Closer? 'We don't really have one'

winninguglyin83

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 03:12 PM)
Any new info?

Nate Jones (back) might not return in 2014.

Jones has been out since the first week of the season with a lower back injury. "There's been enough setbacks that I wouldn't expect him to be back this year," White Sox manager Robin Ventura said Saturday. The 28-year-old right-hander might have run away with Chicago's ninth-inning job if his health cooperated.

Source: Daryl Van Schouwen on Twitter

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 04:30 PM)
Nate Jones (back) might not return in 2014.

Jones has been out since the first week of the season with a lower back injury. "There's been enough setbacks that I wouldn't expect him to be back this year," White Sox manager Robin Ventura said Saturday. The 28-year-old right-hander might have run away with Chicago's ninth-inning job if his health cooperated.

Source: Daryl Van Schouwen on Twitter

Well, that blows. Still not sure what he can be and learned nothing new this season.

If he can't pitch this year but they think he'll be back next year that makes it really, really tough to figure out how to Fix the bullpen. You pencil him in for a role but can you count on him? If he can't come back next year, there's no way that doesn't knock out a major bullpen piece.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 04:36 PM)
If he can't pitch this year but they think he'll be back next year that makes it really, really tough to figure out how to Fix the bullpen. You pencil him in for a role but can you count on him? If he can't come back next year, there's no way that doesn't knock out a major bullpen piece.

Exactly. I think they need to look at it as a pleasant surprise if he pitches well enough to be a significant piece, and plan for the worst case. Does he still qualify for 1st year arb or do they get an extra pre-arb year now?

Exactly. I think they need to look at it as a pleasant surprise if he pitches well enough to be a significant piece, and plan for the worst case. Does he still qualify for 1st year arb or do they get an extra pre-arb year now?

He gets a full year's service time for this year.