

Cruz has the PED's allegations hanging over his head.

The Cardinals are amazingly adept at knowing who to keep and who to jettison, and WHEN. If they let Beltran walk, there's a very good reason, and signing him to the type of money some big market teams will be able to throw at him, at his age, is foolhardy at best.

Granderson and Pence are the ones who are making the most sense so far. Choo will also be way out of our price range.

Honestly, if you combine our minor and major league operations, we're the WORST franchise in MLB right now....who would want to jump into that situation as a FA?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)
Honestly, from that list...Ellsbury is too expensive and a pipe dream, Pence would be a good veteran leader for our team and role model (but why would a SF Giant want to play on a rebuilding team except for money, and that's not Hunter Pence from everything I've read)...

McLouth is not someone you want to invest millions in.

Cruz has the PED's allegations hanging over his head.

The Cardinals are amazingly adept at knowing who to keep and who to jettison, and WHEN. If they let Beltran walk, there's a very good reason, and signing him to the type of money some big market teams will be able to throw at him, at his age, is foolhardy at best.

Granderson and Pence are the ones who are making the most sense so far. Choo will also be way out of our price range.

Honestly, if you combine our minor and major league operations, we're the WORST franchise in MLB right now....who would want to jump into that situation as a FA?

1. Granderson and Pence? Granderson is old, injury prone, bad defensively, and strikes out 25% of the time. Pence is a no-patience hack with a 6% walk rate and .309 OBP -- which is precisely what this team does not need.

2. Unquestionably, as you just defined it, the Marlins have to be the worst franchise in baseball. Especially now that they just gave away their best pitcher for salary relief despite already having a $30m payroll.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 08:45 AM)
1. Granderson and Pence? Granderson is old, injury prone, bad defensively, and strikes out 25% of the time. Pence is a no-patience hack with a 6% walk rate and .309 OBP -- which is precisely what this team does not need.

2. Unquestionably, as you just defined it, the Marlins have to be the worst franchise in baseball. Especially now that they just gave away their best pitcher for salary relief despite already having a $30m payroll.

Jose Fernandez far and away is their best pitcher...

This thread only proves there is really no good options that 1) aren't too expensive, like Choo or Ellsbury, 2) are capable of hitting both lefties and rights, and 3) aren't too old.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 01:38 PM)

This thread only proves there is really no good options that 1) aren't too expensive, like Choo or Ellsbury, 2) are capable of hitting both lefties and rights, and 3) aren't too old.

If the Sox can clear some salary elsewhere and move Rios, Choo fits a whole lot of this team's needs.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)

Agreed

Ventura reiterated today he wants to manage next year no matter the makeup of the team.

I've given up on this issue. My feeling is he's not going to be here in 2015, so what's the point of him being here in 2014? But, whatever. Finish out the three years, and the next guy will come in.

I asked Dan Hayes if he'd stand by his comment to me earlier in the season that the FO has "endless goodwill" for Robin. I said is he a guy they're committed to long-term? He said "without question."

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 01:01 PM)
Jesus. Good nugget of info Jake. Hopefully Robin learns from his mistakes.

He also tells me that Robin is considered family in the White Sox org. Now, on the other hand, he said Robin seems like a guy who could gracefully leave the job. My impression is that when/if Robin ceases to be our manager, it will be because the general manager changes or because Robin decides he doesn't want to manage. It has been made clear to me that Robin will continue to work for the front office in that case. The thing Robin doesn't want to deal with is being resented, which is why he was hesitant to take the extension; he doesn't want his employer to employ him just for the sake of not paying two managers, like flavum mentioned earlier.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 11:31 AM)
I asked Dan Hayes if he'd stand by his comment to me earlier in the season that the FO has "endless goodwill" for Robin. I said is he a guy they're committed to long-term? He said "without question."

Hawk interviewed Hayed early in the Phils game, and I wasn't able to hear it. Was anything said of value?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 08:45 AM)

I think you are selling Pence a bit short. Pretty good player, probably seen his best days, but he'll get some offers. He'll do better in a smaller park.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 04:30 PM)
Hawk interviewed Hayed early in the Phils game, and I wasn't able to hear it. Was anything said of value?

No. Just some talk about some of the guys rumored to be potentially traded getting a bit of a reality dose with Thornton actually getting moved.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 06:33 PM)
I think you are selling Pence a bit short. Pretty good player, probably seen his best days, but he'll get some offers. He'll do better in a smaller park.

I agree. I would really like to see him on the South Side