jersey numbers

brian310

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 06:54 PM)
Garcia is on twitter, and pretty active. Send him a tweet and see if he responds.

Someone asked him on Twitter already if he was going back to 34 or keeping 26 and he said "maybe 26 again.." so I would hold off on a avi jersey for now lol

QUOTE (black jack @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 07:19 AM)
In fact, the thought of any number (other than 42) being "retired" is stupid.

Honor the player's name don't take away the numbers.

Disagree 100%. There are 100 numbers to choose from. Having a small percentage out of service to honor the legends of your team's history is not a big deal. While some teams get pretty ridiculous with it (Padres and Randy Jones, Devil Rays and Wade Boggs, Angels and Gene Autry, etc.), I would never want to see another Sox player wear 35 again.

QUOTE (black jack @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 07:16 AM)
It really irks me that 3 is retired.

Agreed. It irks me more that a dead hitting coach from 30 years ago has a retired number too. I think they have some type plaque up somewhere for Charley Lau. That's good enough. Without officially retiring his number, there's no real point to it. Give 6 to somebody that wants it.

Current and eventual...14 numbers. Seems excessive.

2- Nellie Fox

3- Harold Baines

4- Luke Appling

6- Charley Lau

9- Minnie Minoso

11- Luis Aparicio

13- Ozzie Guillen

14- Paul Konerko

16- Ted Lyons

19- Billy Pierce

35- Frank Thomas

42- Robinson

56- Mark Buehrle

72- Carlton Fisk

What's more obnoxious is on a team with few low numbers available, you have a bench coach wearing 8. Coaches shouldn't wear numbers like that unless they have a specific connection with it. Baines in 3, that's okay. But Parent and Boston need to give up their numbers.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 09:30 AM)

2- Nellie Fox

3- Harold Baines

4- Luke Appling

6- Charley Lau

9- Minnie Minoso

11- Luis Aparicio

13- Ozzie Guillen

14- Paul Konerko

16- Ted Lyons

19- Billy Pierce

35- Frank Thomas

42- Robinson

56- Mark Buehrle

72- Carlton Fisk

There are at least 86 other numbers they can choose from, 87 if you include 00. Frankly, I don't ever want to see anyone else wearing 35 again in a White Sox uniform.

Maybe, in 500 years, when there are 25 numbers exactly to choose from, we can have this conversation again.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 09:34 AM)
There are at least 86 other numbers they can choose from, 87 if you include 00. Frankly, I don't ever want to see anyone else wearing 35 again in a White Sox uniform.

Maybe, in 500 years, when there are 25 numbers exactly to choose from, we can have this conversation again.

I'm ok with Hall of Famers getting their number retired, or guys that played with the Sox for 15 years.

Minoso is ok. Konerko will be fine. Buehrle will eventually--he's borderline.

3, 6, 13, and 19--I'd unretire.

And I agree with JPN about the coaches poaching low numbers. Those should be for current players.

Baseball is a low number sport.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 09:33 AM)
What's more obnoxious is on a team with few low numbers available, you have a bench coach wearing 8. Coaches shouldn't wear numbers like that unless they have a specific connection with it. Baines in 3, that's okay. But Parent and Boston need to give up their numbers.

I kind of agree on the coaches thing, but I would be willing to bet that if Davidson, Eaton or Abreu wanted one of their numbers they would be giving them up.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 09:30 AM)

2- Nellie Fox

3- Harold Baines

4- Luke Appling

6- Charley Lau

9- Minnie Minoso

11- Luis Aparicio

13- Ozzie Guillen

14- Paul Konerko

16- Ted Lyons

19- Billy Pierce

35- Frank Thomas

42- Robinson

56- Mark Buehrle

72- Carlton Fisk

I would delete Baines & Guillen from that list. And I've never heard of Charley Lau.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 09:40 AM)
I'm ok with Hall of Famers getting their number retired, or guys that played with the Sox for 15 years.

Minoso is ok. Konerko will be fine. Buehrle will eventually--he's borderline.

3, 6, 13, and 19--I'd unretire.

And I agree with JPN about the coaches poaching low numbers. Those should be for current players.

Baseball is a low number sport.

I kind of like the way the Red Sox do it. I believe their rules are that you have to be a HOFer AND play 10 years with the team. They did make an exception for Pesky though I believe. I would kind of like to see our Sox use a similar method going forward, but I would have no problem with them making exceptions for guys who didn't quite meet the requirements, but were close and had connections to a "special" Sox team. I.E. Buehrle and Konerko for '05.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 09:44 AM)
I would delete Baines & Guillen from that list. And I've never heard of Charley Lau.

Charley Lau was the hitting coach in 82 and 83. He died during Spring Training of 84. His number 6 is not retired, but has not been issued since except to his disciple Walt Hrniak. It is basically "unofficially" retired.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 09:44 AM)

My point exactly.

He and Loren Babe were coaches in 1983. Both died of cancer after the 83 season. For whatever reason, Reinsdorf decided that #6 wouldn't be issued.

Walt Hriniak was a disciple of Lau's hitting methods, so he wore 6 when he was the hitting coach.

30 years is enough.