7/17 Games

GGajewski18

Good games from Trayce Thompson & Jason Coats in Charlotte, I've been really impressed with Coats throughout his time with us. He's never dominated a league but he's never "failed" in a league either. I know he doesn't have amazing tools but I could see him having a Jeff Conine-type ceiling.

Edited by Bruce_Blixton

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 07:50 PM)
Good games from Trayce Thompson & Jason Coats in Charlotte, I've been really impressed with Coats throughout his time with us. He's never dominated a league but he's never "failed" in a league either. I know he doesn't have amazing tools but I could see him having a Jeff Conine-type ceiling.

Jeff Conine was a stud hitter for 2-3 years. Slight exaggeration.

Edit: I should have said 12-13 years. Conine was a terrific major leaguer.

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 08:47 PM)
Jeff Conine was a stud hitter for 2-3 years. Slight exaggeration.

Really? Conine was solid but never a "stud hitter" in my mind, a great 6-7 hitter in the lineup but never able to carry a lineup in the 3-4 hole. His 162 game average slash line was .285/.347/.443/.789 and he never hit more than 26 HRs in a season (even during the steroid era). I honestly believe that Coats could put up that type of production, maybe not his rookie season but given a full season of ABs I could see him eventually putting up a similar line.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 03:01 AM)
Really? Conine was solid but never a "stud hitter" in my mind, a great 6-7 hitter in the lineup but never able to carry a lineup in the 3-4 hole. His 162 game average slash line was .285/.347/.443/.789 and he never hit more than 26 HRs in a season (even during the steroid era). I honestly believe that Coats could put up that type of production, maybe not his rookie season but given a full season of ABs I could see him eventually putting up a similar line.

Coats is a 25 year old in AAA puttimg up a .720 OPS. How can one project him to put up a .790 at the highest level? If he does, I hope someone with the White Sox reads this and hires you to scout, and I am not kidding.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 07:45 AM)
Well, Coats hit better in high A than he did in A.

He hit better in AA (2nd try) than he did in high A

In AAA he's below AA, but there's still time

He's got a touch of power.

Interesting player.

Well, let's not get carried away.

Andy Wilkins OPSed 1200+ for a 3 month stretch last season, at the same age, and also never really failing badly at any level. And he's a doubtful MLBer, at best.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)
Well, let's not get carried away.

Andy Wilkins OPSed 1200+ for a 3 month stretch last season, at the same age, and also never really failing badly at any level. And he's a doubtful MLBer, at best.

i said "Interesting"

Some late bloomers are Wilkins, and some are Donaldson

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 05:34 AM)
Coats is a 25 year old in AAA puttimg up a .720 OPS. How can one project him to put up a .790 at the highest level? If he does, I hope someone with the White Sox reads this and hires you to scout, and I am not kidding.

The reason I used the Conine comp was due to their similar path to the majors and skillset, Conine was a late round pick out of UCLA but quickly rushed through the Royals system and didn't make his pro debut until he was 26 so a bit of a late bloomer. Conine was an athletic outfielder in his prime and by all the reports I've read on Coats he has been very solid in the outfield.

I'm not saying that Coats will definitely reach this level, but if he does maximize his tools I see his ceiling is Jeff Conine, a capable defensive player with a decent bat that can play in the lower third of the batting order.

Edited by Bruce_Blixton