2014 Fantasy Football Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
My gut feeling is this has taken way too long for him to be suspended for the season. I would guess 8 games, which means he is eligible to return for week 10. Quite the boost for the run to the fantasy playoffs. Ive been able to land him in all leagues but 1 so far.

I'm targeting round 9/10. I have the 12th pick in my PPR league (AGAIN, 2 years in a row now). Frankly, at that point, you are drafting WR/RB3's who have upside, so drafting a guy who could give you that type of total point output (meaning a WR3 output) over 8 games is quite a steal. And I mean, who are you going to keep over him, Jeremy Kerley (or whatever)?

Yeah, if he's done for the season, I lose him, whoop dee doo. I bought into the Steven Jackson and David Wilson hype last year and got absolutely torhced for that, and I drafted them like 12/13.

out of curiosity, when do most fantasy leagues end in here?

Our playoffs begin Week 13 (3 playoff games, superbowl week 16), so 8 games suspension would be pretty brutal if I'm out of it by then.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 05:13 PM)
out of curiosity, when do most fantasy leagues end in here?

Our playoffs begin Week 13 (3 playoff games, superbowl week 16), so 8 games suspension would be pretty brutal if I'm out of it by then.

8 games means hes back week 10 (They have a bye week 4) which means you would have him for 7 weeks if you go all the way to the title game. If you can make the roster spot work its definitely worth it.

Ill edit it my leagues are the same as you stated, and I would think any legit league would be set up the same.

Edited by TRU

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 05:01 PM)
I'm targeting round 9/10. I have the 12th pick in my PPR league (AGAIN, 2 years in a row now). Frankly, at that point, you are drafting WR/RB3's who have upside, so drafting a guy who could give you that type of total point output (meaning a WR3 output) over 8 games is quite a steal. And I mean, who are you going to keep over him, Jeremy Kerley (or whatever)?

Yeah, if he's done for the season, I lose him, whoop dee doo. I bought into the Steven Jackson and David Wilson hype last year and got absolutely torhced for that, and I drafted them like 12/13.

Yup nailed it. I have taken him in round 9 every time I got him. We will know whats going on with him before the season starts, so if he is out for the year big deal I can drop him and pick up another upside guy no problem.

I am facing another problem though, I have Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant, and Randall Cobb. If Gordon comes back, I only can play 3 of them so I will be put in a tough spot in terms of playing or trading.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)
My 10 team ppr league

QB Aaron Rodgers

RB Eddy lacy

RB Chris Johnson

WR Dez Bryant

WR Andre Johnson

WR Reggie Wayne

TE Vernon Davis

FLEX Emmanuel Sanders

DEF Chiefs

K Blair Walsh

Bench

QB Tony Romo

RB Ryan Matthews

RB Joique Bell

RB Darren McFadden

WR Marquise Lee

TE Jason Witten

DEF Bengals

Play Joique Bell over Chris Johnson, especially in PPR.

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)
Not a fan. Although I don't play standard leagues, if your RBs hold up and Leveon Bell doesn't miss major time with a looming suspension it could be pretty nice. Wes Welker got his third concussion in what, 10 months? Who knows what you would get from that guy going forward, hes undraftable to me now. Jackson is too inconsistent. And as said already, Newton is banged up and has very little offensive weapons. Although, I guess you could say thats always been true about him.

And I cant stress this enough, but people please go for upside with your bench. What does Shonn Greene, Legerrette Blount, and Chris Ivory offer you? They have no upside, where as guys like Carlos Hyde and Devonta Freeman are one broken down RB in front of them from becoming impact workload guys. Justin Hunter is going way late in drafts, he has 30 career catches in the preseason and regular season, 8 of them have gone for TDs. Hes a guy who could explode this year, Riley Cooper doesnt have the upside that a Justin Hunter has. Just my two cents.

You can't have all upside on your bench and wait for injuries, you also need some usefulness. Right now Greene should get some points if you have an injury/bye week etc. In that situation, you are playing Green over a Freeman or a Hyde at this moment. You need some safety guys to actually contribute. Hyde may not do anything unless an injury. You need a balance. Every team needs some Fred Jackson's etc. to contribute in spots to go along with some lottery picks.

Also depends how big your bench is. If you have 4 bench spots, you really don't have room for lottery tickets unless they are handcuffs.

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 07:07 PM)
8 games means hes back week 10 (They have a bye week 4) which means you would have him for 7 weeks if you go all the way to the title game. If you can make the roster spot work its definitely worth it.

Ill edit it my leagues are the same as you stated, and I would think any legit league would be set up the same.

I don't think every legit league has 4 weeks of playoffs. In a ten team league, we put 4 in. 15 and 16. That's legit enough, 6 teams shouldn't be making the playoffs in a 10 team league.

If you have 12 teams I'm unsure of your set up to have 4 weeks worth of playoffs. Are you really putting in 8 teams?

Also leagues should pay out for regular season as well, not just the more luck-driven playoffs at the end.

QB: Jay Cutler

RB: Jamaal Charles

RB: Montee Ball

WR: Alshon Jeffery

WR: Antonio Brown

TE: Dennis Pitta

FLEX: Ryan Tannehill

K/DEF: Who cares - streaming

Bench: Johnny Manziel, Chris Johnson, MJD, Knile Davis, Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter, Terrance Williams. And I picked up Shaun Hill right after Bradford left the game over the weekend

12 team PPR league. QBs are allowed to play in the FLEX so most teams use 2 QB's every week. Defense also gets points based on ST return yards so I've streamed a defense every week all 3 years in this league

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 09:45 PM)
Play Joique Bell over Chris Johnson, especially in PPR.

You can't have all upside on your bench and wait for injuries, you also need some usefulness. Right now Greene should get some points if you have an injury/bye week etc. In that situation, you are playing Green over a Freeman or a Hyde at this moment. You need some safety guys to actually contribute. Hyde may not do anything unless an injury. You need a balance. Every team needs some Fred Jackson's etc. to contribute in spots to go along with some lottery picks.

Also depends how big your bench is. If you have 4 bench spots, you really don't have room for lottery tickets unless they are handcuffs.

I don't think every legit league has 4 weeks of playoffs. In a ten team league, we put 4 in. 15 and 16. That's legit enough, 6 teams shouldn't be making the playoffs in a 10 team league.

If you have 12 teams I'm unsure of your set up to have 4 weeks worth of playoffs. Are you really putting in 8 teams?

Also leagues should pay out for regular season as well, not just the more luck-driven playoffs at the end.

Chris Johnson was 8th in PPR scoring last year, Bell was 15th. Not sure id go with Bell over Johnson especially since Bush is a bigger threat than anything the Jets have in terms of cutting into production.

You just proved my point for me with the Fred Jackson comment. Upside on your bench doesn't mean all no name guys, it means guys with opportunity. Fred Jackson wasn't drafted very high last year, but was a guy with the right situation could become fantasy relevant. The goal is to "predict" the Fred Jackson this year, I believe that's going to be Jeremy Hill. Shonn Green cant stay healthy and the Titans invested a 2nd round pick in a back. Hes going to be pretty useless in terms of fantasy pretty quick. Also consider bye weeks as a factor as well. If your starting RBs don't go on by until weeks 7 or later, the longer you have to roster the guys who will most likely be at the head of the depth chart come those bye weeks.

Maybe something was missed on the playoff thing, 3 weeks not 4 is what I was talking about. Fantasy season runs through week 13 and the playoffs are 14,15,16.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 07:17 AM)
QB: Jay Cutler

RB: Jamaal Charles

RB: Montee Ball

WR: Alshon Jeffery

WR: Antonio Brown

TE: Dennis Pitta

FLEX: Ryan Tannehill

K/DEF: Who cares - streaming

Bench: Johnny Manziel, Chris Johnson, MJD, Knile Davis, Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter, Terrance Williams. And I picked up Shaun Hill right after Bradford left the game over the weekend

12 team PPR league. QBs are allowed to play in the FLEX so most teams use 2 QB's every week. Defense also gets points based on ST return yards so I've streamed a defense every week all 3 years in this league

I really like everyone except the QBs. There's a lot of big upside on the team with what should be good production all around too. I worry about Tannehill as the flex, but, like I said, there's a ton of upside.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 07:34 AM)
Is that normal to be able to play a QB at the flex? My league just does RB/WR/TE.

It's not normal, but 2 QB leagues are fun as hell.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 07:34 AM)
Is that normal to be able to play a QB at the flex? My league just does RB/WR/TE.

I just fought to have that removed from our work league. Its the worst, we had a super flex (QB/RB/WR/TE) and there was no reason not to start your draft off with QB-QB. QBs dominate the league, its not very fun IMO

And just to expand a little more, here is my RB situation in my work league

RB1: Montee Ball

RB2: Rashad Jennings

BN: Danny Woodhead

BN: Jeremy Hill

BN: Devonta Freeman

I did grab a solid play guy in Woodhead along with the upside guys so all is not lost if one of them doesn't pan out.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
I really like everyone except the QBs. There's a lot of big upside on the team with what should be good production all around too. I worry about Tannehill as the flex, but, like I said, there's a ton of upside.

It's not normal, but 2 QB leagues are fun as hell.

Yeah I'm worried about my QBs as well. I'm hoping I can turn one of my WRs on my bench into an upgrade as the season progresses

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 09:21 AM)
Yeah I'm worried about my QBs as well.

I wouldn't be, if Cutler can stay healthy hes an easy top 7 QB this year with all of those weapons. I think Tannehill breaks out this season as well and is in the 30 TDs range.

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 08:38 AM)
Chris Johnson was 8th in PPR scoring last year, Bell was 15th. Not sure id go with Bell over Johnson especially since Bush is a bigger threat than anything the Jets have in terms of cutting into production.

You just proved my point for me with the Fred Jackson comment. Upside on your bench doesn't mean all no name guys, it means guys with opportunity. Fred Jackson wasn't drafted very high last year, but was a guy with the right situation could become fantasy relevant. The goal is to "predict" the Fred Jackson this year, I believe that's going to be Jeremy Hill. Shonn Green cant stay healthy and the Titans invested a 2nd round pick in a back. Hes going to be pretty useless in terms of fantasy pretty quick. Also consider bye weeks as a factor as well. If your starting RBs don't go on by until weeks 7 or later, the longer you have to roster the guys who will most likely be at the head of the depth chart come those bye weeks.

Maybe something was missed on the playoff thing, 3 weeks not 4 is what I was talking about. Fantasy season runs through week 13 and the playoffs are 14,15,16.

Depends on scoring, we had Johnson 9th and Bell 14th, separated by a mere 22 points. Ivory is going to get carries for NYJ as well. Do we know Johnson is going to get goal line work? And it's the NYJ. And Johnson is another year older:

"But Johnson finished 45th out of 47 qualified running backs in average yards after contact and lost much of his decisiveness at the line."

They just invested a ton in Bell over the offseason, he gets catches and will also get the goal line work.

Except we knew Fred Jackson has value going into last year based on 2012, he wasn't the lottery ticket we're referring to, waiting for injury.

Fred Jackson was the value guy from the get go, not the waiting for opportunity guy.

Shonn Greene probably gets the first carry of the year for the Titans. He's going to be pretty useful if Sankey continues to disappoint and you need someone to get points early on in the season, compared to a Hyde or Freeman who could put up next to nothing. That's the point. You can't have ALL "predict the next superstar" guys. You want some lottery tickets, but you need some usefulness early as well. With RBs, you can't just look at late bye weeks, they miss more games here and there than any other position.

All right, rip apart my team. PPR and I was the 11th pick out of 12 teams

QB: Matt Ryan

RB: Joique Bell

RB: Shane Vereen

WR: Dez Bryant

WR: Demaryius Thomas

TE: Kyle Rudolph

WR/RB Flex: bench rotation

Bench RBs: Toby Gerhert, Carlos Hyde

Bench WRs: Terrance Williams, Justin Hunter, Josh Gordon (picked right before Mr.Irrelevant)

Bench TE: Charles Clay

K: Vinatieri

D/ST: Rams, Texans

Hoping Gordon decision comes sooner rather than later so I know if I can drop him or someone else when it's time to get a replacement kicker or QB. Only regret may have been taking Bell before Ryan Mathews was off the board, and not taking a backup QB over Hunter or Williams, and not getting a better defense...

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)
Defenses are volatile - there are times really good defenses don't get you any points and really bad defenses get you a lot of points. I usually just work based off matchups with those on a weekly basis.

Unless you had Seattle last year, they were so awesomely consistent. But yes, I agree with you in theory, usually play the matchup game.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
Unless you had Seattle last year, they were so awesomely consistent. But yes, I agree with you in theory, usually play the matchup game.

There are others you can be pretty safe with. When the Smith's are healthy and active, the 49ers defense is typically the same way, but I don't ever count on my defense getting me any points.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 10:52 AM)
Depends on scoring, we had Johnson 9th and Bell 14th, separated by a mere 22 points. Ivory is going to get carries for NYJ as well. Do we know Johnson is going to get goal line work? And it's the NYJ. And Johnson is another year older:

"But Johnson finished 45th out of 47 qualified running backs in average yards after contact and lost much of his decisiveness at the line."

They just invested a ton in Bell over the offseason, he gets catches and will also get the goal line work.

Except we knew Fred Jackson has value going into last year based on 2012, he wasn't the lottery ticket we're referring to, waiting for injury.

Fred Jackson was the value guy from the get go, not the waiting for opportunity guy.

Shonn Greene probably gets the first carry of the year for the Titans. He's going to be pretty useful if Sankey continues to disappoint and you need someone to get points early on in the season, compared to a Hyde or Freeman who could put up next to nothing. That's the point. You can't have ALL "predict the next superstar" guys. You want some lottery tickets, but you need some usefulness early as well. With RBs, you can't just look at late bye weeks, they miss more games here and there than any other position.

Ok well Chris Johnson was still a top 10 RB last year in PPR leagues and is consistent in terms of production. You cant say hes a year older and Ivory is going to get carries too and not apply the same to Bell. If the Jets were sold on Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell they wouldn't have brought in Chris Johnson. I don't see any worries there, plus he has gotten some goalline work in the preseason which is also a good sign. Bell still has Reggie Bush to split with, and as long as Bush stays healthy Bell has limited upside in terms of ousting Chris Johnson who now has moved to one of the better rushing teams in the league from last season. This is all personal opinion though, if you like Bell more that's your call.

Based on 2012, there was no reason for anyone to draft Fred Jackson when you look at what CJ Spiller did. That was the case in most of my leagues where people were picking him off the waiver wire. The only person who needed to draft Fred Jackson was the CJ Spiller owner and even that wasnt a must have handcuff. Fred Jackson was not a value guy last year, but he turned into a huge bonus for anyone who did draft him late or picked him up off waivers. Plus, im pretty sure I clarified my stance on the upside/flier guys with my RB example a few posts above.

The bolded part is important, because that's the whole point of getting the Hydes, Freemans, Hills of the draft. In the case of Hyde and Freeman, they are going to be playing behind older/injury prone backs and will have a high chance of seeing significant playing time this year. Even looking at Hill, yes hes behind Gio but check out BJGE workload from last year. It was something like 800 yards and 7 Tds, and that's what Hill is more than likely going to be inheriting. Nevermind he has more talent than BJGE, but I also question Gio's ability to be a workhorse guy which is prolly why they took a talented back like Hill fairly early in the draft. As far as Shonn Green goes, by the time you need to start looking at fill in backs Sankey is already going to be the back to own there. I see no value in having Shonn Green on your team unless Sankey blows out his knee in this last preseason game.

Its all personal opinion