southsider2k5

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la...y#axzz2mXurrJYM

By Bill Shaikin

December 2, 2013, 2:49 p.m.

Major League Baseball has proposed limiting the amount its teams could bid for Japanese players, a cap that would prevent the Dodgers or Angels from making a massive bid for pitcher Masahiro Tanaka.

The proposed cap was disclosed Monday by a person familiar with the matter but not authorized to discuss it publicly.

Under the proposal, if multiple teams bid the capped amount, the player would get to choose the team with which he would negotiate. In theory, that could represent a step toward helping teams with less revenue bid on fairer footing with large-market teams such as the Dodgers and Angels.

There would be no cap on the contract between the Japanese player and an MLB team.

MLB and Japanese baseball officials have exchanged various proposals on how to improve the so-called posting system, which is the manner by which Japanese teams can make their players available to MLB teams before those players hit free agency.

It is unclear when -- or if -- this proposal might be adopted.

According to media reports in Japan, the owner of Tanaka’s club -- the Rakuten Golden Eagles -- has said he would like to know soon whether Tanaka can be posted. Tanaka could negotiate a new contract with Rakuten in the meantime, perhaps with an escape clause for an MLB opportunity.

Tanaka, who would be considered the best pitcher in MLB free agency if he becomes available, went 24-0 with a 1.27 earned-run average for the Eagles.

Woah, I'm surprised they decided on $20M. I figured they would go with maybe a dynamic number that matches the highest AAV in the league. Of course just having to pay $20M to have the rights to pay a guy a contract already sucks, but at least this gives a lot of teams a chance. I'd love if they did it where the teams w/ the worst records got first shot. The MLB draft is too much of a crapshot to effectively favor the teams with the highest draft picks. I mean, the Red Sox routinely have the best drafts every year, and they rarely are picking in the top half.

Lets see if I am understanding this correctly. Under the current system teams bid to secure negotiating rights to a player. Under the proposed system several teams can bid 20 million to be in a "pool" to negotiate with said player. Under the proposed system wouldn't the Japanese league be better off?

For example, under the current system one team wins the right to negotiate for a player. Lets say they get that right for 50 million. Under the proposed system, lets say that there are 4 teams interested in the player that pay 20 million each for the right. Wouldn't the Japanese league receive 80 million? When I went to school 80 was greater than 50.

Is this the correct understanding, or am I not getting it?

Edited by balfanman

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 08:14 AM)
Lets see if I am understanding this correctly. Under the current system teams bid to secure negotiating rights to a player. Under the proposed system several teams can bid 20 million to be in a "pool" to negotiate with said player. Under the proposed system wouldn't the Japanese league be better off?

For example, under the current system one team wins the right to negotiate for a player. Lets say they get that right for 50 million. Under the proposed system, lets say that there are 4 teams interested in the player that pay 20 million each for the right. Wouldn't the Japanese league receive 80 million? When I went to school 80 was greater than 50.

Is this the correct understanding, or am I not getting it?

The teams not winning the posting bid would have their money returned to them.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)
The teams not winning the posting bid would have their money returned to them.

Actually the "pooling the posting fees" would make a helluva lot more sense and the Japanese might well go along with that since they wouldn't be limiting the amount of money their teams can get to let guys go.

I really like that idea. If you bid...you spend that money regardless of whether or not you win. Put some kind of penalty on it so that all 30 teams don't just bid the maximum on everyone.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales 27m

If Nippon Pro Baseball accepts $20mil max posting fee with team with worst record gets first shot at Tanaka - Hou, Miami, CWS, Cubs.lined up

If that is true, I'd put the Sox chances as quite high.

There are conflicting reports as to whether the lowest record gets the bid or the player gets to choose. If the player gets to choose, I don't think much is going to change because they are going to choose the team that has the reputation for giving bigger contracts. It will still be the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 10:28 AM)
There are conflicting reports as to whether the lowest record gets the bid or the player gets to choose. If the player gets to choose, I don't think much is going to change because they are going to choose the team that has the reputation for giving bigger contracts. It will still be the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox.

They haven't decided yet. It is still being debated.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 10:28 AM)

Yeah, if there's no order, this basically changes absolutely nothing about the process. They'll still end up with the bigger market teams.

I don't know if I agree that it should be like a waiver system, though.

I see an issue if I understand the proposed process.

Three teams all post $20 mil. The player begins negotiations with the team with the worst record. What happens if they cannot agree to a deal? Does the next team have a chance? If that is the case, then the player can basically say no and wait for the Yankees / Red Sox / Dodgers / etc. If the team with the worst record is the only team the player can negotiate with, that's a losing deal for the player.

If you let the player choose if there is a tie, and at $20 million, every stud player will have a tie, nothing is going to change except the fee will be lower. If you go by reverse order, if a guy is coming out, the race could be on to be the worst in baseball in August and September. That could get ugly. I think they should break out the ping pong balls and have a lottery with all the teams tied participating.

It looks like the draft order applies to the post bidding only and a free for after that in the event of teams matching one another's posting bids. If multiple teams post they same bid then the player can choose the team and offered contract of his choice.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 12:35 PM)
If you let the player choose if there is a tie, and at $20 million, every stud player will have a tie, nothing is going to change except the fee will be lower. If you go by reverse order, if a guy is coming out, the race could be on to be the worst in baseball in August and September. That could get ugly. I think they should break out the ping pong balls and have a lottery with all the teams tied participating.

+1

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 08:31 AM)
I see an issue if I understand the proposed process.

Three teams all post $20 mil. The player begins negotiations with the team with the worst record. What happens if they cannot agree to a deal? Does the next team have a chance? If that is the case, then the player can basically say no and wait for the Yankees / Red Sox / Dodgers / etc. If the team with the worst record is the only team the player can negotiate with, that's a losing deal for the player.

The player is already restricted to negotiating with one team.

I'd break ties with the worst record, restricting negotiations for that season with the winning team.

However, you put every team on hook for 25% of their bid. This keeps teams from bidding just for s***s and giggles, knowing they won't get it but another team will have to pay more. You don't make it the whole bid because you'll be killing every losing team in a system that isn't unassailable in terms of its fairness. This should help the Japanese teams sign on as well, since they'll be getting more money than the actual bidding cap.

Edited by Jake