Andy Wilkins

ILMOU

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 08:23 PM)
Are you being serious, or humorous?

anyway.

What's the worst that can happen, he bombs? His numbers are similar to Wilkins, so if he can play outfield like Willingham did with the Marlins, maybe the Sox have something. Start working him around the field to see if he can play any other positions. If he can't hack it at catcher, but he can hit the ball, find a spot for him.

I watched Danks a little closer last night at the plate (when I was watching the game) and his contact skills are horrendous. I think it's a lot easier to hit the 88 MPH fastballs in AAA with lesser secondary stuff. He looked like he needed an oar to hit the ball a few times last night. This is a guy who hit .276/.357/.476/.833 in AAA and played really well in June and July. Again, maybe there's something there and he can morph into a 4th outfielder, but I don't even have high hopes for that. That's why I'm as skeptical as I am of these AAA players.

I still want to see Wilkins, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Danks simply cannot HIT or LAY OFF a high fastball to save his life.

Last night, he couldn't even make contact with 87-89 MPH fastballs right over the heart of the plate.

He has always had a slider-speed bat and poor pitch recognition.

If you will recall, there was one at-bat where Danks just was overmatched by below-average stuff and then Chris Sale, the skinniest player in the majors, took a couple of nice cuts resulting in foul balls and then hit a hard grounder right up the middle which seemed it could even get through for a hit but the defense was positioned right there.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 08:29 AM)
Danks simply cannot HIT or LAY OFF a high fastball to save his life.

Last night, he couldn't even make contact with 87-89 MPH fastballs right over the heart of the plate.

He has always had a slider-speed bat and poor pitch recognition.

If you will recall, there was one at-bat where Danks just was overmatched by below-average stuff and then Chris Sale, the skinniest player in the majors, took a couple of nice cuts resulting in foul balls and then hit a hard grounder right up the middle which seemed it could even get through for a hit but the defense was positioned right there.

Right. Andy Wilkins

• 2 weeks later...

I was just spending some time looking for possible comps for Andy and I'm curious if the board feels that Garrett Jones would be a fair comp.

Jones didn't get a cup of coffee with the twins till he was 26 years old, he spent two years in the IL before coming up in '06 and '07. Here is how their numbers compare.

zUvEabP.png