2015-16 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 08:44 AM)
Playoff/Bowl Projections:

Orange: Clemson vs Ohio State

Cotton: Alabama vs Stanford

Rose: Michigan State vs Utah

Sugar: Oklahoma vs LSU

Fiesta: Iowa vs Notre Dame

Peach: Oklahoma St vs Houston

Will ND stay in the top 12 if they get a second loss to Stanford?

Will ND stay in the top 12 if they get a second loss to Stanford?

Assuming that wins over Wake and BC are solid and not fluky and the loss to Stanford is not a huge blowout, yes I think two losses, both being to top 4 teams, keeps ND in a top tier bowl.

Though keep in mind that this goes purely on committee rankings. ND has to be the highest ranked available team once conference ties are filled in order to get a slot. The bowls aren't allowed to pass over a higher ranked team to pick ND based on name, and the Rose/Sugar bowls are contracted to take teams from their conferences even if their champions get in the playoff.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 11:57 AM)
Seriously. Barring beating OSU this weekend he should not even be in the conversation.

I feel like it is entirely the fear of hiring the next Beckman that is really the only reason people are pro-Cubit. While I don't have high expectations for Illinois football I certainly want to do better than a guy who was barely over .500 in the MAC and whose upside at Illinois is very limited. Give me Dino Babers who while he may have a lower floor than Cubit has a much higher ceiling (and his Bowling Green team is performing much better than any of Cubit's teams at Western Michigan), runs an exciting offense and also finally gives Illinois its first black head coach for football or men's basketball.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

Isn't it a logical option given the circumstances within the AD's office and the available coaching spots around the country? I think it'd be weird if the interim-AD gets to make the hire, and then has to hire an AD afterwards. What coach wants to walk into that position? I could see them offering him a 1 year contract.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 11:47 AM)
Isn't it a logical option given the circumstances within the AD's office and the available coaching spots around the country? I think it'd be weird if the interim-AD gets to make the hire, and then has to hire an AD afterwards. What coach wants to walk into that position? I could see them offering him a 1 year contract.

I could see them sticking with Cubit because of their situation, but no way are they incompetent enough to only give him a 1 year deal.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)
I could see them sticking with Cubit because of their situation, but no way are they incompetent enough to only give him a 1 year deal.

Why would that make them incompetent? I'm sure he'd take that deal and UI isn't stuck with another buyout if they move on. Frankly I'd rather they stick with Cubit and see how much they can get better with some key guys back next year than rush and make a dumb hire.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 12:06 PM)
Why would that make them incompetent? I'm sure he'd take that deal and UI isn't stuck with another buyout if they move on. Frankly I'd rather they stick with Cubit and see how much they can get better with some key guys back next year than rush and make a dumb hire.

"Hey, generic recruit, any chance you'd like to play for a coach next year at Illinois? It might even be me!"

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)

Michigan hired Jim Harbaugh with an interim AD last year. This decision isn't going to be made by the interim AD and I bet that they move pretty quickly on getting a new AD in place and there are people who say Shad Khan is pushing a couple of candidates already (please this be true and let him be our T. Bonne Pickens).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)

That sounds like a terrific way to torpedo recruiting.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
"Hey, generic recruit, any chance you'd like to play for a coach next year at Illinois? It might even be me!"

The guys that have signed in the last year haven't thought about that exact thing? It's not like Illinois is crushing it on the recruiting trail either...

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 12:13 PM)
Michigan hired Jim Harbaugh with an interim AD last year. This decision isn't going to be made by the interim AD and I bet that they move pretty quickly on getting a new AD in place and there are people who say Shad Khan is pushing a couple of candidates already (please this be true and let him be our T. Bonne Pickens).

Yeah that's Jim Harbaugh, not coach #12 on the availability list this year.

I mean I hope you're right that they get someone in quickly, but that's no sure thing.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 01:05 PM)
Yeah that's Jim Harbaugh, not coach #12 on the availability list this year.

I mean I hope you're right that they get someone in quickly, but that's no sure thing.

Plus he wasnt really "hired." Harbaugh wanted to coach there so he did.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 06:38 PM)
These rankings are insane. It's the year of a good lose being more valuable than a bad win. If the committee gives Stanford credit for losing an early start time, why is that game even played so early?

Just remember, they are still worthless right now. Last year's champion was ranked in the teens at this point.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 06:38 PM)
These rankings are insane. It's the year of a good lose being more valuable than a bad win. If the committee gives Stanford credit for losing an early start time, why is that game even played so early?

I find that Jeff Long's explanations confuse me more and often seem contradictory.

Like Rock said though, these rankings don't matter. Teams are gonna move up and down even if they win out. And of course there will be upsets because college football.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 07:12 PM)
If the top 4 win out, things won't change.

Most seem to think that an undefeated Big 12 champion would pass one loss Notre Dame. Although a road win at Pacific 12 champion Stanford would be huge for ND's resume.