$20 million max posting fee looks to be coming for Japanese posti

southsider2k5

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
They would be better off investing that money into an everyday 3B and catcher and picking up a 4th/5th starter instead.

That way, they're not putting all their eggs in one basket. Other than one season with the Royals, Greinke's not nearly worth the money he's getting paid now.

I have zero interest in adding a "4-5th starter" right now. I like the 5+ we open the season with, it's structured exactly as it should be for this team. Bring the young guys in an d play them. We actually have them in the rotation...play them!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
I have zero interest in adding a "4-5th starter" right now. I like the 5+ we open the season with, it's structured exactly as it should be for this team. Bring the young guys in an d play them. We actually have them in the rotation...play them!

Agreed, a 4-5 starter is a waste, but isn't now the perfect time to spend money on a top-of-the-rotation type like Tanaka. Or even take a chance on a guy like Jimenez who has the stuff to be a top of the rotation starter and his price tag will be held down because it will cost a second round pick.

With the exception of Garcia the core the Sox are building around aren't real young, they have to hit the ground running as such money should be spent now to supplement them.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 03:38 PM)
Agreed, a 4-5 starter is a waste, but isn't now the perfect time to spend money on a top-of-the-rotation type like Tanaka. Or even take a chance on a guy like Jimenez who has the stuff to be a top of the rotation starter and his price tag will be held down because it will cost a second round pick.

With the exception of Garcia the core the Sox are building around aren't real young, they have to hit the ground running as such money should be spent now to supplement them.

But "a second round pick" is a pretty high price for a team like the White Sox, who aren't obviously aiming to win next year, to pay. I'm willing to give that up in addition to a big contract when I think it's the last piece on a roster, but that should be a huge deterrent for a team that isn't in win-now mode.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 03:56 PM)
But "a second round pick" is a pretty high price for a team like the White Sox, who aren't obviously aiming to win next year, to pay. I'm willing to give that up in addition to a big contract when I think it's the last piece on a roster, but that should be a huge deterrent for a team that isn't in win-now mode.

The Sox went for "Major League ready" prospects which gives them an older core so they should consider using the discount that the 2nd round pick will give them on Jimenez. Given their future salary obligations there's no reason why they should not make a serious run for Tanaka though.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 04:11 PM)
The Sox went for "Major League ready" prospects which gives them an older core so they should consider using the discount that the 2nd round pick will give them on Jimenez. Given their future salary obligations there's no reason why they should not make a serious run for Tanaka though.

Jimenez is a lot like Greinke. He was "decent" this year, but that's in comparison to pretty bad the last 2-3 seasons, and certainly underperforming his contract and the value of the players the Indians gave up at the time of that trade.

When he was pitching for the Rockies, he had nearly electric stuff and looked like a perennial Cy Young candidate.

He's no longer a #1 and probably closer to a 3 than a 2.

As far as the "young core," Eaton, Garcia, Viciedo, Abreu, Beckham, Gillaspie and Semien are all 27/28 or younger. Dunn and Konerko will be gone. Flowers/Phegley and whoever their eventual replacement is will likely be under 30 as well.

Once Ramirez is traded and Dunn/Konerko/Keppinger are gone, you'll have the definition of a young core.

DeAza's around 29 or 30 and he will be out the door soon enough.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)

When I say 5, I meant someone like Josh Johnson, if you could allocate that money across 3 players instead of 1.

That's the obvious direction to go.

Now it makes sense to give Erik Johnson and Rienzo a shot, and have Paulino waiting in the wings as Option B, but my thought was more along the lines of veteran depth.

You could probably argue just as easily to put that money into a veteran LH reliever, but if we were in quasi "win now" mode and were actually able to upgrade catcher and 3B, you would have to argue that the back end of the rotation and LH relief are probably the two biggest concerns...once again, if you're actually trying to compete in 2014.

If you're not, then it really doesn't matter. They might as well throw Snodgress or Beck out there....but then signing Paulino doesn't make a whole lot of sense, unless they're going to try to spin him off for prospects as well, hoping on a recovery.

It seems the only way he can make his incentives for his 2015 option to kick in would be for Johnson/Rienzo to fail or another injury in the starting rotation.

Edited by caulfield12

I'm with Marty on Tanaka.

Hahn has shown that he can structure contracts to not hurt the team going forward but still appeal to FAs (Konerko, JDA).

Some deferred money and an arbitration opt-out (like JDA) could be ways to entice Tanaka.

Having Sale - Tanaka - Quintana - Johnson - Danks as your rotation is filthy going forward.