Kiley McDaniel / Fangraphs Top ChiSox Prospects

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
Engel's speed tool is better than Thompson's. Thompson though, has an above average arm (just like Engel), and significantly more power. Both struggle with contact, raw hit tools. Thompson has proven more at yoinger ages per level.

Saying the statement "couldn't be more inaccurate" is hyperbole. I'd rank Thompson higher too.

As in Wite's statement that Thompson has far better tools than Engel, which I called "couldn't be more inaccurate". As I said, they have similar tools.

One thing we are not looking at here is Engel has a stronger chance of staying in center, while Thompson has been long projected as a corner outfielder as his body matures. I think the fact that his defense has improved over the last couple of years in center has quiet down that notion, but I still believe Engel has better tools as a defender, and could offer more value in the future as a center fielder.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 12:50 PM)
Kiley McDaniel: Looking for upside when a while back they didn’t. This is what happens when it sometimes take a little longer

Comment From Guest

Trea Turner or Tim Anderson?

Kiley McDaniel: Anderson – more upside and proven at higher level, but it’s not by a landslide

Wow. That is a big endorsement.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
As in Wite's statement that Thompson has far better tools than Engel, which I called "couldn't be more inaccurate". As I said, they have similar tools.

One thing we are not looking at here is Engel has a stronger chance of staying in center, while Thompson has been long projected as a corner outfielder as his body matures. I think the fact that his defense has improved over the last couple of years in center has quiet down that notion, but I still believe Engel has better tools as a defender, and could offer more value in the future as a center fielder.

I guess maybe I'm just bigger on Thompson than I realized. He's going to be playing in AAA next year and has big time power, whereas Engel hasn't even really had a ton of success at A- ball. Maybe some of the tools are there, but I just don't see it yet.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)

I see where you are coming from, but I'd still rank Thompson higher as a prospect. Higher likelihood of more power, has shown he can perform at higher levels offensively and defensively, and frankly the extra speed of Engel by itself isn't enough to offset those things for me.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 03:33 PM)
I see where you are coming from, but I'd still rank Thompson higher as a prospect. Higher likelihood of more power, has shown he can perform at higher levels offensively and defensively, and frankly the extra speed of Engel by itself isn't enough to offset those things for me.

This part bothers me a bit because he's done a poor job, IMO, of showing that he can perform offensively at a AA level. That might have been one of the biggest disappointments I saw from my time visiting the Barons - he looked the same in 2014 as in 2013, same weaknesses.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)
This part bothers me a bit because he's done a poor job, IMO, of showing that he can perform offensively at a AA level. That might have been one of the biggest disappointments I saw from my time visiting the Barons - he looked the same in 2014 as in 2013, same weaknesses.

Oh I agree. Neither of these guys are T10 names IMO - both in the teens I think. I was being more comparative between the two.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 02:41 PM)
I think Thompson is going to end up as a 4th OF. Probably not a lot different than a right-handed version of Jordan Danks.

Most likely. And frankly I think he can do right now what Danks has done in the majors, with the possibility that Thompson could be better in the next few years.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)
Relevant: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-top-fiv...-projected-war/

With Rangel "Gordita Crunchela" Ravelo as the #1 prospect due to still being considered a 1B/3B prospect, though he's obviously not going to play 3B.

Saw that - goofy that they still listed him #1 even though he hasn't played 3B since 2012. Seems silly to me to not make the adjustment manually.

At this point, if Thompson makes it, it will likely be a deal where he's hitting pretty well in AAA - something like a 115wRC+ and gets called up due to injury. He then just hits in that limited trial and stays on.

More likely, we never see any of that and he is a role player for a few years before he gets squeezed out of the 40-man. I still love his upside, though, and he's young.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
Deed is done. Complimented the piece (because it is pretty great), asked a prospect question, then put in a "P.S." at the end about the vids.

You have a "radio name". You need a talk show. Someone give this man his own talk show.

Sanchez is part of a "cramped middle infield" picture? Suppose that's true but...i'd rather be That here over most places. He......could win an opening day MLB starting job. FA spending at 2b isnt likely b/c of the farm picture so there's a little glimmer of light here for Sanchez or Semien to claim a career and hold on tight (a la Conor)

Edited by Jose Paniagua