Juan Uribe 3B

59th street

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Juan Uribe is going to be 34 years old next season and, prior to this season, put up a split of .199/.262/.289/.552 between 2011 and 2012.

Juan Uribe might be the last person on earth I want playing 3B for the White Sox, and I am a big Juan Uribe fan. This is the same thing as bringing back Paul Konerko or AJ Pierzynski.

Edited by witesoxfan

Uribe was very underappreciated when he did play here. Remember "snacks and cakes"? Now, 5 years later, the thought of bringing him back is overappreciating him. I always like Juan, and know he is capable of good things, but he always seems to do better when playing for a contract.

I think Semien is going to play 3B for the 2014 White Sox unless they bring in an at least close to stud 3B.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 10:10 AM)
Uribe was very underappreciated when he did play here. Remember "snacks and cakes"? Now, 5 years later, the thought of bringing him back is overappreciating him. I always like Juan, and know he is capable of good things, but he always seems to do better when playing for a contract.

I think Semien is going to play 3B for the 2014 White Sox unless they bring in an at least close to stud 3B.

Uribe was not underappreciated. Uribe was completely unreliable, struggled badly for several years, and contributed mightily to the years when the White Sox underperformed. He provided solid defense on the world series team and a stellar 2004 campaign.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
Uribe was not underappreciated. Uribe was completely unreliable, struggled badly for several years, and contributed mightily to the years when the White Sox underperformed. He provided solid defense on the world series team and a stellar 2004 campaign.

Whatever. He was a solid defender who hit home runs. He also helped the team playing 3B in 2008 when Crede went down and Josh Fields wasn't the stud many thought. I got ripped plenty of times for defending him. That is just a fact. Now 5 years later, some want to bring him back. It's almost as funny as a thread where people want Greg Walker back.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 10:22 AM)
Whatever. He was a solid defender who hit home runs. He also helped the team playing 3B in 2008 when Crede went down and Josh Fields wasn't the stud many thought. I got ripped plenty of times for defending him. That is just a fact. Now 5 years later, some want to bring him back. It's almost as funny as a thread where people want Greg Walker back.

If Gordon Beckham left, struggled for several more years, was a part time player, and then had a 5 WAR season in his early 30's, I'd say very similar things about Gordon Beckham.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:22 AM)

I think you seriously just made the best comparison in this situation, which also shows how ridiculous it would be for the White Sox even consider bringing Juan Uribe back to the organization.

Juan Uribe is incredibly unreliable and inconsistent. Signing him at 34 years old for a team in transition/rebuilding/retooling is silly, and I love Juan Uribe.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 05:58 AM)
I'd give anything to have Uribe replace the Kepp/Gillaspie duo for one year.

I think defensively Uribe would be an upgrade at 3B. Is he a starter though? People are too quick to say he has no role on this team. But, he sure did on the Giants and the Dodgers and they were winners. Uribe could be a super sub but he seems to always end up being a starter on good teams. I would not be so quick to dismiss the guy.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
I think defensively Uribe would be an upgrade at 3B. Is he a starter though? People are too quick to say he has no role on this team. But, he sure did on the Giants and the Dodgers and they were winners. Uribe could be a super sub but he seems to always end up being a starter on good teams. I would not be so quick to dismiss the guy.

Defensively Uribe might be an upgrade when you figure Keppinger in, but Gillaspie looked like one of the Sox's more reliable defenders last year to my eyes until he fell off a cliff at the end of the season (note the context in that he's getting compared to the rest of the team). I think he has room to grow into a decent defensive piece, but I have no idea what started happening to him around that 3 error game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)
Defensively Uribe might be an upgrade when you figure Keppinger in, but Gillaspie looked like one of the Sox's more reliable defenders last year to my eyes until he fell off a cliff at the end of the season (note the context in that he's getting compared to the rest of the team). I think he has room to grow into a decent defensive piece, but I have no idea what started happening to him around that 3 error game.

It had to be something in spring training.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 12:54 PM)
Because the one thing this actual discussion needed was someone to be an a**.

You pinned every other failure to spring training without even being there. Why can't this be blamed on that as well? And if he did field well at the beginning of the season even though he had a reputation of being a poor defender, wouldn't that hurt your theory that you have stated as fact at least 100 times that the White Sox problems were because they didn't work as hard during spring training.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)
You pinned every other failure to spring training without even being there. Why can't this be blamed on that as well? And if he did field well at the beginning of the season even though he had a reputation of being a poor defender, wouldn't that hurt your theory that you have stated as fact at least 100 times that the White Sox problems were because they didn't work as hard during spring training.

He had a reputation as a poor defender? Heck, he had a reputation prior to coming to the Sox as a fielder at all? I understood him as a "3b who didn't have big power and so couldn't break into the Giants rotation because of Sandoval but who might be useful to a team like the White Sox with no 3b incumbent". Can you back up his "reputation as a poor defender"?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 01:03 PM)
He had a reputation as a poor defender? Heck, he had a reputation prior to coming to the Sox as a fielder at all? I understood him as a "3b who didn't have big power and so couldn't break into the Giants rotation because of Sandoval but who might be useful to a team like the White Sox with no 3b incumbent". Can you back up his "reputation as a poor defender"?

From SSS:

Gillaspie's minor-league track record doesn't scream "sure bet." He hit .289/.368/.447 in Triple-A, and while that would be a fine line for the International League, it doesn't stand out in the hitter-friendly environs of the Pacific Coast League.

On top of that, his defense wasn't supposed to be this sound. While John Sickels said he improved his D to an adequate level, he wasn't supposed to provide the steady glovework he's shown thus far. As Grant Brisbee put it:

Gillaspie kind of wins out now that he has a shot to make the White Sox bench, and the American League is probably better for him, considering his fielding is pretty rough. And by "rough", I think the phrase that we settled on was "he throws like Johnny Damon wearing boxing gloves", and it's not like he showed off soft hands in his brief appearances.

Without a breakout bat and a defined set of defensive skills, he slid down the organizational rankings. Even though he was just 24, he wasn't even one of John Sickels' top 20 Giants prospects (contrast that with where Jared Mitchell stood on the Sox lists; that'll give you an idea of depth).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 06:45 PM)

I think Gillaspie was acceptable at 3B for certain. He looked good at times. I do NOT think he is the 3B answer though. I was disappointed in Keppinger. My feeling is Semien gets his chance at 3B in 2014 and maybe it's a Semien/Gillaspie platoon. Any bets?