White Sox make second round of cuts

coco1997

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Wednesday, March 12, 2014

GLENDALE, Ariz. – Prior to today’s game at San Francisco, the Chicago White Sox made the following eight roster moves:

· Optioned LHP Charlie Leesman to Class AAA Charlotte;

· Optioned OF Jared Mitchell and OF Trayce Thompson to Class AA Birmingham;

· Reassigned C Miguel Gonzalez, RHP Deunte Heath, RHP Omar Poveda, LHP Scott Snodgress and OF Keenyn Walker to minor-league camp.

With the moves, the White Sox have 47 players remaining in major-league camp: 23 pitchers, four catchers, 14 infielders and six outfielders.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 11:40 AM)
Will Hawkins and/or Mitchell ever reach the show with us?

For me personally, I think Mitchell gets a cup of coffee and that's it. Hawkins is still so young and underdeveloped as a player, it is really hard to say. His ceiling is still quite high.

Here a FutureSox piece looking at projections for those two, along with Thompson and Walker. Might help give you some background.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 10:12 PM)
I'm feeling really good about Micah Johnson. Just something about him.

Me too. Wish we could just trade Beckham and Ramirez and start the future now!!

1B- Abreu

2B- Johnson

3B- Davidson

SS- Semien

LF- Viciedo

CF- Eaton

RF- Garcia

That would be such a fun group to watch and they would have a lot of energy

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 10:19 PM)
Me too. Wish we could just trade Beckham and Ramirez and start the future now!!

1B- Abreu

2B- Johnson

3B- Davidson

SS- Semien

LF- Viciedo

CF- Eaton

RF- Garcia

That would be such a fun group to watch and they would have a lot of energy

That's all I want to watch too. I feel like they all have a good shot at being above average players. I appreciate Alexei but I wouldn't mind getting a more well-rounded hitter like Semien in there; give Bacon the whole year but trade Alexei to the first desperate caller. Roll the dice, we supposedly have MI depth.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 10:53 PM)
That's all I want to watch too. I feel like they all have a good shot at being above average players. I appreciate Alexei but I wouldn't mind getting a more well-rounded hitter like Semien in there; give Bacon the whole year but trade Alexei to the first desperate caller. Roll the dice, we supposedly have MI depth.

I know Alexei, Beckham, and Gillaspie don't give us a much better chance to win then Semien, Johnson, and Davidson so why not?

I know it won't happen but I wish

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 10:06 PM)
Alexei Ramirez is one of the most underappreciated White Sox players in a long time. He's a been an asset for us for six years already and a feather in the cap of Rick Hahn. He hasn't been able to get all facets of his game working at once, but he has always made himself a productive player. Doesn't hurt that he's been clutch and a firey player throughout. I'll be rooting for him after his time here is done.

Alexei-Ramirez-Grandslam.jpg

I like stringbeans too.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 12:06 AM)
Alexei Ramirez is one of the most underappreciated White Sox players in a long time. He's a been an asset for us for six years already and a feather in the cap of Rick Hahn. He hasn't been able to get all facets of his game working at once, but he has always made himself a productive player. Doesn't hurt that he's been clutch and a firey player throughout. I'll be rooting for him after his time here is done.

Alexei-Ramirez-Grandslam.jpg

Still one of my favorite White Sox pictures, ever.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 09:12 PM)
I'm feeling really good about Micah Johnson. Just something about him.

I'm on this train also. But I'll be a lot more confident in this projection, depending on how he starts the MiLB season, likely in B'Ham.

With the decline of slugging/steroid usage (won't say the end of steroid-era, because, imo, it never will truly die), according to the numbers, a current stolen base success rate of ~66-67% or higher is a net benefit to the team. This is down from a peak of ~78-80% at the height of the Steroid Era, and, imo, will lead to a sea change of far greater valuation of the speed tool, dovetailing as well with the idea that Speed~=Defense/low BABIP against. A volume base stealer like Micah, if he can succeed at 80%, will accrue numerous extra bases beyond that 66% threshold.

I would like to see a speed-modified slugging % become common sabr-lingo, for a number of reasons, including the general knowledge of Slugging % that exists among a broader base of fans. Apologies if such stats are available, but regardless, it seems that other, and more confusing, baserunning stats are currently in vogue. I'll be taking this to the Sabr thread soon, as I have a bit more to say about it.

The good news is the system has several potential high-volume base stealers who could be legit prospects, perhaps more than most other teams, and I'm wondering/hoping that we're getting ahead of trend that is not quite fully upon us yet.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
I'm on this train also. But I'll be a lot more confident in this projection, depending on how he starts the MiLB season, likely in B'Ham.

With the decline of slugging/steroid usage (won't say the end of steroid-era, because, imo, it never will truly die), according to the numbers, a current stolen base success rate of ~66-67% or higher is a net benefit to the team. This is down from a peak of ~78-80% at the height of the Steroid Era, and, imo, will lead to a sea change of far greater valuation of the speed tool, dovetailing as well with the idea that Speed~=Defense/low BABIP against. A volume base stealer like Micah, if he can succeed at 80%, will accrue numerous extra bases beyond that 66% threshold.

I would like to see a speed-modified slugging % become common sabr-lingo, for a number of reasons, including the general knowledge of Slugging % that exists among a broader base of fans. Apologies if such stats are available, but regardless, it seems that other, and more confusing, baserunning stats are currently in vogue. I'll be taking this to the Sabr thread soon, as I have a bit more to say about it.

The good news is the system has several potential high-volume base stealers who could be legit prospects, perhaps more than most other teams, and I'm wondering/hoping that we're getting ahead of trend that is not quite fully upon us yet.

I'm with you man. I see why many experts look down at our system, but it's possible that after this season we have 10-20 legit prospects/young MLB guys producing. Something tells me we hit on way more of these draft picks and even trades than we probably should have.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 06:05 AM)
I thought Trayce would go to Charlotte instead of B'ham.

Hopefully, he'll spend the 2nd half of the season there. Don't mind that they're waiting for him to show more offensively, before "challenging" him. Could Hahn be instituting a less aggressive philosophy in this regard?

OT, but who do you think will be the Rox CF on opening day? I'm thinking Stubbs, and thinking I'm not going to like his offense a whole lot. Having Cargo in CF would have allowed better flexibility, but I guess I kinda understand the reasoning.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 07:32 AM)
Hopefully, he'll spend the 2nd half of the season there. Don't mind that they're waiting for him to show more offensively, before "challenging" him. Could Hahn be instituting a less aggressive philosophy in this regard?

OT, but who do you think will be the Rox CF on opening day? I'm thinking Stubbs, and thinking I'm not going to like his offense a whole lot. Having Cargo in CF would have allowed better flexibility, but I guess I kinda understand the reasoning.

My choice is Cargo all the way, partly because I like both Blackmon or Dickerson in LF