AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!

2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 10:55 AM)
Depends on what they're willing to spend in the offseason, and also whether they're willing to 1) trade Alexei Ramirez, or 2) trade Anderson/Hawkins/Montas/Danish.

I still think that Viciedo's going to come into the season as the 4th outfielder/back-up plan/occasional DH and depending on what happens with players like a Garcia or Wilkins or whatever bat they get for DH, he could still end up with 400+ at-bats in one last ditch attempt to see if he can put it all together for the Sox.

If the goal for Viciedo is to try to harness some of that talent, then having him get 300 at bats seems silly to me because that's not the setup where I think it would happen.

If the goal for Viciedo is to win as many games as possible, you could probably get some benefit from getting him 300 PA's, but are you willing to pay him $5-6 million next year for the opportunity? a couple million this year isn't bad, but the raise next year makes that seem pricey.

Also worth noting, he doesn't have strong platoon splits, he's been an equally weak hitter against both sides, so it makes little sense to use him in a platoon based on those numbers, and he's bad and getting worse on defense so it makes no sense to use him as a 4th OF since he's not going to ever play CF or replace anyone for defensive purposes.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
Depends on what they're willing to spend in the offseason, and also whether they're willing to 1) trade Alexei Ramirez, or 2) trade Anderson/Hawkins/Montas/Danish.

I still think that Viciedo's going to come into the season as the 4th outfielder/back-up plan/occasional DH and depending on what happens with players like a Garcia or Wilkins or whatever bat they get for DH, he could still end up with 400+ at-bats in one last ditch attempt to see if he can put it all together for the Sox.

Viciedo would be a terrible bench player. He has no speed,and he can't play defense. All he can do is hit for occasional power. We have 4th OFs on the roster in guys like Danks or Mitchell.

Listening to Hahn talk, we are going to look at players with big contracts, and might come here for a really cheap price in terms of a trade. Guys like Kemp and Hamilton come to mind.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 09:02 AM)
Viciedo would be a terrible bench player. He has no speed,and he can't play defense. All he can do is hit for occasional power. We have 4th OFs on the roster in guys like Danks or Mitchell.

Listening to Hahn talk, we are going to look at players with big contracts, and might come here for a really cheap price in terms of a trade. Guys like Kemp and Hamilton come to mind.

Yuck.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 09:00 AM)
If the goal for Viciedo is to try to harness some of that talent, then having him get 300 at bats seems silly to me because that's not the setup where I think it would happen.

If the goal for Viciedo is to win as many games as possible, you could probably get some benefit from getting him 300 PA's, but are you willing to pay him $5-6 million next year for the opportunity? a couple million this year isn't bad, but the raise next year makes that seem pricey.

Also worth noting, he doesn't have strong platoon splits, he's been an equally weak hitter against both sides, so it makes little sense to use him in a platoon based on those numbers, and he's bad and getting worse on defense so it makes no sense to use him as a 4th OF since he's not going to ever play CF or replace anyone for defensive purposes.

But the same arguments were made about DeAza and Beckham last offseason and both were tendered...with DeAza originally LOOKING like he would be the one on the outside looking in as the 4th.

I also don't think they're going to cut him loose and use that money for Nate Jones to sit out another year with little or no baseball activity.

If they do sign Victor Martinez, then he's either gone or you make him your starter for one last season in LF or RF. If you sign a James Shields, then Viciedo can play either RF/LF or split time at DH with Wilkins and in the OF.

Nothing is ideal, but I don't think they planned on Garcia going down last year either...another way of looking at this type of decision, were the prospects we eventually got back for DeAza and Beckham worth the money we spent on those guys in a non-contending season? I doubt it. We shall see.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)

If it's for cheap, they take a bad contract (Danks?) back and send money over, I would gladly take Kemp or Hamilton. But my preferred choice would be Kemp.

Hamilton this year (been injured for a good part and turning 34 next year)

262/330/418/748

10 HRs 44 RBIs

Matt Kemp this year (Turning 30 in a month, this in a HUGE ballpark.)

281/346/475/821

17 HRs 66 RBIs 32 2Bs 48BB

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 10:14 AM)
If it's for cheap, they take a bad contract (Danks?) back and send money over, I would gladly take Kemp or Hamilton. But my preferred choice would be Kemp.

Hamilton this year (been injured for a good part and turning 34 next year)

262/330/418/748

10 HRs 44 RBIs

Matt Kemp this year (Turning 30 in a month, this in a HUGE ballpark.)

281/346/475/821

17 HRs 66 RBIs 32 2Bs 48BB

This is the type of scenario I am thinking of. Another name that hit me yesterday, but isn't very likely because of the rivalry is Joe Mauer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 10:17 AM)
This is the type of scenario I am thinking of. Another name that hit me yesterday, but isn't very likely because of the rivalry is Joe Mauer.

I like your scenario because based on what Hahn has said, those players make sense. I would love to get all over Kemp and stick him in left or right.

Honestly, Maurer was a name I thought of too. Him making 23 million next season hitting 273 with 4 HRs scares me a ton.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
I like your scenario because based on what Hahn has said, those players make sense. I would love to get all over Kemp and stick him in left or right.

Honestly, Mauer was a name I thought of too. Him making 23 million next season hitting 273 with 4 HRs scares me a ton.

He also wouldn't fill the positional need that Kemp or someone would. He's a full-time 1B now. I guess he could DH and spell Abreu, but yeesh.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 10:27 AM)
He also wouldn't fill the positional need that Kemp or someone would. He's a full-time 1B now. I guess he could DH and spell Abreu, but yeesh.

Exactly. How much is left on Kemp's contract? Like 4 years correct but I'm not sure on the money. If someone could help me out there please.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)
Exactly. How much is left on Kemp's contract? Like 4 years correct but I'm not sure on the money. If someone could help me out there please.

More than you'd think.

2015 30 Los Angeles Dodgers $21,000,000

2016 31 Los Angeles Dodgers $21,500,000

2017 32 Los Angeles Dodgers $21,500,000

2018 33 Los Angeles Dodgers $21,500,000

2019 34 Los Angeles Dodgers $21,500,000

5 years, $107 million remaining.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
More than you'd think.

2015 30 Los Angeles Dodgers $21,000,000

2016 31 Los Angeles Dodgers $21,500,000

2017 32 Los Angeles Dodgers $21,500,000

2018 33 Los Angeles Dodgers $21,500,000

2019 34 Los Angeles Dodgers $21,500,000

5 years, $107 million remaining.

Wow. That is a lot. If Hahn were to trade for him, I'd expect some cash being sent back our way, if not, they aren't getting that big of prospect/prospects in return.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
Kemp is an outfielder in name only. He is not good out there.

Better than Viciedo.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
Better than Viciedo.

I'm really not sure about that. Kemp is really, really bad.

Besides that, you don't trade in a Hummer to get a more expensive Hummer and then cite gas mileage as the reason you did. Either way, it's going to be bad.

Bottom line, I'd much rather go with Viciedo over Kemp or Hamilton next year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 06:15 AM)
I was really impressed with Noesi. It was one of the first times I got to watch him for an extended look, and it seems like everything he throws has movement.

Other things I noticed:

-Jordan Danks really does read balls well off the bat in the outfield. I have no problem with him as a 4th outfielder

-I really like Sanchez a lot. Good swing plane, approach, and a nice short swing. He's also got tree trunks for legs. Just looking at those things, I think he can be a 10-15 homer guy eventually

-Viciedo is still country strong, and I think that alone is going to get him another chance next year. He's such an enigma at the plate.

-I really liked Taylor's swing at the plate but his approach was pretty poor. Every hack was trying to hit the ball as hard as he could. Still, he reminds me a bit of someone like Craig Monroe.

-Semien looked more confident, but his timing gets off when he switches levels. I think he just needs extended playing time at the MLB level and a lot of his issues will sort themselves out. I was also impressed with his range, hands, and ability to quickly get the ball out. That throw to try and beat Schaefer was obviously not good.

I trust September numbers about as much as I trust March numbers. He's great against mediocre pitchers.