5/4 Games

flavum

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2015 -> 01:56 PM)
Tim Anderson's inability to draw walks is kind of ridiculous. He's made huge improvements in terms of limiting his errors this year, but he's putting up slap hitter-esque numbers.

I still feel the sox rushed his development. The kid started off in Kannapolis which is very unusual for a Juco player. Never had a chance to show patience at the level.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)
0-5, 3K for Hawkins. Now has 33 in 88 at bats, to go with only 5 walks. Another thing that doesn't bode well for him in his journey to become a major leaguer is that he is horrible against LHP.

At this point, I think you keep him in AA all this year. And even if he improves over the year (which hopefully he will), he repeats it. They pushed him to far too fast to prove a point. Now it is possible he would have failed like this anyway, I don't know, but this situation set him up for failure BY DESIGN. Seems like playing chicken to me.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)
0-5, 3K for Hawkins. Now has 33 in 88 at bats, to go with only 5 walks. Another thing that doesn't bode well for him in his journey to become a major leaguer is that he is horrible against LHP.

Ha! His last K was a wild pitch, he made it to first, and just scored the walk-off winning run in the 13th.

Danish has been less ground-balley this season, but has averaged 9K per 9. Also increased his K rate going from A to A+. It's a nice bonus that he's a fifth infielder, has a terrific PO move, and is tougher to steal against than most LHP. And he has all the makeup/mental intangibles in spades.

Would like to see the GB rate back up, as well as the XBH % back down - but likely adjusting to the much tougher AA competition. Still, 5 starts with only one allowing more than 1 run isn't bad for a pup making the biggest milb leap. I think the best is yet to come.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 4, 2015 -> 10:00 PM)
Danish keeps doing it. Young for high A but more than holding his own. 2.66 BB/9 and 9.22 K/9. 3-0 with 2.63 ERA. Very small sample, but no surprise with his arm angle - he's getting hit by the lefties.

It was nice to see that he was able to get out two of the better lefty hitting prospects in all of baseball today.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 4, 2015 -> 04:00 PM)
Tim Anderson's strikeout rate is 17.6% with over 100 PAs hitting a true .300. Sure we'd like some more power/OBP but a nice start for the top prospect to be.

Jacob May has BABIP well into the .400's. Hit the breaks on the bandwagon although I do like him overall.

Danish keeps doing it. Young for high A but more than holding his own. 2.66 BB/9 and 9.22 K/9. 3-0 with 2.63 ERA. Very small sample, but no surprise with his arm angle - he's getting hit by the lefties.

I feel pretty good about May's start in this case though for a couple reasons. One, the jump to AA is a big one, compared to A/A+ jump. Two, his pattern HAD been to really struggle on promotion at first then come roaring back as the season went on. For him to OPEN hitting the ball well (and not all that can be luck, as a .400 BABIP is high but not ridiculous) is an encouraging sign.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 4, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)
Tim Anderson's strikeout rate is 17.6% with over 100 PAs hitting a true .300. Sure we'd like some more power/OBP but a nice start for the top prospect to be.

Jacob May has BABIP well into the .400's. Hit the breaks on the bandwagon although I do like him overall.

Danish keeps doing it. Young for high A AA but more than holding his own. 2.66 BB/9 and 9.22 K/9. 3-0 with 2.63 ERA. Very small sample, but no surprise with his arm angle - he's getting hit by the lefties.

This can be mitigated, hopefully, with further refinement of his change. I thought I read he was the youngest player in the Southern League.

Edit: Funny, we were both typing the same thing about improving the change, and both used the word mitigated. You're awesome, raBBit!

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

Fry and Guerrero still to come tonight. Given the state of the big club, I'm finding solace with the kids.

I saw that Larry over at SSS doesn't think much of JG, long-term, but other reports have been more encouraging. Would be nice if Brooks fX data gets expanded to milb sometime soon - would really add a lot to all of our "scouting" abilities. :)

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 4, 2015 -> 09:21 PM)
Fry and Guerrero still to come tonight. Given the state of the big club, I'm finding solace with the kids.

I saw that Larry over at SSS doesn't think much of JG, long-term, but other reports have been more encouraging. Would be nice if Brooks fX data gets expanded to milb sometime soon - would really add a lot to all of our "scouting" abilities. :)

this team has so much pitching that this yr draft has me trying to play guessing games.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 5, 2015 -> 12:26 AM)
this team has so much pitching that this yr draft has me trying to play guessing games.

Out of curiosity, why do you think this team has so much pitching? Going forward after this year, you have Sale/Q/Rodon and then a big pile of garbage (Danks) and a ton of unknowns.

Great stats and analysis on Danish! I'm really excited about him going forward, not only do I think his stuff and delivery can hold up as a starter but his bulldog mentality will keep him in the rotation. He reminds me a lot of Peavy with the unorthodox delivery, above-average stuff and great mental toughness.

Alvarez 3-3 with a 2B & 3B and 2 RBIs, looks like he doesn't have much left to prove at Kanny. If/when he gets promoted to W-S, they'll have some major speed in that line-up with Engel, Walker and Alvarez. It would be fun to catch a game or two to see all the havoc on the basepaths.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2015 -> 12:29 AM)
Out of curiosity, why do you think this team has so much pitching? Going forward after this year, you have Sale/Q/Rodon and then a big pile of garbage (Danks) and a ton of unknowns.

excellent point, i guess i was wrong in how i wrote it. let me try this, the system, the minor league system has a lot of bodies, if developed, can provide a nice surplus for the parent team.

now the parent team, it needs help. that is all i am going to say on this, right now. i think we exhausted that subject on the other thread. ;)