Sox make more roster moves

Y2Jimmy0

I am still really concerned about the White Sox offense this year. Considering the changes were Garcia for Rios, Eaton for De Aza and Abreu for Konerko, De Aza and Rios were 2 of the more productive hitters last season. The Sox are going to need a lot of guys to improve and Abreu is going to have a lot of pressure to put up big numbers. The schedule is tough early, when Abreu may need some adjustment time, especially if it's cold.

I read the Sox scored 2 or less runs in over 50 home games last year.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
So, to summarize:

If Davidson is good, we are happy.

If Davidson is not good, we are not happy, because someone(we don't know who) would have given up something better for Reed.

Yes, because I was responding to the post that said even if he was below average, it was a good trade.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
I am still really concerned about the White Sox offense this year. Considering the changes were Garcia for Rios, Eaton for De Aza and Abreu for Konerko, De Aza and Rios were 2 of the more productive hitters last season. The Sox are going to need a lot of guys to improve and Abreu is going to have a lot of pressure to put up big numbers. The schedule is tough early, when Abreu may need some adjustment time, especially if it's cold.

This uncertainty is something you expect in a rebuild year. I'm excited to see a new team hopefully build towards something meaningful

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
Yes, because I was responding to the post that said even if he was below average, it was a good trade.

Who would have given something better? Who was the prospect?

I don't think anyone has expectations for a big year this year. There are a lot of young players and new players in this line up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)
Your core isn't your prospects. Why is that so difficult?

Your prospects are definitely part of your core. If you don't think Baez and Bryant aren't part of the Cubs core, but think Abreu is part of the White Sox core, like you did post, you aren't being consistent.

I agree they will have trouble scoring runs again. However, this is the "re-tooling" year. You have Eaton, Abreu, Garcia and Davidson (he will be up at some point) all getting thier first full time extended play in the MLB. Hopefully this is the learning year and they will hit it big next year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)

Because the value will be fair. As I stated, it would be a disappointment, but if puts up a .750 OPS with below average defense, that would essentially qualify him as a below average player. Getting 6 years of that versus 4 years of a 3.25 ERA from a closer to me seems worth it, even if Davidson was a bit of a disappointment. I don't believe that's far fetched or hard to understand.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
I don't think anyone has expectations for a big year this year. There are a lot of young players and new players in this line up.

I think most of us, me included, are expecting significantly more runs. The problem is, when you really look at it, as bad as it was last year, it really isn't a given. Hopefully, a couple guys get hot and it spreads, like the 1977 Hitmen.

There's some obsession with outcome here. Ok fine, Reed can become Mariano Rivera #2 but it doesnt change that we're doing the right things lately.

I am fine with good thought process. Give me good thought process and if there are blips along the way, i'll gladly take it.

Good thought process is - build up relievers to have more perceived value than they're worth, send them to a better team when you are in a valley-year, and get a better high-ceiling prospect that is cheap for years on end. Davidson can have impact while you are getting better as a team, whereas the thing Reed does well is only of some impact when you Already Are better as a team.

What kind of haul was the Mexicutioner worth before his injuries? They never pulled that trigger. Kept being Bad With Good Closer. So outcomes can work either way. We can guess endlessly. It's a nowhere debate.

I do like our line of thinking though. That has obviously changed, and for the better.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:09 AM)
I'm not the one saying they could have gotten something better

What I am saying is ultimately, if Davidson busts or just is below average, a different deal may have been better, which makes the statement that even if he is below average, the deal was good not really true even if Reed is just another guy.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
Your prospects are definitely part of your core. If you don't think Baez and Bryant aren't part of the Cubs core, but think Abreu is part of the White Sox core, like you did post, you aren't being consistent.

And I said, take Abreu out, which you ignored to continue the argument.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
You don't think anyone wanted Addison Reed ?

Who did, and what were they willing to give up? In order to judge if someone would have given up something better, you have to know that. Otherwise it is just an exercise at making stuff for arguments sake.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:10 AM)
I think most of us, me included, are expecting significantly more runs. The problem is, when you really look at it, as bad as it was last year, it really isn't a given. Hopefully, a couple guys get hot and it spreads, like the 1977 Hitmen.

I'm not expecting much of anything this year. Hoping? Sure. Expecting it just sets unrealistic expectations.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)
Who did, and what were they willing to give up? In order to judge if someone would have given up something better, you have to know that. Otherwise it is just an exercise at making stuff for arguments sake.

Yet your argument that no one did and nothing else could have been offered is based on what? The early word was everone on the White Sox roster except Sale, Quintana and Abreu were available, and Reed was right up there with them, as practically unavailable, so apparently there were inquiries.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:14 AM)
What I am saying is ultimately, if Davidson busts or just is below average, a different deal may have been better, which makes the statement that even if he is below average, the deal was good not really true even if Reed is just another guy.

And what I am saying is we are two months into the deal, and making statements like this and what oldsox said is shortsighted.

Any hindsight trade value you are making up doesn't make a difference right now. Reed could blow out his elbow tomorrow, Davidson could never sniff the majors again, and both could become team core cornerstones. Let it play out and stop complaining already

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)
Yet your argument that no one did and nothing else could have been offered is based on what? The early word was everone on the White Sox roster except Sale, Quintana and Abreu were available, and Reed was right up there with them, as practically unavailable, so apparently there were inquiries.

The fact that the Sox made this deal. What evidence do you have?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:14 AM)
And I said, take Abreu out, which you ignored to continue the argument.

Yes, but you said that after the fact. You included him him your original White Sox core.

I hope the Cubs suck forever. The fact is, if their pieces were White Sox pieces, you would be talking them up more than you are talking up Matt Davidson right now. Some of these guys on both teams are going to not amount to much. Right now, the Cubs have more room for error just because they have more highly thought of prospects in quantity if not quality.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
Yes, but you said that after the fact. You included him him your original White Sox core.

I hope the Cubs suck forever. The fact is, if their pieces were White Sox pieces, you would be talking them up more than you are talking up Matt Davidson right now. Some of these guys on both teams are going to not amount to much. Right now, the Cubs have more room for error just because they have more highly thought of prospects.

If the Cubs prospects were the Sox prospects, then the Sox would have had 3 straight 90 loss teams and another one possible, and I think the discussion here would be more medieval and angry

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:10 AM)

I wouldn't expect too much from a team with this many rookie/new/inexperienced hitters. They will probably score more, only because of how awful it was last year. But this is a re-tooling year and expectations should be treated as such.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)

I hope the Cubs suck forever. The fact is, if their pieces were White Sox pieces, you would be talking them up more than you are talking up Matt Davidson right now. Some of these guys on both teams are going to not amount to much. Right now, the Cubs have more room for error just because they have more highly thought of prospects in quantity if not quality.

I would argue the opposite. The Cubs have bigger bust potential, because none of their top guys are actually major leaguers yet. The ones that are have regressed. The Sox have a real, true to life ace the front of their rotation, under control until the next decade, and cheap. The Cubs #1 pitcher refuses to sign, and is on the trade block. The Sox have a #2 pitcher that is still under team control for the next four years. Even if you want to look at it from a prospect standpoint, the Cubs have minimal pitching prospects, even compared to the Sox. The guys the Sox are looking to fill jobs are here now. For them it is months to years away.

But for some, the specter of the Cubs looms larger than anything.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:23 AM)
If the Cubs prospects were the Sox prospects, then the Sox would have had 3 straight 90 loss teams and another one possible, and I think the discussion here would be more medieval and angry

Why would people be angry? Many here have thought losing for draft picks is the proper strategy? If Baez and Bryant were White Sox prospects, and if the Sox have won the bidding war with the Cubs for Soler, I think most here would more pleased with the prospect of future White Sox seasons than they are right now.