Ahmed: Child inventor or part of hoax?

greg775

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The thing that I do not like, aside from this specific story, is when national stories about teenagers come up, when people view the kids actions in a lens of them being psychopathic, calculated adults, and not ...this scene:

To take reports of him being evasive and sarcastic when being questioned by authority figures for doing nothing wrong and thinking that makes it likely he was put up to it vs. it makes him more human and a teenager is bizarre.

You want to know why people reached out to him? Because many saw this story and thought "aw man I remember when I was a teenager and trying things, I'd be heartbroken if that was the response". And there's nothing wrong with that.

I can't believe anyone is really surprised that the school officials over-reacted the way they did.

We hear stories all the time of kids being suspended for bringing cough drops to school, or having a plastic butter knife in their lunch bag. Or eating a god damn POP TART into the shape of a gun.

I'm pretty sure a kid could bring an actual clock into school and someone would think it's a bomb.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 08:44 AM)
I can't believe anyone is really surprised that the school officials over-reacted the way they did.

We hear stories all the time of kids being suspended for bringing cough drops to school, or having a plastic butter knife in their lunch bag. Or eating a god damn POP TART into the shape of a gun.

I'm pretty sure a kid could bring an actual clock into school and someone would think it's a bomb.

At least they are punishing in-house. I think it's a big problem that schools lean so heavily on law enforcement for discipline.

My high school changed policies in High School to arrest any students in fights. We had the highest amount of arrests in the state, I believe. Fights didn't go down, but dozens of kids were sent through the criminal justice system who otherwise didn't need to. I'm sure that improved things.

This

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 08:48 AM)
At least they are punishing in-house. I think it's a big problem that schools lean so heavily on law enforcement for discipline.

My high school changed policies in High School to arrest any students in fights. We had the highest amount of arrests in the state, I believe. Fights didn't go down, but dozens of kids were sent through the criminal justice system who otherwise didn't need to. I'm sure that improved things.

Of course the counter to that is when parents complain that the school is "handling" the problem but not doing so in a legally justifiable way. i.e., either arrest my son/daughter or don't.

End of the day this is an overreaction, but if I'm a parent of a kid in that school, f*** someone's sensibilities/white guilt about doing something seemingly racist. I'd rather they be safe than sorry. This goes for "homemade clocks," fake weapons, etc.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 07:45 AM)
Bolded - he did exactly that, repeatedly and consistently. How are people missing this?

Zero doubt in my mind he was treated poorly because of his identity. I can't say it is impossible his parents set this up, though I doubt it. Either way, the kid got screwed, and that is the key point here. I am glad it was exposed the way it was, to remind people that while we have a lot less racism and bigotry today than we did decades ago, it still very much exists.

Did you see the picture of this "clock? Its convenient that all the SJW's on here pick and choose which parts of a long post to respond to when it fits their narrative. Well I guess I will ask again. Is it possible that this clock could look like a bomb to someone untrained in explosives? If so, is it that unreasonable to be uncomfortable and take extra precautions like calling the police? Is that seriously that big of a deal? All he said when asked was that it was a clock, just one word, wouldnt elaborate when asked. It doesnt look like a clock, why couldnt he just explain that it was a clock he made or uncased or altered or anything. Even teachers at his school told him he shouldnt carry it out in the open.

Later in the day, the News reported, Mohamed's English teacher complained when the clock beeped in the middle of a lesson. When Mohamed showed her the device after class, he claims she told him, "It looks like a bomb."

He was told before this happened by a teacher that it looked like a bomb...If this kids takes 2 seconds to explain what hes carrying and why it looks the way it does none of this would have happened.

Yes, it is possible. And when that law enforcement arrived, and he told them it was a clock, and they see it's clearly a clock, they could have done the obvious thing and...

not put him in handcuffs.

Problem solved. As for everything else, if he says it looks like a bomb, that sounds an awful lot like it is not a bomb, eh?

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 09:16 AM)
Yes, it is possible. And when that law enforcement arrived, and he told them it was a clock, and they see it's clearly a clock, they could have done the obvious thing and...

Problem solved. As for everything else, if he says it looks like a bomb, that sounds an awful lot like it is not a bomb, eh?

Right, that's the part that doesn't make sense. I'm fine with the school calling the cops. I'm not so fine with the cops still deciding to arrest him IF they could easily tell it was just a clock and not a bomb, which appears to be the case.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 09:16 AM)

So youre ok with them calling the police?

Yes. To everyone in the country and the world, the reason why this is a story, and why the fault lies entirely with the administrators and police, is that upon questioning the kid and clearly seeing it is not a bomb, and exactly what the kid said it was (a clock), they arrested him.

The administrators are both adults and paid to be better.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 09:12 AM)
Did you see the picture of this "clock? Its convenient that all the SJW's on here pick and choose which parts of a long post to respond to when it fits their narrative. Well I guess I will ask again. Is it possible that this clock could look like a bomb to someone untrained in explosives? If so, is it that unreasonable to be uncomfortable and take extra precautions like calling the police? Is that seriously that big of a deal? All he said when asked was that it was a clock, just one word, wouldnt elaborate when asked. It doesnt look like a clock, why couldnt he just explain that it was a clock he made or uncased or altered or anything. Even teachers at his school told him he shouldnt carry it out in the open.

Later in the day, the News reported, Mohamed's English teacher complained when the clock beeped in the middle of a lesson. When Mohamed showed her the device after class, he claims she told him, "It looks like a bomb."

He was told before this happened by a teacher that it looked like a bomb...If this kids takes 2 seconds to explain what hes carrying and why it looks the way it does none of this would have happened.

It's not entirely unreasonable that school administration would call the police. It's completely unreasonable that the school would suspend him and the police would take him out in handcuffs.

edit: the school could also have talked to the engineering teacher he first showed it to and gotten his input on what it was, which would quickly have put this whole thing to bed. But neither the administration nor the police ever acted like this was a real threat. They didn't evacuate, they didn't get the bomb squad, they didn't remove the device from the building immediately.

Ahmed also wasn't carrying the clock in the open after he showed it to his first teacher, but the alarm went off in another class so he showed it to that teacher afterwards. That's when everything went awry.

Edited by StrangeSox

Zero-tolerance policies are terrible but can tie school administration's hands. That's not the case with the police.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 09:23 AM)
Yes. To everyone in the country and the world, the reason why this is a story, and why the fault lies entirely with the administrators and police, is that upon questioning the kid and clearly seeing it is not a bomb, and exactly what the kid said it was (a clock), they arrested him.

The administrators are both adults and paid to be better.

Im not about to sit here and defend the police but I dont think the school did anything wrong. You conveniently ignored the link and quote I posted where Ahmed himself is quoted as saying that one of his teachers told him that his clock looks like a bomb and another told him he should probably put it in his backpack. So even knowing that when other people at the school were concerned and asking him what it was why couldnt he just explain to them why it looked the way it did since you know, it didnt look like a clock...Why couldnt he just say ask teacher x who I showed it to earlier? If he could give a reasonable non one word answer when asked about something THAT ONE OF HIS TEACHERS ALREADY TOLD HIM LOOKED LIKE A BOMB it wouldnt have happened. Clearly this doesnt warrant the kid being arrested or handcuffed but it is mind blowing that people are surprised at how the school acted.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)
Im not about to sit here and defend the police but I dont think the school did anything wrong. You conveniently ignored the link and quote I posted where Ahmed himself is quoted as saying that one of his teachers told him that his clock looks like a bomb and another told him he should probably put it in his backpack. So even knowing that when other people at the school were concerned and asking him what it was why couldnt he just explain to them why it looked the way it did since you know, it didnt look like a clock...Why couldnt he just say ask teacher x who I showed it to earlier? If he could give a reasonable non one word answer when asked about something THAT ONE OF HIS TEACHERS ALREADY TOLD HIM LOOKED LIKE A BOMB it wouldnt have happened. Clearly this doesnt warrant the kid being arrested or handcuffed but it is mind blowing that people are surprised at how the school acted.

Which he did, but the alarm went off during another class so he showed it to that teacher.

The school still acted very poorly in suspending him, but they were definitely less terrible than the police who arrested him and then questioned him alone and waited two days before announcing that they weren't going to charge him.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 09:48 AM)
Which he did, but the alarm went off during another class so he showed it to that teacher.

The school still acted very poorly in suspending him, but they were definitely less terrible than the police who arrested him and then questioned him alone and waited two days before announcing that they weren't going to charge him.

Third time hopefully will be a charm. Just completely ignore that the fact that he was told by his teacher that his clock looked like a bomb.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 09:50 AM)
Third time hopefully will be a charm. Just completely ignore that the fact that he was told by his teacher that his clock looked like a bomb.

I'm not ignoring that, I'm failing to see what you think that means.

He showed it to his tech teacher

that teacher said 'cool, but maybe you should put that away'

he puts it in his backpack

it beeps during his english class

he shows it to his english teacher who says it looked like a bomb and gets admin involved

Admin calls police

------Up to this point, maybe the English teacher is overreacting but really not a story yet! Admin may have been able to handle the situation better, but just calling the police isn't really that bad.

Where does his English teacher's opinion on what it looks like become relevant or justify the administration suspending him? (let alone the police's terrible handling from start to finish)

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)
I'm not ignoring that, I'm failing to see what you think that means.

He showed it to his tech teacher

that teacher said 'cool, but maybe you should put that away'

he puts it in his backpack

it beeps during his english class

he shows it to his english teacher who says it looked like a bomb and gets admin involved

Admin calls police

------Up to this point, maybe the English teacher is overreacting but really not a story yet! Admin may have been able to handle the situation better, but just calling the police isn't really that bad.

Where does his English teacher's opinion on what it looks like become relevant or justify the administration suspending him? (let alone the police's terrible handling from start to finish)

ok, I guess were in agreement

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 08:01 PM)
Excellent post. I don't think I focus on EVERY negative out there, BTW. I'm not that defeatest.

Bomber with a nice bombshell. Good post.

You can't deny, Bomber is dominating this thread. Nice Bomber follow up post.

Greg - I think it was more me pointing out that you tend to focus on a lot of the stories the media picks up, thinking things are far worse then they actually are, because every little thing gets covered today vs. 20 years ago. I also give you mad props for having two daughters in med school (or on their way to med school). That in and of itself is awesome and while it is a testament to them, I also think it is a testament to you and your wife.

But alas, I am an optimist, I believe in good and focus on the positives. Life is too short to worry about all the negatives.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 10:32 AM)
Greg - I think it was more me pointing out that you tend to focus on a lot of the stories the media picks up, thinking things are far worse then they actually are, because every little thing gets covered today vs. 20 years ago. I also give you mad props for having two daughters in med school (or on their way to med school). That in and of itself is awesome and while it is a testament to them, I also think it is a testament to you and your wife.

But alas, I am an optimist, I believe in good and focus on the positives. Life is too short to worry about all the negatives.

That's just because of your affluent white male upbringing. Racist!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 05:22 PM)
Are you saying Greg doesnt have "faith" Gage?

I have faith but do not think this story is as cut and dried as the media portrayed it. Nobody is demanding the full story in the media. Nobody is being fair to the police/school.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/dalla...ident/72647922/