Under over 75.5 wins

southsider2k5

Under over 75.5 wins  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Sox be under or over 75.5 wins in 2014

• 76+ wins
    • 75 or less wins

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 12:42 PM)
Serious Q in reply...why should we expect the defense and baserunning to be "cleaned up"? In many cases we have either the same guys in those positions who were bad last year, or potential downgrades (Rios down to Garcia, Davidson supposed to be pretty rough at 3b, Eaton was below average in CF last year although maybe injury and short time to blame). They're younger and that could very well raise the risk of silly mistakes even higher.

Because the same guys were here the year before and we didn't have those mistakes. There were a lot of uncharacteristic things that happened last year and if the Sox can regress to their norms, that will get cleaned up. Its likely Davidson is butchering the ball in Charlotte to start the season given the roster crunch.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 02:01 PM)
Because the same guys were here the year before and we didn't have those mistakes. There were a lot of uncharacteristic things that happened last year and if the Sox can regress to their norms, that will get cleaned up. Its likely Davidson is butchering the ball in Charlotte to start the season given the roster crunch.

I think there's a lot of truth to this. We saw this core display elite defense in 2012 and league worst in 2013 -- the "true talent" is somewhere in the middle, and while anything can happen, that is probably the most likely performance we'll see.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
Serious Q in reply...why should we expect the defense and baserunning to be "cleaned up"? In many cases we have either the same guys in those positions who were bad last year, or potential downgrades (Rios down to Garcia, Davidson supposed to be pretty rough at 3b, Eaton was below average in CF last year although maybe injury and short time to blame). They're younger and that could very well raise the risk of silly mistakes even higher.

It's a valid point, but given the radical swing between '12 and '13 in all of those areas, even some sort of median suckage would have to produce better results. And let's not forget Rios and the countless blunders he made on the bases. I'm hoping for more inspired play from new guys looking to make their mark.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)

But you didn't blame players for the mistakes last year. You blamed spring training. I earlier linked an article on how the Sox were working on focus and fundamentals this spring, so using your own formula, everything should be fine in that department.

There will he mistakes all year, but especially the first week of spring training games. These are all still basically practices. No one plays 9 innings or usually gets more than 3 AB.

To expect someone to be perfect from the get go in practice, isn't realistic. Anyone taking a few months off from whatever they do, usually are a little rusty right when they get back.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 07:42 PM)

I took the under just because I feel like there are a lot of alarming trends that need to be corrected. Maybe the presence of Abreu will add the new life the Sox need to forget about all the blunders the team had last year to cost them games. If Robin can turn this baby around and start winning series after series, I'll be amazed and happy.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 1, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)
I think they'll be in the Wild Card race until the last 3 or so weeks of the season. Over.

That would be amazing. That would mean some of the young guys are excelling and Dunn and Viciedo and Flowers and Lexi are doing average to very well. Bring it on.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)
And he said we could beat .500 if things break right.

That's the most optimistic prognostication I've ever read from Law.

Because Keith Law does not hate the White Sox, much to the chagrin of Sox fans everywhere.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)
Because Keith Law does not hate the White Sox, much to the chagrin of Sox fans everywhere.

He did say the Sox made a mistake signing Abreu when they signed him. He said they wouldn't be able to compete again until he was into his decline.

I do think he hates KW's style more than the White Sox though. It took him a couple years before he admitted he may have been wrong about Sale.

So just keep in mind if Keith Law were a White Sox executive with heavy clout, Sale and Abreu wouldn't be on the team. Everyone in professional baseball would be into their decline before the White Sox were able to compete.

Edited by Dick Allen