HOU vs Aiken

LDF

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
To try and get him to sign and avoid a PR disaster while also retaining the services to their 5th round pick.

and with that shenanigans they got a bad PR to boot now. which is justified.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 08:09 AM)
I think the compensation pick the next season should be determined by the percentage of slot you ultimately offer. If they offer him 40% slot and he doesn't sign, your compensation isn't the second pick in the draft, but a 3rd rounder. You offer 90% slot, you get the 2nd pick. Something like that. If it's true Houston upped their offer to $5 million with 5 minutes left until the deadline, and were shocked at no response, that's just crazy. Ultimately what they initially agreed to and the 40% slot financially is the price of a slightly better than replacement level player for one season. While it's a lot of money to me and most people, in baseball it's basically nothing.

What I don't get is if they really think his arm is going to be a problem, why up your offer multiple times in the last minute, but then let the kid slip away over a million a half. It is one thing to bid the minimum to keep compensation. But to let him and 2 other picks walk because of $1.5 million? Either he isn't worth it because his arm is wonked, or he is OK, and worth the number one pick. Pay him his money and move on. I think Houston's late bidding activity directly contradicts their public contentions about his health being a factor.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 10:35 AM)
What I don't get is if they really think his arm is going to be a problem, why up your offer multiple times in the last minute, but then let the kid slip away over a million a half. It is one thing to bid the minimum to keep compensation. But to let him and 2 other picks walk because of $1.5 million? Either he isn't worth it because his arm is wonked, or he is OK, and worth the number one pick. Pay him his money and move on. I think Houston's late bidding activity directly contradicts their public contentions about his health being a factor.

You have to wonder if Aiken and Close just shut the door when the lowballing began, and just kept it closed even if the Astros came back to their original offer. After an experience like that coupled with the issues with Springer and Appell and Singleton, why would anyone want to begin their career with the astros.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)
You have to wonder if Aiken and Close just shut the door when the lowballing began, and just kept it closed even if the Astros came back to their original offer. After an experience like that coupled with the issues with Springer and Appell and Singleton, why would anyone want to begin their career with the astros.

I am sure that is part of what happened. The reality is that all of that should have stayed behind closed doors. After that, if you are willing to bid more, just give him what you agreed to. Don't wait until the last minute to try to pressure him into a discount. Either that, or stick to your minimum offer if you are really sure that the medicals are accurate.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 10:55 AM)
I am sure that is part of what happened. The reality is that all of that should have stayed behind closed doors. After that, if you are willing to bid more, just give him what you agreed to. Don't wait until the last minute to try to pressure him into a discount. Either that, or stick to your minimum offer if you are really sure that the medicals are accurate.

Close wanted to make it public though. He represents Aiken and Nix. He had the leverage.

Edited by Y2JImmy0

So is this right:

Close benefits because he looks like he really stands up for players against big brother.

Aiken loses because now he may never make money.

The later pick lost his money and pro contract too?

The Astros just look terrible.

I feel bad for the kids if they just wanted to play ball for the market price.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
So is this right:

Close benefits because he looks like he really stands up for players against big brother.

Aiken loses because now he may never make money.

The later pick lost his money and pro contract too?

The Astros just look terrible.

I feel bad for the kids if they just wanted to play ball for the market price.

Close loses because he lost his cut on both Aiken and Nix.