Chicago and Seattle Tonight

elrockinMT

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

MLB.com's Scott Merkin writes that there's a "better-than-average chance" White Sox pitching prospect Carlos Rodon is promoted this season to work as a reliever.

It would be the same developmental path Chris Sale took in 2010, and that's worked out pretty well for the Pale Hose. Sale threw 23 1/3 relief innings for the White Sox that year, but he was called up in early August. If he's promoted, Rodon isn't expected to be up until September. The No. 3 overall pick has allowed four runs while striking out 13 over nine innings in his first five pro appearances. For what it's worth, manager Robin Ventura said he hasn't given thought to Rodon being promoted. "I'm not even going down that far," Ventura said. "We are concerned about what's going on right here. If they say he's pitching well enough to come up, then the more the merrier at this point."

Source: WhiteSox.mlb.com

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 05:40 AM)
MLB.com's Scott Merkin writes that there's a "better-than-average chance" White Sox pitching prospect Carlos Rodon is promoted this season to work as a reliever.

It would be the same developmental path Chris Sale took in 2010, and that's worked out pretty well for the Pale Hose. Sale threw 23 1/3 relief innings for the White Sox that year, but he was called up in early August. If he's promoted, Rodon isn't expected to be up until September. The No. 3 overall pick has allowed four runs while striking out 13 over nine innings in his first five pro appearances. For what it's worth, manager Robin Ventura said he hasn't given thought to Rodon being promoted. "I'm not even going down that far," Ventura said. "We are concerned about what's going on right here. If they say he's pitching well enough to come up, then the more the merrier at this point."

I'm really not a fan of promoting him so he can be a reliever. I like the approach they took today of allowing him to prepare like he was a starter, and then give him a few innings.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 11:42 PM)
I'm really not a fan of promoting him so he can be a reliever. I like the approach they took today of allowing him to prepare like he was a starter, and then give him a few innings.

Are you suggesting he do that in the Majors?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 04:42 AM)
Are you suggesting he do that in the Majors?

I would keep him in the minors the rest of the year, as he threw a ton of pitches for NC St. Given the fact this team isn't playing for anything the rest of the way, I'm just not a fan of rushing him up.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 11:44 PM)
I would keep him in the minors the rest of the year, as he threw a ton of pitches for NC St. Given the fact this team isn't playing for anything the rest of the way, I'm just not a fan of rushing him up.

He got all the money he could, now it is the Sox turn to set policy. I would not use him at all this year.

Edited by Soxfest

The Sox might be realising they have to overhaul the entire bullpen in one offseason, and since spending big money on a closer is out of the question they may have to Rodon it for a year.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 05:46 AM)
He got all the money he could, now it is the Sox turn to set policy. I would not use him at all this year.

I'm not a fan at all of having these guys who have started their entire career change up their routine just to throw 15 pitches in an inning for the entire game.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 12:44 AM)

If he comes up, I would think it's because there was some sort of agreement when he signed, a la Sale and Gillaspie.

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 11:47 PM)
The Sox might be realising they have to overhaul the entire bullpen in one offseason, and since spending big money on a closer is out of the question they may have to Rodon it for a year.

But we need starting pitching, too... Sale and Quintana can't alternate and start every game

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 05:47 AM)

Then everyone that makes decisions in the organization should be fired.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 11:44 PM)

Well the minor league season ends early September so you may as well let him work in the majors, finish off the year with the team and then prep in the off-season to come into Spring Training as a starter.