Washington Football Franchise team name discussion

Quin

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
So why is it ok for people to criticize Roger Goodell's decisions on like the Ray Rice suspension? "Not give us your opinions and biases"?

Because they don't work for the NFL? Not sure what you are saying here. You and I can criticize him, or the Redskins, all we want. Our paychecks aren't dependent on the NFL. If some announcers were, well that isn't too good either. Same for when Costas went all off about guns in his broadcast. He is paid to announce sports, not tell the world he wets his pants at the sight of a gun.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 04:47 PM)
ok have any actual announcers said that they aren't going to use Pro-Football, Incorporated's pseudonym?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/25/e..._n_5709023.html

ESPN Announcers To Use Their Judgment When Referring To Washington Redskins

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/...o-say-redskins/

If CBS announcers don’t want to say the arguably offensive name of the Washington NFL team, they don’t have to. If they want to, they can.

That’s the word from CBS Sports Chairman Sean McManus,

Unfortunately, Roger, not wanting to wade into that mess, has said the NFL won't say anything if announcers refuse to say it. If they do refuse, Snyder should sue. I bet there can be a very craft legal thing there somewhere where they are damaging his brand by not affording it the same airtime and recognition as other teams brand.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 05:34 PM)
Because they don't work for the NFL? Not sure what you are saying here. You and I can criticize him, or the Redskins, all we want. Our paychecks aren't dependent on the NFL. If some announcers were, well that isn't too good either. Same for when Costas went all off about guns in his broadcast. He is paid to announce sports, not tell the world he wets his pants at the sight of a gun.

The New York Daily News works for the NFL?

If it were me, I'd say Redskins just for consistency's sake. One would think it would be difficult to break the habit for a span of entire games...then you say it a few times and you look like an idiot..."and the Redskins score first!...oops, I mean Washington...aww the hell with it, nobody's watching anyways..."

Just to be clear, the Redskins/Washington Football Team/Whatever do NOT have a "right" to be called by their proper name by announcers, fans or reporters. If any of those people simply wants to say "Washington" or whatever, they can do that, and Snyder has no recourse.

The only things Snyder could make a legal issue about, are:

--If there is libel involved (like, they call the team some intentionally insulting or misleading name or something), and those are tough suits to win even if it does happen

--If the person speaking is an employee of the team, in which case they cane be disciplined or fired or whatever

--If a contract exists between the team and some entity that specifically states the team name must be used

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 10:55 PM)

LOL, that was hilarious. The outgoing Navajo Nation President... who was charged with official theft and settled out of court to pay the money back and avoid prosecution... and who is so unpopular there now for his corruption that he got 4% of the vote in the latest election results... was there to "represent" the Navajo Nation. Not to mention that the Navajo Nation Tribal Commitee voted 9-2 in favor of a resolution condemning the team name, and here's this guy implicitly saying it is OK.

Corrupt politicians come in all forms, including Navajo. Snyder is so tone deaf it is laughable. Did he not think people would find out who this guy was?

Oh look, I found this minority person who was willing to sit in my box, SEE I'M NOT RACIST!!!

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)
LOL, that was hilarious. The outgoing Navajo Nation President... who was charged with official theft and settled out of court to pay the money back and avoid prosecution... and who is so unpopular there now for his corruption that he got 4% of the vote in the latest election results... was there to "represent" the Navajo Nation. Not to mention that the Navajo Nation Tribal Commitee voted 9-2 in favor of a resolution condemning the team name, and here's this guy implicitly saying it is OK.

Corrupt politicians come in all forms, including Navajo. Snyder is so tone deaf it is laughable. Did he not think people would find out who this guy was?

Oh look, I found this minority person who was willing to sit in my box, SEE I'M NOT RACIST!!!

Hey, some of my best friends are [insert race, sex, color, creed, sexual preference here]!

Hey, some of my best friends are [insert race, sex, color, creed, sexual preference here]!

Just get one friend that is a bisexual woman who is half black, a quarter hispanic, and a quarter native american. Then you're all set.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)

Kinda like Abortion Barbie surrounding herself with people in wheelchairs after trying to make her opponent's wheelchair an issue, which backfired on her.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 01:17 PM)
Kinda like Abortion Barbie surrounding herself with people in wheelchairs after trying to make her opponent's wheelchair an issue, which backfired on her.

What is Abortion Barbie?

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
What is Abortion Barbie?

I had the same question but don't want to Google it at work. I'm guessing it's some disgusting name the GOP gave to some opponent candidate in an election (only saying GOP because obviously a Dem wouldn't use that particular slander - they'd use a different one).

She then tried saying her opponent would sign legislation to ban interracial marriages. This despite the fact that her opponent is married to a Hispanic woman. Wonder if she will come out and start dating a black guy or a Hispanic guy next and say 'see? I am all for interracial relationships!' She was a one-hit wonder in pink shoes, hence her nickname.