Alejandro De Aza's value

witesoxfan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 09:13 AM)
Where does Viciedo play if you're starting De Aza in LF? I'm not a big Dayan fan, but he has the potential to be a part of the future of this franchise. De Aza on the other hand isn't a part of the future because of his age and contract. Can't take away AB's from Viciedo at this point. Especially since this could/should be his make or break year with the tam.

Of our four outfielders, De Aza is the only proven one. Garcia, Viciedo and Eaton all still have something to prove. It would be nice to have one non question mark in our outfield.

QUOTE (striker @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 08:40 AM)
Of our four outfielders, De Aza is the only proven one. Garcia, Viciedo and Eaton all still have something to prove. It would be nice to have one non question mark in our outfield.

The entire team is one giant question mark. At this point, the Sox need talented players on the roster that they can build around. De Aza is going to be 30 next year.

Don't get me wrong, I really like De Aza, especially in LF, but the team is not in a good position to keep him. It's far better to keep a high ceiling guy like Viciedo and give him one more year than it is to give De Aza another season.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 08:43 AM)
The entire team is one giant question mark. At this point, the Sox need talented players on the roster that they can build around. De Aza is going to be 30 next year.

Don't get me wrong, I really like De Aza, especially in LF, but the team is not in a good position to keep him. It's far better to keep a high ceiling guy like Viciedo and give him one more year than it is to give De Aza another season.

This pretty much sums up my thinking, too. I think we (as Sox fans) might value De Aza a little less because his mistakes on the basepads stick in our minds. But, he actually has value with his speed, ability to get on base, and a little power.

Overall, though, it makes more sense to hold onto Viciedo for a couple reasons. Age, for sure. And the Sox now have a legitimate lead-off guy and center fielder in Eaton.

In the long run, I don't think the Sox will get a lot back for either guy. But, they have an excess of outfielders, and someone is going to have to go.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 08:53 AM)
Giants get Morse, they gone.

Reds & who else is left? Do the A's need an OF? DeAza seems like a Beane type of target.

Worst case scenario, the Sox keep all 4 and increase their depth on the bench. I don't see that happening, but that's not a bad worst case scenario.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 09:01 AM)
Worst case scenario, the Sox keep all 4 and increase their depth on the bench. I don't see that happening, but that's not a bad worst case scenario.

Eaton can play all three spots, De Aza probably can too if the Sox need flexibility to give guys rest and play match-ups, its not the idea if they can't get appropriate value back in a deal.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)

Agreed. I think it might be the best case scenario depending on what we're currently being offered. Someone could get injured and the other player slots in.

Left fielders around the league are going to get injured, some for the entire season. It wouldn't be so bad to still be holding that trade chip when it happens.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 09:01 AM)

Doesn't De Aza only have two years of team control left? If so, you have move him now, because his value will only go down from here and he doesn't appear to be in Hahn's long-term plans. Also, since 2014 is apparently going to be a transitional year, we don't need to pay $4M for extra depth on the bench. I'd much rather give Viciedo 600+ PAs and see if we can turn him into a useful player/asset.

Yeah I think De Aza has pretty much reached his ceiling as a player and agree that it would be wise to move him now. Though I don't know who would be worth more in a deal, a 24-year old Viciedo in a down year with potential to possibly hit 25 homers or De Aza who probably is what he is right now, a player with a decent blend of power and speed who should play left and not center.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 05:23 PM)
Doesn't De Aza only have two years of team control left? If so, you have move him now, because his value will only go down from here and he doesn't appear to be in Hahn's long-term plans. Also, since 2014 is apparently going to be a transitional year, we don't need to pay $4M for extra depth on the bench. I'd much rather give Viciedo 600+ PAs and see if we can turn him into a useful player/asset.

Like I said, I don't foresee De Aza on the roster, and I'm sure they are aggressively trying to trade him. But if the value isn't there, you may as well keep him until it is there. Sometime in the next 8 months or so you'll get enough value that you'll be able to deal him.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 12:03 PM)
I think he's worth more to us than to another team.

Perhaps, but do you want to sign him to a long-term deal? That's the reality of the situation, either lock him up in the near future or deal him while he still has some value. Quite frankly, even if he bounces back some extent next year, I really don't think he'll age well. Not a player I want to commit at this point in time.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 12:03 PM)
I think he's worth more to us than to another team.

I think he's worth less to us than anyone else, because his age and contract status means that he will just block a player (Viciedo) who fits into our plans much better

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 02:22 PM)
Perhaps, but do you want to sign him to a long-term deal? That's the reality of the situation, either lock him up in the near future or deal him while he still has some value. Quite frankly, even if he bounces back some extent next year, I really don't think he'll age well. Not a player I want to commit at this point in time.

I wouldn't be opposed to extending him. I don't think he'll get big money and I like the idea of having an average player on a fair contract at this point.

I also wouldn't mind trading him if he actually brings some value, but I don't want to simply dump him as the odd man out after Eaton.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)
I think he's worth less to us than anyone else, because his age and contract status means that he will just block a player (Viciedo) who fits into our plans much better

Yeah, I agree with your premise, I just don't agree that Viciedo is a part of our future. I know that others aren't as low on him as I am, though.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)

That's why you try to Sergio Santos him. Extend him to a team friendly deal, up his value, trade him to a small market club.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 05:01 PM)
That's why you try to Sergio Santos him. Extend him to a team friendly deal, up his value, trade him to a small market club.

I'm not sure if that adds value though. Right now, most teams are probably down on De Aza and wouldn't want to commit to him long-term unless it was under the friendliest of team friendly contracts. IMO, he may have more value as a short-term option with the ability to rebound but with little risk if he doesn't.

Honestly, I think if you wait long enough into the offseason, some team will get desperate for an OF upgrade and offer something of decent value. His ability to play LF & CF and bat left-handed should create a decent amount of interest in him.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 07:21 PM)
He's not young, but I'd be happy to flip him for Brandon Phillips

You can't add Phillips' ugly contract to the payroll unless you're really going to upgrade the catcher's position...3B, back end of the rotation (as it stands now, we have Sale/Quintana/Danks/Johnson and Reynoso/Rienzo), etc.

I just don't see them "jumping the gun" on being back in the "all in" mode until they find better solutions at those two positions.

Is Phillips a better player than Beckham? Sure, probably. But is the amount of payroll you're adding, his age/fall-off concerns/being stuck with another bad contract making the difference worthwhile?

Not really justified. Because you need to be targeting those guys in their mid 20's to late 20's, not declining players in the their early 30's.

Edited by caulfield12