2014 Winter Olympics

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next time the USOC will be submitting a bid will be for 2024 or 2026.

Yeah, I'm aware that the 2020 Summer Olympics and the 2018 and 2022 World Cups are already awarded, but I mean that by the time they award the next round of games, the US odds just got a lot higher.

I'm waiting for the anti-American blog post (from an American) for our unwillingness to see how spoiled we are by complaining about all of the Sochi problems. I caught a small reference to it with the toilet paper in the basket picture (that's common in most of the non-Western part of the world apparently) on Gawker. Same with packed-like-sardines hotel rooms.

Last time Indy had the Pan-Am games, Michigan City got to host all of the yahcting events. I'd be happy about that.

Yes, while Indy would be the host city, you'd have stuff all over the state. Yachting on Lake Michigan. South Bend has a nice kayaking course. Soccer games in South Bend, W Lafayette, Muncie and Bloomington. Cycling in the southern part of the state. Not sure what, but maybe IMS could be used for something.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)
So a womans downhill jump was closed today after 3 of the first contestants said it was too intense, and one woman injured both knees when she landed.

http://deadspin.com/womens-downhill-skiing...-big-1517321814

fwiw

This is becoming distressingly common as Olympic athletes get better and faster—the track at the Whistler Sliding Centre in Vancouver was modified after multiple training crashes early in the 2010 games, including one that caused the death of Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili. At least there's no mortal danger here, and the skiiers sounded pleased with the course's challenge once that final jump was taken care of.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
I'm waiting for the anti-American blog post (from an American) for our unwillingness to see how spoiled we are by complaining about all of the Sochi problems. I caught a small reference to it with the toilet paper in the basket picture (that's common in most of the non-Western part of the world apparently) on Gawker. Same with packed-like-sardines hotel rooms.

This is an international event. If you can't accommodate people correctly (it doesn't matter what country they come from), then why the hell did you bid for it in the first place?

At least China tried to make a good impression on people when they hosted in 2008 (and that's what you kind of have to do if you're a developing country hosting the games). It doesn't seem like Russia's trying at all.

So how are we handling spoilers in this thread? Is it just a free for all as events are going on live or should we use spoiler tags until events are aired in prime time? Obviously spoilers will be all over the places but I think people should know what they are getting in for if they enter this thread so they can avoid spoilers if they want to.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

So how are we handling spoilers in this thread? Is it just a free for all as events are going on live or should we use spoiler tags until events are aired in prime time? Obviously spoilers will be all over the places but I think people should know what they are getting in for if they enter this thread so they can avoid spoilers if they want to.

I would prefer spoiler tags.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)
There are no Sochi bathroom issues. How do we know? Russia checked the bathroom spy cameras...

Russia Says Its Sochi Bathroom Spy Cameras Show No Plumbing Problems

Spycams? What spycams?

A spokesman for Mr. Kozak later on Thursday said there is absolutely no surveillance in hotel rooms or bathrooms occupied by guests. He said there was surveillance on premises during construction and cleaning of Sochi's venues and hotels and that is likely what Mr. Kozak was referencing. A senior official at a company that built a number of the hotels also said there is no such surveillance in rooms occupied by guests.

Mr. Kozak toured the giant, gleaming new media center Thursday morning, marveling at the huge workspace built specially for the thousands of journalists who have come from around the world to cover the Games.

I vote against spoiler tags for hockey.

Hockey games, at least the US ones, are all airing live. A lot of other things, including most of the curling, is not. I would say that spoiler tags are not necessary once an event is airing or has aired. If you are DVRing something and want to watch it later, then read at your own risk.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 12:42 PM)

How about a live action Olympics thread that clearly states spoilers could be had? Makes it easy to not click in.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)
How about a live action Olympics thread that clearly states spoilers could be had? Makes it easy to not click in.

I'm fine with whatever. I just don't want to risk ruining anything if there is someone who is trying to avoid seeing results (I usually just avoid twitter, ESPN and a few other websites which mostly takes care of the issue).