Saltalamacchia

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)
We arent? Who said? I have a feeling that nobody actually said this and its just people trying to add up how much money we have to spend on a guesstimated figure.

No there was an interview where he said that. I don't think he meant LITERALLY no free agents, but he implied that the major ones, where there would be a bidding war would likely be off limits.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)
Yeah he said that Abreu would most likely be our only big free agent signing and that he'd be looking to leverage the trade market for the rest of the offseason.

You know how silly that sounds and how much people can read into that? Its a broad statement and as a general manager you never fully give away what your doing this offseason.

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 04:05 PM)
You know how silly that sounds and how much people can read into that? Its a broad statement and as a general manager you never fully give away what your doing this offseason.

Except when you crunch the numbers and look at where the team is at now, it actually makes more sense than overpaying for second or third tier free agents.

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 04:05 PM)

I don't know, in the interview it sounded like he was trying to set expectations so that fans wouldn't be disappointed. Plus, it makes sense. He could be lying, I guess, but I wouldn't consider it safe to assume the opposite. There doesn't appear to be any reason to question the assertion.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 04:07 PM)
Except when you crunch the numbers and look at where the team is at now, it actually makes more sense than overpaying for second or third tier free agents.

Thus proving my original point is correct

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
I don't know, in the interview it sounded like he was trying to set expectations so that fans wouldn't be disappointed. Plus, it makes sense. He could be lying, I guess, but I wouldn't consider it safe to assume the opposite. There doesn't appear to be any reason to question the assertion.

For a major Free Agent signing? I wouldnt expect a 90 million signing like Choo. It all depends on what he feels is major which is why its a broad statement.

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 04:10 PM)
For a major Free Agent signing? I wouldnt expect a 90 million signing like Choo. It all depends on what he feels is major which is why its a broad statement.

Right. So was SS2k5's reference to a $10m/yr 36 year old catcher as a non-option something that wouldn't fall under what Hahn said?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 05:58 PM)
Hahn says probably no more free agents, so that means no more free agents. Ruiz's agent says he has a 2 year $20 million offer, so that means it is true? I think if he had that offer he would be signed by now.

It is November 12. No reason for him not to shop around and see if he could get more.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 06:06 PM)
It is November 12. No reason for him not to shop around and see if he could get more.

It's also negotiation. There is a great chance that offer from a mystery team does not exist.and if Ruiz was really offered that, he should take it before the team offering it comes to their senses.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 08:20 PM)
http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-...r-catching-plan

Basically stating that the White Sox could bring in a vet on a short term contract(1-2 year deal) and platoon with one of the catchers on our roster. Opens up a few possibilities.

Which makes sense if they don't want to max out on losses in 2014, and what they are looking for isn't available at a orice they want to pay.