Callis with an interesting ranking of Abreu and Tanaka/rookies

caulfield12

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/93893...ogaerts-taveras

Interesting that guys 2-6 have all been pretty big disappointments so far this year, further supporting the concept of patience (and high bust rate) with young position players.

It's doubtful he's right on all those guys, especially Baez.

And, IMO, Stroman and Ventura should be ranked higher, with Tanaka lower. There's no guarantee TJ surgery leaves him with the same type of stuff in terms of velocity and movement, as he wasn't a mid 90's FB guy to begin with, he was most successful in the lower 90's. Now if he still has movement on his pitches and the 10+ speed differential, maybe he'll be fine, but I certainly wouldn't expect him to be any BETTER than he was before he went down to injury.

And while Anderson's a fine prospect, and will be a Top 50-75 guy, I think most of the board would prefer to go back and take Stroman in that spot...saving the need to trade all of our prospects for a legit 2 guy OR spend $100+ million on the free agent market class.

Steve ETR • 43 minutes ago

Does fanfare=potential? There have been a lot of callups this year that really didn't have tons of fanfare yet have incredible potential. Kennys Vargas? Danny Santana? Kevin Kiermaier? DeGrom? Matt Shoemaker?

ETR Steve • 13 minutes ago

Kind of what I am alluding to. The writer only seems to list the prospects who had high regard when drafted. Kind of picking the low hanging fruit, it's easy to pick these guys. Let's see a more challenging article from someone who has been in baseball since the 80's and pick guys like you mentioned and rate their chances of success.

Ken • 14 hours ago

No mention of Joe Panik at all? Wow.

Edited by caulfield12

Garbage piece. It's solely based on the word Potential. There is a strong chance guys like Polanco and Baez will not even be regular players.

I also disagree with Tanaka at 1, he's only 2 years younger than Abreu, and is prone to losing a year due to injury. But this piece kind of made the "Sale vs Abreu" debate we had a couple months ago lopsided, as we can agree Sale is superior to Tanaka, and has a much more friendlier contract.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 04:50 PM)
Garbage piece. It's solely based on the word Potential. There is a strong chance guys like Polanco and Baez will not even be regular players.

I also disagree with Tanaka at 1, he's only 2 years younger than Abreu, and is prone to losing a year due to injury. But this piece kind of made the "Sale vs Abreu" debate we had a couple months ago lopsided, as we can agree Sale is superior to Tanaka, and has a much more friendlier contract.

Indeed. Huge overvaluation of potential vs. present reality.