ARod suspended for entire 2014 season

Balta1701

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 7, 2014 -> 04:46 PM)
Wow. I am shocked to be honest.

Not me. I think Rodriguez sees the writing on the wall and realizes he's not likely to see his suspension reduced.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 7, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
I think he dropped the charges so that the arbitrator's findings didn't go public.

Which makes me wonder what Major League Baseball has on him. That he would drop his lawsuit suggests he knew he wasn't going to win the case, so MLB must have fairly significant evidence of his culpability that justifies his suspension.

--Captain Decker

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
Really? 634 posts seems like an indicator. Like I said, even if it was to boo.

If this happened in his prime, maybe that would be the case. But not for a 38 year old has-been. It isnt like he is must see TV anymore.

Now Ryan Braun, he may get some hate tickets

But Alex Rodriguez is a guy who MLB and several others at one time tried to trumpet as the best player of all time and the superhero to defeat the villainous Barry Bonds for the all time home run record. And then PEDs came to the forefront, and suddenly Rodriguez is vilified. Simply put, I think that alone is going to sell a significant amount of tickets. You can bet people will want to boo him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 04:57 PM)
But Alex Rodriguez is a guy who MLB and several others at one time tried to trumpet as the best player of all time and the superhero to defeat the villainous Barry Bonds for the all time home run record. And then PEDs came to the forefront, and suddenly Rodriguez is vilified. Simply put, I think that alone is going to sell a significant amount of tickets. You can bet people will want to boo him.

Now that Tex mentions it, this would be a good reason for me not to go see a Yankees game if he came back.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 03:58 PM)
Now that Tex mentions it, this would be a good reason for me not to go see a Yankees game if he came back.

I think you are in the minority though. Last year, his first game back was against the Sox. They drew 27,948. The very next night, Rodriguez's 2nd game back, that attendance fell to 23,826, and the 3rd was 25,707.

Mind you, all of this was coming off a 10 game losing streak with the Sox record at 40-69. Some has to do with the Yankees, but I think stating it's all because of the Yankees is naive too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 05:03 PM)
I think you are in the minority though. Last year, his first game back was against the Sox. They drew 27,948. The very next night, Rodriguez's 2nd game back, that attendance fell to 23,826, and the 3rd was 25,707.

Mind you, all of this was coming off a 10 game losing streak with the Sox record at 40-69. Some has to do with the Yankees, but I think stating it's all because of the Yankees is naive too.

That first game was on a Monday. 1/2 price tickets for that day?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 04:18 PM)
That first game was on a Monday. 1/2 price tickets for that day?

I don't think they did half price nights last year. At least for the Yankees. I still think ultimately the Yankees will either try to void the contract or just eat the money and release him. I don't know who would touch him now except for maybe the Marlins.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 09:02 PM)
Could you imagine if the Red Sox deal didn't get nixed by the union? Magglio would have destroyed in that lineup, and the white sox would have had a soon to be broken down Nomar and no BMac(and eventually no danks)

Would the injuries have played out the same way? That's the big trick.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 15, 2014 -> 12:14 AM)
With Herm around, Nomar would be doing a Jeter "circle jerk around baseball career finale" right about now

If he could have stayed healthy he would have been a HOF candidate by now, but his body clearly started breaking down by age 30, never played more than 122 games in a season after age 29. Not sure Herm is that level of miracle worker.

In the Grantland piece:

The part about his service time is fascinating. The 2001 Mariners with A-Rod...crazy. Bringing them a WS?

Nomar on the Sox? Maybe Herm does keep him alive. A-Rod breaking the Curse of Babe Ruth? Do the Sox still win in 2005? Does KW get Danks anyway cause he liked him?

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 11:14 PM)
With Herm around, Nomar would be doing a Jeter "circle jerk around baseball career finale" right about now

Nah, breaking down due to steroid use isn't in Herms cure sheet.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 11:09 PM)
Would the injuries have played out the same way? That's the big trick.

Obviously anything can happen, but we know that Magglios knee injury wouldn't have happened the way it did.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 15, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
It's amazing that Magglio, A-Rod, Nomar and Manny Ramirez were all either obviously or proven steroid users.

And if anyone watched the 30 for 30, I could not believe how much of a bonehead Kevin Millar is. I could not believe I never saw that clip. I don't know if he could have said anything dumber.

I know Canseco threw magglios name in his 2nd book but other than that, where does the statement that he and Nomar were obvious or proven users come from?

• 4 months later...