2014 Catching Scenarios

Melissa1334

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
I just hope we can trade for a catcher, I just dont want flowers starting. Hahn has insinuated that theyd like to get one, obviously lol

Phegley is likely going to be the starter, so your wish has probably been granted.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
I just hope we can trade for a catcher, I just dont want flowers starting. Hahn has insinuated that theyd like to get one, obviously lol

I think Hahn has been pretty clear he feels the same way. We will see a competition for the spot and possibly even keep our eye on who is available.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 10:56 AM)
I think Hahn has been pretty clear he feels the same way. We will see a competition for the spot and possibly even keep our eye on who is available.

I guess its pretty obviously the price for castro is high lol

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
I think giving up this early on Phegley is a terrible idea.

He looked like a guy who needed to be in AAA a little longer. First success ever last year in AAA, then comes up and was absolutely the worst hitter in MLB when he came up. Probably could have used some more seasoning. We shall see.

I've had the feeling that if one of Phegley/Flowers needs to be a backup, they like Flowers. If one has to be a starter, they like Phegs

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
I think giving up this early on Phegley is a terrible idea.

I like him more as a backup , I dont know, I just dont think him or flowers are everyday solid big leaguers >I do have way more faith in Phegley

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
I guess its pretty obviously the price for castro is high lol

People want Castro. I continue to point this out

Castro 2011, first taste of big league action - .205/.286/.287/.573 , 206 PAs, 41 K's, 22 BB

Phegley 2013, first taste of big league action - .206/.223/.299/.522, 213 PAs, 41 K's, 5 BB

Castro walked more. That's it.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)
The troubling thing with Phegley is that the low lows extend to his minor league history as well. Sure there are health related issues in his past, and they're big... but even with that taken into consideration... sample sizes are growing. About to turn 26

The health concerns are the exact reason why he struggled. Those health concerns were taken care of, and he absolutely destroyed AAA last year. He absolutely deserves another chance to absolve doubt.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)

Castro 2011, first taste of big league action - .205/.286/.287/.573 , 206 PAs, 41 K's, 22 BB

Phegley 2013, first taste of big league action - .206/.223/.299/.522, 213 PAs, 41 K's, 5 BB

Castro 2011 age = 21

Phegley 2013 age = 25

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)

Right, Phegley has a shot. But Castro then actually broke out. It's the bird in the hand.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
After watching Phegley last year, I think the odds of him ever becoming a solid major league player aren't good.

And I'm sure people said that about Castro in 2011. His rep was that he was a defense first, slap hitting catcher. He put those ideas to rest last year, didn't he?

I doubt Phegley puts up anything near what Castro did, but I don't think the odds of him becoming a John Buck type of catcher are bad.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
And I'm sure people said that about Castro in 2011. His rep was that he was a defense first, slap hitting catcher. He put those ideas to rest last year, didn't he?

I doubt Phegley puts up anything near what Castro did, but I don't think the odds of him becoming a John Buck type of catcher are bad.

It's dangerous to use outliers to predict the future, though. Castro's success illustrates that anyone CAN break out, but it doesn't make a convincing argument that Phegley is likely to break out.

I agree with you that giving Phegley a shot is among our better options. And I agree that Castro's price may be (probably is) way too much to pay in our situation. But I don't agree that acquiring Castro at a reasonable cost would be a bad acquisition for us just because he's a bit older. Castro is unquestionably and significantly better than Phegley. I think the team is designed to try to be competitive in a three year window, and Castro is a good bet (not infallible, of course) to be a substantial contributor in that range.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
It's dangerous to use outliers to predict the future, though. Castro's success illustrates that anyone CAN break out, but it doesn't make a convincing argument that Phegley is likely to break out.

I agree with you that giving Phegley a shot is among our better options. And I agree that Castro's price may be (probably is) way too much to pay in our situation. But I don't agree that acquiring Castro at a reasonable cost would be a bad acquisition for us just because he's a bit older. Castro is unquestionably and significantly better than Phegley. I think the team is designed to try to be competitive in a three year window, and Castro is a good bet (not infallible, of course) to be a substantial contributor in that range.

Honestly, I've changed my tune overall on Castro, but I still don't know that I deal Quintana for him and I don't know that Houston adds anything to Castro if they are dealing him for Quintana.

A move I might make is something like Quintana and Phegley for Castro and Peacock.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
Honestly, I've changed my tune overall on Castro, but I still don't know that I deal Quintana for him and I don't know that Houston adds anything to Castro if they are dealing him for Quintana.

A move I might make is something like Quintana and Phegley for Castro and Peacock.

I'd make that deal. But yeah I don't think I'd do Quintana + prospects for Castro at this point. I WOULD do EJ + more prospects though. Like maybe EJ + Hawkins + Phegley. I like Hawkins but we can find an OFer later.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
After watching Phegley last year, I think the odds of him ever becoming a solid major league player aren't good.

Completely agree. No one talks about his defensive struggles last year - he seemed to have trouble finding the ball if it hit the dirt, and at times just catching pitches. For me he has to hit a ton if his defense doesn't come up to MLB standards

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
Completely agree. No one talks about his defensive struggles last year - he seemed to have trouble finding the ball if it hit the dirt, and at times just catching pitches. For me he has to hit a ton if his defense doesn't come up to MLB standards

He's not too good at the catching part of Catching. I just don't want to waste the whole season finding out who's going to be the best backup. Still some time to make moves, though, and if we go with Phegley on opening Day, we don't necessarily have to give him the whole year, if he blows.