2014 Fantasy Football Thread

QUOTE (The 815 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 11:32 AM)
All right, rip apart my team. PPR and I was the 11th pick out of 12 teams

QB: Matt Ryan

RB: Joique Bell

RB: Shane Vereen

WR: Dez Bryant

WR: Demaryius Thomas

TE: Kyle Rudolph

WR/RB Flex: bench rotation

Bench RBs: Toby Gerhert, Carlos Hyde

Bench WRs: Terrance Williams, Justin Hunter, Josh Gordon (picked right before Mr.Irrelevant)

Bench TE: Charles Clay

K: Vinatieri

D/ST: Rams, Texans

Hoping Gordon decision comes sooner rather than later so I know if I can drop him or someone else when it's time to get a replacement kicker or QB. Only regret may have been taking Bell before Ryan Mathews was off the board, and not taking a backup QB over Hunter or Williams, and not getting a better defense...

My kind of draft

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The 815 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)

Bench WRs: Terrance Williams, Justin Hunter, Josh Gordon (picked right before Mr.Irrelevant)

Hoping Gordon decision comes sooner rather than later so I know if I can drop him or someone else when it's time to get a replacement kicker or QB. Only regret may have been taking Bell before Ryan Mathews was off the board, and not taking a backup QB over Hunter or Williams, and not getting a better defense...

You're pretty set at WR, especially if Gordon returns at some point. I'd try trading one of the bench WR along with one of your RBs to upgrade there. Both RBs are solid RB2s at worst and Vereen is a borderline RB1 in PPR but I think I'd try to get a RB in there who wasn't so dependent on the passing game to even it out.

QUOTE (The 815 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 11:32 AM)

That's a good team. Good PPR rbs. I'd rather have Bell than Mathews anyway.

And you don't need a backup QB. Pick one up for a bye or in case of injury, Hunter or Williams will contribute. Don't waste roster spots on backup QBs.

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 12:54 PM)
Ok well Chris Johnson was still a top 10 RB last year in PPR leagues and is consistent in terms of production. You cant say hes a year older and Ivory is going to get carries too and not apply the same to Bell. If the Jets were sold on Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell they wouldn't have brought in Chris Johnson. I don't see any worries there, plus he has gotten some goalline work in the preseason which is also a good sign. Bell still has Reggie Bush to split with, and as long as Bush stays healthy Bell has limited upside in terms of ousting Chris Johnson who now has moved to one of the better rushing teams in the league from last season. This is all personal opinion though, if you like Bell more that's your call.

Based on 2012, there was no reason for anyone to draft Fred Jackson when you look at what CJ Spiller did. That was the case in most of my leagues where people were picking him off the waiver wire. The only person who needed to draft Fred Jackson was the CJ Spiller owner and even that wasnt a must have handcuff. Fred Jackson was not a value guy last year, but he turned into a huge bonus for anyone who did draft him late or picked him up off waivers. Plus, im pretty sure I clarified my stance on the upside/flier guys with my RB example a few posts above.

The bolded part is important, because that's the whole point of getting the Hydes, Freemans, Hills of the draft. In the case of Hyde and Freeman, they are going to be playing behind older/injury prone backs and will have a high chance of seeing significant playing time this year. Even looking at Hill, yes hes behind Gio but check out BJGE workload from last year. It was something like 800 yards and 7 Tds, and that's what Hill is more than likely going to be inheriting. Nevermind he has more talent than BJGE, but I also question Gio's ability to be a workhorse guy which is prolly why they took a talented back like Hill fairly early in the draft. As far as Shonn Green goes, by the time you need to start looking at fill in backs Sankey is already going to be the back to own there. I see no value in having Shonn Green on your team unless Sankey blows out his knee in this last preseason game.

Its all personal opinion

100% disagree there.

Yes, you clarified. I like upside guys but a bench full of only them isn't going to do much. When s*** hits the fan and it's 5 weeks in and you have injuries and byes, those are the first guys getting dropped unless you have a ton of bench spots.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)
100% disagree there.

Yes, you clarified. I like upside guys but a bench full of only them isn't going to do much. When s*** hits the fan and it's 5 weeks in and you have injuries and byes, those are the first guys getting dropped unless you have a ton of bench spots.

How can you disagree? CJ Spiller exploded in 2012 and finished 6th in PPR leagues, Fred Jackson finished 35th. Buffalo even came out and said before last season they were going to feed Spiller the ball until he threw up. There wasn't much value in Fred Jackson BEFORE the season considering he had only played in 20 games the previous 2 seasons and they had a budding superstar in CJ Spiller to carry the load now. Obviously we can use hindsight, but there wasn't much good about Fred Jackson heading into 2013.

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 02:37 PM)
How can you disagree? CJ Spiller exploded in 2012 and finished 6th in PPR leagues, Fred Jackson finished 35th. Buffalo even came out and said before last season they were going to feed Spiller the ball until he threw up. There wasn't much value in Fred Jackson BEFORE the season considering he had only played in 20 games the previous 2 seasons and they had a budding superstar in CJ Spiller to carry the load now. Obviously we can use hindsight, but there wasn't much good about Fred Jackson heading into 2013.

He still had usable, bench numbers when he played in 2012, he wasn't just a handcuff who never saw the field. Spiller was obviously the guy to own, but Jackson would have been one of those backup RBs you'd take knowing he'd play and contribute something in any given week.

Matthew Berry 2013 love/hate:

"Fred Jackson, RB, Bills (13th, 10th): He's not dead; he's just in Buffalo. There is too a difference. As much as I love Spiller, Jackson is going to get some work, too, including the goal-line stuff. They want to run in Buffalo. Apparently until people start losing their lunches."

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 02:42 PM)
He still had usable, bench numbers when he played in 2012, he wasn't just a handcuff who never saw the field. Spiller was obviously the guy to own, but Jackson would have been one of those backup RBs you'd take knowing he'd play and contribute something in any given week.

Matthew Berry 2013 love/hate:

"Fred Jackson, RB, Bills (13th, 10th): He's not dead; he's just in Buffalo. There is too a difference. As much as I love Spiller, Jackson is going to get some work, too, including the goal-line stuff. They want to run in Buffalo. Apparently until people start losing their lunches."

Were just going to have to agree to disagree on that one. His 2012 numbers were about 600 total yards and 4 TDs, you can find those guys on the waiver wire. Im not looking to draft them.

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
Were just going to have to agree to disagree on that one. His 2012 numbers were about 600 total yards and 4 TDs, you can find those guys on the waiver wire. Im not looking to draft them.

...he only played 10 games. That's over 1,000 in a full season. Those guys aren't on the waiver wire.

He had useful numbers, especially in PPR.

14 teamer

QB Cam Newton

WR Alshon Jeffery

WR Roddy White

RB Eddie Lacy

RB Arian Foster

TE Zach Ertz

FLEX Emmanuel Sanders

K who cares

DEF who cares, i'll play matchups

BENCH

Steven Jackson

Terrance Williams

Bryce Brown

Eli Manning

Jacquizz Rodgers (handcuff)

Jonathan Grimes (handcuff)

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)
...he only played 10 games. That's over 1,000 in a full season. Those guys aren't on the waiver wire.

He had useful numbers, especially in PPR.

I just gave you his PPR numbers from 2012, him only playing in 10 games goes to the point that he wasn't that useful that year

If your goal is to find guys who can offer 600-1000 TOTAL yards and 4-5 TDs, you can absolutely find a guy like that on the waiver wire.

Edited by TRU

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)
14 teamer

QB Cam Newton

WR Alshon Jeffery

WR Roddy White

RB Eddie Lacy

RB Arian Foster

TE Zach Ertz

FLEX Emmanuel Sanders

K who cares

DEF who cares, i'll play matchups

BENCH

Steven Jackson

Terrance Williams

Bryce Brown

Eli Manning

Jacquizz Rodgers (handcuff)

Jonathan Grimes (handcuff)

Quizz is not the handcuff there

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
Quizz is not the handcuff there

Tell that to the coaches of the team, then, because they don't seem to be on board with Davonta this year.

In fact: "With Steven Jackson (hamstring) still sidelined, Rodgers started and handled the vast majority of first-team work. Antone Smith mixed in sparingly and Devonta Freeman got just one series to himself. It's clear that Quizz, now in his fourth year with the Falcons, has the faith of the coaching staff even though they are aware of his talent limitations. He'd lead a committee approach if Jackson misses any time early in the season."

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)
Tell that to the coaches of the team, then, because they don't seem to be on board with Davonta this year.

In fact: "With Steven Jackson (hamstring) still sidelined, Rodgers started and handled the vast majority of first-team work. Antone Smith mixed in sparingly and Devonta Freeman got just one series to himself. It's clear that Quizz, now in his fourth year with the Falcons, has the faith of the coaching staff even though they are aware of his talent limitations. He'd lead a committee approach if Jackson misses any time early in the season."

Welp, guess you'll see when Steven Jackson eventually goes down. I can get blurbs from ESPN too

"Steven Jackson is the starter. He turns 31 next month and probably has one good season left in him -- but if he is slowed by nagging injuries, the Falcons will turn to someone else. They drafted Devonta Freeman in the fourth round with thoughts of grooming him as the three-down back of the future. If he looks as good in pads as he did in shorts, Jackson might have a battle on his hands. Even the battle for the third running back will be interesting with Jacquizz Rodgers and Antone Smith in the mix. (ESPN)"

Edited by TRU

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 03:43 PM)
I just gave you his PPR numbers from 2012, him only playing in 10 games goes to the point that he wasn't that useful that year

If your goal is to find guys who can offer 600-1000 TOTAL yards and 4-5 TDs, you can absolutely find a guy like that on the waiver wire.

When he played, he was useful. Fantasy football is a weekly game, after all. So he was absolutely useful.

And no, you aren't finding 1,000+ yard, 6 td guys on the waiver wire frequently.

In the end, Jackson ended up being very useful last year, and some people thought he'd be useful based on usage in 2012.

It wasn't sheer luck some people drafted or rostered him. He was the perfect 3/4 RB before drafting pure lottery tickets.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
When he played, he was useful. Fantasy football is a weekly game, after all. So he was absolutely useful.

And no, you aren't finding 1,000+ yard, 6 td guys on the waiver wire frequently.

In the end, Jackson ended up being very useful last year, and some people thought he'd be useful based on usage in 2012.

It wasn't sheer luck some people drafted or rostered him. He was the perfect 3/4 RB before drafting pure lottery tickets.

I agree he was absolutely useful last year.. and no, it wasn't luck that people drafted and rostered him, it was luck that Spiller crapped his pants and gave Jackson that opportunity to do what he did. He was a waiver wire add in a lot of my leagues though, and while not frequently those guys ARE there depending on how much you work the wire.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)
I just like how much we're talking about Freddy Jackson :wub:

I think its ridiculous we wasted so much time arguing the merits of 2012 Fred Jackson, its time to get back to fantasy talk for THIS year

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 04:07 PM)
Welp, guess you'll see when Steven Jackson eventually goes down. I can get blurbs from ESPN too

"Steven Jackson is the starter. He turns 31 next month and probably has one good season left in him -- but if he is slowed by nagging injuries, the Falcons will turn to someone else. They drafted Devonta Freeman in the fourth round with thoughts of grooming him as the three-down back of the future. If he looks as good in pads as he did in shorts, Jackson might have a battle on his hands. Even the battle for the third running back will be interesting with Jacquizz Rodgers and Antone Smith in the mix. (ESPN)"

That was written months ago. The quote I pulled was written yesterday.

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)
I think its ridiculous we wasted so much time arguing the merits of 2012 Fred Jackson, its time to get back to fantasy talk for THIS year

It's relevant to a conversation we've had about this year, building a bench, etc.

12 team, PPR, standard scoring

QB: Drew Brees

RB: Ben Tate

RB: Toby Gerhart

WR: AJ Green

WR: Michael Crabtree

FX: Michael Floyd

D/ST: Bills

K: Dan Carpenter

Bench:

RB: Mark Ingram, Lance Dunbar, Christine Michael

WR: Dwayne Bowe, Justin Hunter, Kenny Britt

TE: Tim Wright

I had the 12th pick and wasn't happy about the running backs I had to pick from, and I'm still not particularly happy, but I think I can live.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 09:06 PM)
12 team, PPR, standard scoring

QB: Drew Brees

RB: Ben Tate

RB: Toby Gerhart

WR: AJ Green

WR: Michael Crabtree

FX: Michael Floyd

D/ST: Bills

K: Dan Carpenter

Bench:

RB: Mark Ingram, Lance Dunbar, Christine Michael

WR: Dwayne Bowe, Justin Hunter, Kenny Britt

TE: Tim Wright

I had the 12th pick and wasn't happy about the running backs I had to pick from, and I'm still not particularly happy, but I think I can live.

Ouch, I hope that was only a mock draft

Think I did much better in my 2nd of 3 leagues this year. (Reading through this thread has better prepared me the 2nd go around)

QB- Cutler

WR- Johnson

WR- Edleman

WR- Wright

RB- Ball

RB- Gerhart (What are thoughts on him this year?)

TE- Cameron

Felx- J. Bell

Bench- Moreno, West, Watkins, Celek, Flacco.

Made yet another oopsies with byes. Johnson and Wright both have week 9 byes, and on top of that I only have 1 WR on the bench. Cameron has a week 4 bye so I'll just dump Celek for a WR after that.

Would like to keep Flacco simply because of Jay's injury history.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 09:48 PM)
Cameron has a week 4 bye so I'll just dump him for a WR after that.

Would like to keep Flacco simply because of Jay's injury history.

Dude, no. Cameron is a useful piece you probably drafted in the mid-rounds to be your starting TE. Don't drop him just because he's on a bye. If anything, drop Celek after week 4 because you're not going to need a 2nd TE the rest of the year unless Cameron gets hurt (in which case you can probably go get Celek again).

You also seem to be set on carrying two QB's even though there are enough of them that you should be able to find a serviceable one on the waiver wire. That really hurts you in a league with a short bench relative to the starting lineup like this one. Being stubborn like that makes you do silly things like drop Jordan Cameron because you insist on carrying Joe f***ing Flacco.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 10:11 PM)
Dude, no. Cameron is a useful piece you probably drafted in the mid-rounds to be your starting TE. Don't drop him just because he's on a bye. If anything, drop Celek after week 4 because you're not going to need a 2nd TE the rest of the year unless Cameron gets hurt (in which case you can probably go get Celek again).

You also seem to be set on carrying two QB's even though there are enough of them that you should be able to find a serviceable one on the waiver wire. That really hurts you in a league with a short bench relative to the starting lineup like this one. Being stubborn like that makes you do silly things like drop Jordan Cameron because you insist on carrying Joe f***ing Flacco.

And I continue to make whoopsies.....Dump Celek after Camerons bye.

I love Jays fantasy potential but I know he's a huge injury risk. I actually like Flacco this year now that Pitta is back and they brought in Owen Daniels and Steve Smith. After I swap Celek for a WR I'll have 2 WRs and 2 RBs, I should be fine.

Edited by scs787