jersey numbers

brian310

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 10:57 PM)
I've always been more worried about trades. I had a Quentin jersey, and got to wear it 1 year. Then I had a Pierzynski and Buehrle jersey for 2 years and they both left. Currently rocking a Sale one (which I bought the day after he signed his extension). I think the next one will be a Frank Thomas. I'm getting sick of replacing jerseys every 2-3 years, especially because I buy the authentic ones that cost a lot.

Nothing wrong with an old jersey. Heck I still have my Robin Ventura jersey with the "new" Comiskey Park patch on it.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 10:04 PM)
You're confusing Charley Lau with Walk Hriniak, although without Charley Lau there might not be a Walt Hriniak because he was a big follower in the teachings of Lau. Lau did most of his great work with George Brett and the Royals in the 70's, and briefly did coach the White Sox until the 80's when he passed away while still coaching. Walt Hriniak was the guy who worked with the Red Sox in the late 70's and 80's and eventually became the White Sox hitting coach (and last guy to wear no. 6 in honor of Lau) right before Frank Thomas came up. Frank Thomas' approach in his early and best years is a great example of how Lau and Hriniak taught hitting (not that Lau or Hriniak were the first to have these ideas of hitting, but they were the first to make it into science).

I'm in favor of keeping 6 retired as long as Reinsdorf is around. Lau and his school of teaching still influences baseball today and he died while coaching for the Sox young and tragically, and as you mentioned his impact can be seen with the White Sox player who just recently got elected to the Hall of Fame.

I guess I should have been more clear. It was the teaching of Walt and the philosophy of Lau. However, Lau was around alot as an advisor when Walt was around.