FutureSox Top 25 Prospects Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 11:30 PM)
What ever happened to Luis Castillo and the other players that we're signed by Marco Paddy when he first joined the team?

They are 17 years old. Still long time away before we really start hearing about them. Hopefully in the next year or 2 they will make the transition over to America and start playing in Rookie Ball.

When do Castillo and the other 16 year olds that we signed last year have to be moved to the 40 man roster to avoid losing them? Does the clock start running right away, or does it start when they start playing? Not sure if the 4 year rule applies to 16 year olds from outside the US...

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 07:58 AM)
When do Castillo and the other 16 year olds that we signed last year have to be moved to the 40 man roster to avoid losing them? Does the clock start running right away, or does it start when they start playing? Not sure if the 4 year rule applies to 16 year olds from outside the US...

They get 5 years in affiliated ball. I'm not clear if that includes DSL time, but I think it does.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
Nathaniel Stoltz very big on Rangel Ravelo. Even though he is playing 1B, Stoltz says he is good enough to stick at 3B. On Davidson, "Not sure he's any better than Ravelo."

I like what Stoltz adds to the internet, but he does get a little obsessive on certain guys he sees. Comparing Ravelo and Davidson is pretty silly. They are vastly different hitters in almost every way, for good and bad. Ravelo is also not a 3B. And of course they are at very different ages and levels of development.

I like Ravelo, I have him as a 20-25 guy in this system, and I think he's only about a dozen fly balls/doubles going an extra 30 feet in a season away from being a serious 1B prospect. But he is nowhere near the prospect Davidson is at this point.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 03:24 PM)
I like what Stoltz adds to the internet, but he does get a little obsessive on certain guys he sees. Comparing Ravelo and Davidson is pretty silly. They are vastly different hitters in almost every way, for good and bad. Ravelo is also not a 3B. And of course they are at very different ages and levels of development.

I like Ravelo, I have him as a 20-25 guy in this system, and I think he's only about a dozen fly balls/doubles going an extra 30 feet in a season away from being a serious 1B prospect. But he is nowhere near the prospect Davidson is at this point.

Agree with all of this. Ravelo is my sleeper position playing prospect for 2014, but he's got to show a lot more power to make our top 10, let alone a top 100 list. Also, if he could stick at 3B, the Sox would have played him there last year.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 08:35 PM)
I just want to know why Stoltz thinks Ravelo can play 3B. Aside from Davidson who will graduate as a prospect and perhaps Michalczewski who is a ways off, we are bereft of 3B talent in the system. If Ravelo can play there, he needs to play there. The guy put together an .848 OPS in W-S while hitting 4 HRs. That is very impressive. I don't know if he starts in W-S or AA but this is only going to be his age 22 season.

If he could play there, that is where he'd be. The Sox obviously think he can't stick there, and if he was even close to being able to, they would not have moved him. He's a 1B.

Stoltz sees athleticism, but that is not the same as being a good 3B.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
They get 5 years in affiliated ball. I'm not clear if that includes DSL time, but I think it does.

Good. That means the five year clock on Castilla et al has not started yet.

Remember when I told you guys Ben Badler of Baseball America was very high on Semien? WOW

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 8m

Buying the bat, high OBP potential at a premium position RT @Jaypers413 Curious what led you to rank Semien #41 on your list? #spoiler

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Feb 1, 2014 -> 04:54 PM)
Remember when I told you guys Ben Badler of Baseball America was very high on Semien? WOW

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 8m

Buying the bat, high OBP potential at a premium position RT @Jaypers413 Curious what led you to rank Semien #41 on your list? #spoiler

Hah, I just came here to post that too. #41? Holy s***. We haven't had a position player in the top 50 since 2009 when Beckham was ranked #20.

Such high praise for Semien, I love it. Honestly I think his floor is a utility player along the lines of Mark DeRosa with a bit better defense with his ceiling being in a similar caliber as Ray Durham, dream scenario he becomes our version of Pedroia. Honestly I think Davidson, Semien, Sanchez and Garcia all start down at AAA with maybe Garcia breaking with the team if Kepp gets moved to a team like the dodgers.