NYC Sends Gun Confiscation Notice

DukeNukeEm

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did NYC say that this "confiscation" would not happen when they passed whatever ordinance that made it possible?

Also, who the hell owns shotguns that can hold 5 shells? There are about 25-30 firearms in my house and none of them would be affected by this law. Obviously, the handguns would be no bueno in NYC :P

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 29, 2013 -> 04:37 PM)
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/11/r...cation-notices/

NYC is about to do what we were promised every time weve compromised on guns would never happen.

Never register, never buy at a place that requires a background check. Here comes the round up.

I mean, I'm a pretty big pro-gun supporter, but isn't it illegal to own them in NYC to begin with? (Hell, I don't even think you're allowed to travel through the city with one on your person). So rounding up something that is illegal to own to begin with kind of makes sense, no?

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 29, 2013 -> 03:37 PM)
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/11/r...cation-notices/

NYC is about to do what we were promised every time weve compromised on guns would never happen.

Never register, never buy at a place that requires a background check. Here comes the round up.

Jurisprudence from Miller all the way to the most recent SCOTUS looks have all made clear that states and localities have the ability to pass laws regulating guns, including banning certain types of weapons. There are restrictions as to how far those can go, for example the recent City of Chicago cases which mean the end of their handgun bans. But there are still regulations that are allowed. This is not new.

If the weapons to be confiscated are illegal, and have been illegal, and the law has standing (which it does), I fail to see how this is some scary government conspiracy to pry your guns from your cold dead hands. They are choosing to do targeted enforcement of existing laws.

I do agree with you though about registration being a bad thing. I don't like it at all.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 12:53 PM)
Possessing an illegal gun = you get a sternly worded letter. Yup, that's tough on people breaking the law.

i'm sure I am missing something here, but if they are illegal in the first place why did the state allow them to be registered?

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 08:40 PM)
The NY SAFE Act had a pretty pathetic grandfather clause. A lot of people were made criminals.

And when a law has a weak grandfathering clause it correctly gets labeled as so weak that there's no reason to pass the law.

• 2 weeks later...

Id think you'd be pleased with the progress made in the past year in destroying our rights. I know, the 2A is still pretty in tact and figures to stay that way regardless of how much we need to THINK OF THE CHILDEN, but take solace in finally shooting the 4th (pesky f***er tgat one was eh?) in the back of the head.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 10:56 AM)
Id think you'd be pleased with the progress made in the past year in destroying our rights. I know, the 2A is still pretty in tact and figures to stay that way regardless of how much we need to THINK OF THE CHILDEN, but take solace in finally shooting the 4th (pesky f***er tgat one was eh?) in the back of the head.

And I'm sure youre 100% thrilled with the 25 post-Sandy Hook school shootings. I mean, how do the sandy hook parents not realize that their kids are martyrs for the most important cause in the universe, keeping people armed because that's important!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They should be partying right now, obviously.

And I'm sure youre 100% thrilled with the 25 post-Sandy Hook school shootings. I mean, how do the sandy hook parents not realize that their kids are martyrs for the most important cause in the universe, keeping people armed because that's important!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They should be partying right now, obviously.

I dont care about mass shootings at all. If that level of tragedy is too much for us to bear we've gone completely soft. Lightning kills more people. Maybe we should ban lightning.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 05:38 PM)
I dont care about mass shootings at all. If that level of tragedy is too much for us to bear we've gone completely soft. Lightning kills more people. Maybe we should ban lightning.

Sir, you are one f***ed up individual and I pray you never have children.

Edited by Quinarvy

That is a completely wrong statement that could be tweaked to at least be less immediately refutable. We have quite obviously improved our existence over the centuries and it was more than mere accident that it happened.