5/7 The Devil Rays Game Thread

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 6, 2013 -> 02:41 AM)
Get used to this in the 2nd half once the bullpen is shipped out.

Yep, this team has the potential to get the #1 pick in the draft. Tonight's game seems 2007-esque.

REading into Baseball America's subscriber content on Phegley, it's some stuff I've never heard of before. They basically say he didn't deserve the Gold Glove last year, but he has gotten very good at throwing out baserunners (48% caught last year). The book has been that he is excellent at blocking baseballs, but terrible at catching balls. They consistently comment each year on the high amount of passed balls and insist that these are not pitches that he fails to block, which is very strange.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 6, 2013 -> 02:59 AM)
It's pretty easy to see the issue with Castro. He can't control the run on his fastball.

or that his breaking pitch is horrendous. Hopefully he's just overthrowing it, cause if not, he will not last long at this level.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 09:00 PM)
or that his breaking pitch is horrendous. Hopefully he's just overthrowing it, cause if not, he will not last long at this level.

I'm trying to give him a pass on that today. He's hardly thrown one in a location where I can even evaluate it. Former back-to-back "Best Slider in Padres org." winner from BA. They commented entering this season that the pitch had regressed as had his mechanics. Supposedly a tireless worker, which makes his regression pretty confusing.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 6, 2013 -> 03:05 AM)
I'm trying to give him a pass on that today. He's hardly thrown one in a location where I can even evaluate it. Former back-to-back "Best Slider in Padres org." winner from BA. They commented entering this season that the pitch had regressed as had his mechanics. Supposedly a tireless worker, which makes his regression pretty confusing.

His velocity is down 2-3 mph in his 3rd inning of work

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 09:15 PM)
His velocity is down 2-3 mph in his 3rd inning of work

Strange. Wouldn't be such a surprise if he hadn't been a starter very recently