Asian Players

LDF

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 01:21 PM)
It makes no sense for Ohtani to be available to MLB teams for something like 4-5 years. Let's cross that bridge when we get there.

I always thought that to be the case, however several other

articles about him has given the little snippet. he wants to

be posted and not wait for the normal yrs or waiting.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)

His current team, whoever it is, will not want to post him. They're only going to get $20 million in posting fees, so they're going to maximize their service time with him and if he's adament about playing in the MLB, they will then post him to try and get something monetarily for him.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 11:32 PM)
Won't happen without his Nippon approving first and with the new posting system not being nearly as lucrative for the posting team as it used to be so its highly doubtful Nippon would agree. Nippon would only get 20M compared to the 51M they got for Darvish thanks to the new posting system.

Don't get me wrong, I would be all for it but Nippon would probably lose more money than they would gain from posting the kid.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 12:09 AM)
Holy cow! I just looked Ohtani up and he just turned 20 on July 5th! The kid is just getting ready to finish his 2nd season. He's not going anywhere for probably another 5 years. Nippon did not post Darvish and Tanaka til they had played for 7 seasons first.

One month later, simply rinse and repeat. ;)

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)

What it comes down to is the Nippon Ham-Fighters team owns this kids and so does the so does the NPB so that kid is going nowhere. His only chance was when he came out of HS as a FA but instead he chose to sign in Japan so Japan is where he will stay for likely the next 5 years.

Am I the only one who thinks the whole "He's pitched 1300 innings and is only 26" thing is a tad bit overrated in reference to Kenta?

Would you guys not wanna sign Clayton Kershaw because he has 83 more innings than Kenta at the same age? Madison Bumgarner is on pace to have more, would you not sign him? King Felix had 1600 at age 26.

I could probably find more, but you get my point.....Now I know the point consists of comparing Kenta Maeda to some of the games elite, but I'm not comparing their stuff or them as pitchers. Merely saying that I think the whole the fact he pitched so many innings at a young age is largely overrated.

Sign me up for Maeda if he posts. From what I've read he reminds me of his old teammate Hisashi Iwakuma, who has been pretty impressive since coming over.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)
Am I the only one who thinks the whole "He's pitched 1300 innings and is only 26" thing is a tad bit overrated in reference to Kenta?

Would you guys not wanna sign Clayton Kershaw because he has 83 more innings than Kenta at the same age? Madison Bumgarner is on pace to have more, would you not sign him? King Felix had 1600 at age 26.

I could probably find more, but you get my point.....Now I know the point consists of comparing Kenta Maeda to some of the games elite, but I'm not comparing their stuff or them as pitchers. Merely saying that I think the whole the fact he pitched so many innings at a young age is largely overrated.

Sign me up for Maeda if he posts. From what I've read he reminds me of his old teammate Hisashi Iwakuma, who has been pretty impressive since coming over.

Its the innings, age combined with being 5'11" and 154 lbs which does not scream durability. Then add in that his body would have to adjust to pitching every fifth game. IMO, a long term deal to pitcher like this is asking for disaster.

I remember how people were so disappointed the Sox missed out on Tanaka and how people breathed a sigh of relief that the Sox didn't sign him after he'd become injured.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 11:28 AM)
Its the innings, age combined with being 5'11" and 154 lbs which does not scream durability. Then add in that his body would have to adjust to pitching every fifth game. IMO, a long term deal to pitcher like this is asking for disaster.

I remember how people were so disappointed the Sox missed out on Tanaka and how people breathed a sigh of relief that the Sox didn't sign him after he'd become injured.

I think the contract that Tanaka signed made Sox fans feel better about not signing him, long before his injury did.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)
I think the contract that Tanaka signed made Sox fans feel better about not signing him, long before his injury did.

Yeah, had they signed him to my hypothesized 6/$120 with an opt out after 4, I'd still be happy even after the elbow issues. It's amazing what one more year and $35 million more will do to change your perception of the situation.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 05:46 PM)
Yeah, had they signed him to my hypothesized 6/$120 with an opt out after 4, I'd still be happy even after the elbow issues. It's amazing what one more year and $35 million more will do to change your perception of the situation.

I hate to say this, but I wouldn't be too confident that he won't have elbow

problem next yr. the risk is too much.

I hope I am wrong, surgery is not cool for players, even if it is an opposing team.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 09:18 PM)
I've read in Baseball America that he wants to come stateside

Since we don't know when he will be able to come over maybe we all need to see if he has a twitter or get the Nippon Ham Fighters address and all send him fan mail for however many years we will need to do so convincing him that the White Sox are the team to play for. Do this for a few years and he will think the SOx have the best fans ever. :P

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 12:28 PM)
Its the innings, age combined with being 5'11" and 154 lbs which does not scream durability.

That is the conventional "wisdom."

I know I've seen a lot of tall skinny guys, fat guys, all body-types with arm/elbow/shoulder problems. Has anyone ever done a legitimate study of injury history and shown smaller pitchers get injured more?

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 25, 2014 -> 01:34 AM)
That is the conventional "wisdom."

I know I've seen a lot of tall skinny guys, fat guys, all body-types with arm/elbow/shoulder problems. Has anyone ever done a legitimate study of injury history and shown smaller pitchers get injured more?

or better yet, a study on how many more injuries or surgeries for pitcher than before.