Ozzie

Princess Dye

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
Serious question here... What general manager is going to stake a large part of his job security on the stability of Ozzie Guillen?

I suspect Ozzie will take a coaching job where he can build up some trust and support if he was to manage again. It wouldn't surprise me if he spent the rest of his time in baseball as a coach.

He's actually surprisingly good when he is just about baseball and not about Ozzie and his bank account.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 06:40 PM)
I suspect Ozzie will take a coaching job where he can build up some trust and support if he was to manage again. It wouldn't surprise me if he spent the rest of his time in baseball as a coach.

Do you mean like a minor league position or as a 3rd base coach? If I were a manager I'd want no part of Ozzie Guillen on my staff. That's like signing Tebow in terms of generating an unnecessary media swarm.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 05:41 PM)
Do you mean like a minor league position or as a 3rd base coach? If I were a manager I'd want no part of Ozzie Guillen on my staff. That's like signing Tebow in terms of generating an unnecessary media swarm.

I think he will be a 3rd base coach or bench coach. Ozzie did say he regretted the Castro stuff, but he wasn't fired because of that. He was fired because the Marlins sucked. I thought he was obnoxious here the last couple years, but he has friends in the game. It is hard to describe how different he seems now. I know he is still going to say stupid things. He said the Castro thing when he was managing the White Sox and nobody said anything. But it seems his attitude has been reset to 2004. If I was an owner, I wouldn't let my GM hire him to manage, but to coach, definitely.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)
BS. The guy is going to be 50 in January. Do people really believe that he has finally been humbled at this age, after not being humbled after all of the other controversies that the guy has been through over the years? He learned now as opposed to when he said the players didn't owe the fans anythign during the 94 strike? Or when he ripped the White Sox after his release as a player? After his Cuba comments? After his "f**" comments? After the Oney stuff?

NOW, he gets it? Please. Put the heatlamp back on the guy, and he'll meltdown just like he always has.

You know before you hire Guillen it's going to be scorched earth policy when you have to let him go. Just like Billy Martin, if he manages the team to the playoffs, World Series it's worth it.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 06:00 PM)
You know before you hire Guillen it's going to be scorched earth policy when you have to let him go. Just like Billy Martin, if he manages the team to the playoffs, World Series it's worth it.

If it were only when he was let go, it wouldn't be nearly as big of a problem.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 05:48 PM)
I think he will be a 3rd base coach or bench coach. Ozzie did say he regretted the Castro stuff, but he wasn't fired because of that. He was fired because the Marlins sucked. I thought he was obnoxious here the last couple years, but he has friends in the game. It is hard to describe how different he seems now. I know he is still going to say stupid things. He said the Castro thing when he was managing the White Sox and nobody said anything. But it seems his attitude has been reset to 2004. If I was an owner, I wouldn't let my GM hire him to manage, but to coach, definitely.

I can't see Ozzie taking a backseat to anyone again. It is manage or bust for him.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 09:47 PM)
and because he is a lousy manager. i have a question for you greg. do you defend ozzie's choice of getting rid of thome for mark kotsay?

Not really. Kotsay is another bust who I disliked greatly. I always was of the opinion KW also was in the organization. He's as much to blame as Ozzie. What was Ozzie going to quit if he didn't get his way on Kotsay?

But in answer to your question. Ozzie obviously blew it there. I'm sure after a month he was as sick of Kotsay's lousy at bats as everybody else. But again, that's on Kenny as well as Ozzie. Doesn't Kenny have a say in anything?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 09:34 PM)
Not really. Kotsay is another bust who I disliked greatly. I always was of the opinion KW also was in the organization. He's as much to blame as Ozzie. What was Ozzie going to quit if he didn't get his way on Kotsay?

But in answer to your question. Ozzie obviously blew it there. I'm sure after a month he was as sick of Kotsay's lousy at bats as everybody else. But again, that's on Kenny as well as Ozzie. Doesn't Kenny have a say in anything?

Lord.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 09:34 PM)

On that one, no. Williams wanted Thome. He left the decision to Ozzie on that one for any number of reasons.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 10:56 PM)
On that one, no. Williams wanted Thome. He left the decision to Ozzie on that one for any number of reasons.

I understand the politics involved, but in the end it's the GM's roster. He let the inmates run the asylum and deserves some blame.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 05:37 AM)
I understand the politics involved, but in the end it's the GM's roster. He let the inmates run the asylum and deserves some blame.

I think he let the inmate (singular) run the asylum to prove a point. That point led to said inmate getting a job in Miami a year later and the White Sox to end up with one of the most unfairly hated players in franchise history.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 08:26 AM)
I think he let the inmate (singular) run the asylum to prove a point. That point led to said inmate getting a job in Miami a year later and the White Sox to end up with one of the most unfairly hated players in franchise history.

Proving that point also may have cost the Sox one more playoff berth in this most recent window that just closed, which is why I can't completely absolve KW of any blame.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 08:57 AM)
With the White Sox, that isn't always the case. Jerry does special exceptions.

Well if that's the case, then Jerry deserves some of the blame instead. I do agree with greg though, that you can't put full blame on the manager for a s***ty roster decision, there's the reason why managers don't have full control over everything.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 09:04 AM)
Well if that's the case, then Jerry deserves some of the blame instead. I do agree with greg though, that you can't put full blame on the manager for a s***ty roster decision, there's the reason why managers don't have full control over everything.

Of course, had it been up to Williams, Guillen would have been gone after 2009 too. All signs point to Williams preparing to fire him and Reinsdorf stopped that from happening too.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 09:04 AM)

What part of a roster of Juan Pierre's doesn't sound awesometacular to you?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 06:30 PM)
Can we get several Neifi Perez's to play the infield?

No, we already have Gillaspie and Keppinger and Lillibridge, a skinny guy who decided it was best to be a power hitter. Sox have had a ton of bad players on the roster of late, not just Ozzies.

Edited by greg775

I kind of took it like Kotsay was the rope that KW was happy to let Ozzie hang himself with. Maybe too black & white of a read on that, but Thome was slated to come back super cheap.......so the whole thing just seems to be missing certain elements.

Ozzie publicly said his #1 request that year was to have Kotsay back. I dont know that he insisted Kotsay get an every day role, but he insisted that he at least come back (after having had a nice stretch after being traded from Sox to Sox months prior)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)
No, we already have Gillaspie and Keppinger and Lillibridge, a skinny guy who decided it was best to be a power hitter. Sox have had a ton of bad players on the roster of late, not just Ozzies.

Lillibridge is on like this third team since leaving the White Sox lol.

But your point is true. He have Neifi Perez's except they are bad at defense too haha

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
I kind of took it like Kotsay was the rope that KW was happy to let Ozzie hang himself with. Maybe too black & white of a read on that, but Thome was slated to come back super cheap.......so the whole thing just seems to be missing certain elements.

Ozzie publicly said his #1 request that year was to have Kotsay back. I dont know that he insisted Kotsay get an every day role, but he insisted that he at least come back (after having had a nice stretch after being traded from Sox to Sox months prior)

That really was a completely boneheaded move. It was so dumb that there almost HAD to be some weird crap going on behind the scenes.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 08:23 PM)
Lillibridge is on like this third team since leaving the White Sox lol.

But your point is true. He have Neifi Perez's except they are bad at defense too haha

I know he's not still a Sox. Didn't write that correctly. He had to be the dumbest player alive thinking he was a power hitter. Also Erstad. Sox have had some really bad players.

They ought to have Viciedo just have a drill where somebody pitches to him and he has to take every single pitch to learn how to draw a walk. He has so much talent and he still has not emerged as a threat.