Ahmed: Child inventor or part of hoax?

greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 04:38 PM)
I want more facts but my position is the cops over-reacted in cuffing him. The facts are blurry. One report I saw said the initial teacher the kid was trying to impress told him it was a nice job but don't bring the clock around the school or people might think it's a bomb. The kid did anyway. My point is I think there's a real possibility daddy set this all up.

As far as kids and educational activities outside of school ... did you see Alpha's video of how it probably took the kid about 30 seconds to make the clock? He definitely showed no innovation in building his clock. It's rather deceptive actually and arguably worthy of detention if he was passing that clock off as something he made, not ripped off Radio Shack.

I once put a portable radio on a mop and thought it was cool when I was 11...

So yeah...kids think doing something simple might be cool, is there a problem with that?

Do you think he should have invented the new iPhone instead?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 04:41 PM)
He targets all religions. I'm Catholic and more amused than offended by his not accepting there is a God. I think he's a star in this situation. It's easy to take the "cops are bad; teachers are prejudiced" angle on this one. Bill had questions. Mark Cuban has questions. I'm very disappointed the media is not interested in flushing out a good accurate story here. If Ahmad is a fake that's not good copy; it's going after a minority copy.

I saw what Cuban had to say, all of his anecdotes as to what actually happened were second hand and he accused the kid of having his sister feed him what to say to him on his call with him. Although he did say the kid was interested and more engaged when they talked about technology.

If anything, I think Maher just had him on to feed his narrative some more.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 04:41 PM)
It's easy to take the "cops are bad; teachers are prejudiced" angle on this one.

Right, because regardless of anything else, that's true. It's easy to take because it's correct.

Bill had questions. Mark Cuban has questions.

I place zero value on either of their opinions.

I'm very disappointed the media is not interested in flushing out a good accurate story here. If Ahmad is a fake that's not good copy; it's going after a minority copy.

Ahmed brought a repurposed clock to school and insisted to everyone that it was a clock. For this, he was arrested and suspended from school. That's a good, accurate story. The media has no responsibility to go running down a bunch of rabbit holes over a whole lot of baseless speculation that his dad "put him up to this."

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 04:46 PM)
I saw what Cuban had to say, all of his anecdotes as to what actually happened were second hand and he accused the kid of having his sister feed him what to say to him on his call with him. Although he did say the kid was interested and more engaged when they talked about technology.

If anything, I think Maher just had him on to feed his narrative some more.

Why should anyone care what Mark Cuban has to say anyway?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)
I think it's a truly brilliant strategy on his family's part. I mean, think about it. Nothing bad ever happens to people of minority groups when they're in the hands of the police and I defy anyone to provide any recent examples to the contrary.

Such a freaking terrible post. This post is right up their with this whole thread.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 03:57 PM)
Then let's make a world where I can't make that remark.

You are no different then Greg. Just like Greg, you focus on every negative out their (in his case...it is violence...in your case it is race). Reality is significant progress has been made in terms of race / sexual discrimination. Is it perfect, no, but we are light-years ahead of where we were previously. Is it perfect, no, and you'll tell me how my argument about what I do doesn't matter, but if everyone treated everyone equally it would matter. I'm married to a minority and my kids are minorities and my daughter is a female and minority, so double minority. I can tell you that I will raise my kids to believe they can do anything. I will not ingrane one iota of because you are a women X or you are not white then this is going to happen. Even if it means they have to drive for more, my kids are going to be raised being role modeled by parents who are accepting and they will have that mentality.

Could someone take issue and still not give them that chance in the future, sure, but If that is the case, I want them to use it as extra motivation to work harder because they can. You can say I live in a world of lala land but that is my mindset. I'd rather people spend time thinking they can vs. they can't and why not me vs. it can't be me.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 06:44 PM)
You are no different then Greg. Just like Greg, you focus on every negative out their (in his case...it is violence...in your case it is race). Reality is significant progress has been made in terms of race / sexual discrimination. Is it perfect, no, but we are light-years ahead of where we were previously. Is it perfect, no, and you'll tell me how my argument about what I do doesn't matter, but if everyone treated everyone equally it would matter. I'm married to a minority and my kids are minorities and my daughter is a female and minority, so double minority. I can tell you that I will raise my kids to believe they can do anything. I will not ingrane one iota of because you are a women X or you are not white then this is going to happen. Even if it means they have to drive for more, my kids are going to be raised being role modeled by parents who are accepting and they will have that mentality.

Could someone take issue and still not give them that chance in the future, sure, but If that is the case, I want them to use it as extra motivation to work harder because they can. You can say I live in a world of lala land but that is my mindset. I'd rather people spend time thinking they can vs. they can't and why not me vs. it can't be me.

Great post. I wish more parents practiced this.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 07:44 PM)

We're in a thread about a case where a kid fooled around with a digital clock, added in a hologram, showed it to people at school, and wound up carried out of the school in handcuffs, and his last name was Muhammad.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 08:00 PM)
We're in a thread about a case where a kid fooled around with a digital clock, added in a hologram, showed it to people at school, and wound up carried out of the school in handcuffs, and his last name was Muhammad.

Seems more like a thread about a kid who is being manipulated by the adults in his life to create a s*** storm.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 09:04 PM)
Seems more like a thread about a kid who is being manipulated by the adults in his life to create a s*** storm.

No one made them haul him out of school in handcuffs and question him with no parents or lawyer while being unable to describe what the "larger purpose" of a clock was.

His family clearly has some media skills. Would we be better off not knowing about cases like this? Would we be better off if they happened and no one knew about them? Because the right response should not be "gosh it's a conspiracy", it's "gosh, I wonder how many different people stuff like this has happened to in cases where there wasn't someone there creating publicity". And of course, here's one case we heard about because of this one - we talk about a "school to prison pipeline" because kids do things like that and if they're the wrong group, they wind up in jail and their education is ruined. One unjust case we hear about, the arresting people get embarrassed, and the problem is that we're hearing about it?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 08:10 PM)
No one made them haul him out of school in handcuffs and question him with no parents or lawyer while being unable to describe what the "larger purpose" of a clock was.

His family clearly has some media skills. Would we be better off not knowing about cases like this? Would we be better off if they happened and no one knew about them? Because the right response should not be "gosh it's a conspiracy", it's "gosh, I wonder how many different people stuff like this has happened to in cases where there wasn't someone there creating publicity". And of course, here's one case we heard about because of this one - we talk about a "school to prison pipeline" because kids do things like that and if they're the wrong group, they wind up in jail and their education is ruined. One unjust case we hear about, the arresting people get embarrassed, and the problem is that we're hearing about it?

This isnt some profound moment in American history. This kid took a clock out of its casing and brought it to school. He was asked what he was carrying and he wouldnt give a straight answer. He couldnt say something to the police like "This is a clock I built and Im showing it to my teachers" or "This is a clock I took apart" or anything like that?

Now if you want to use this as some platform to change society go ahead. The system wasnt broken here. This was at a school and they err on the side of caution. What planet are we living on where when someone who brings something that looks like this:QY4hSmI.png

to school that the authorities or the people who work at the school(and are also responsible for the kids safety) arent allowed to ask what it is?

This kid was manipulated and coached on exactly what to do and say to get this exact reaction. He was detained for 2 hours and the charges were dropped (there wouldnt even have been charges if he was honest from the beginning) and he was released. Now hes invited to the White House, has scholarship offers from multiple schools, has go fund me's set up for him etc. Poor kid.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
I want the media looking into the possibility the kid's family had him disassemble a clock (not make his own clock), put it in a box with wires sticking out, pretend it's his own invention, act like a little jerk when questioned about it, now trying to raise money for himself over his 'mistreatment,' have the kid admit to a Dallas reporter he 'didn't want it to look like a bomb.' Why would a kid excited about his making of a clock even think about it being a bomb if he was merely excited about building a clock? I applaud Bill Maher and his panel for questioning this! Kudos to Mark Cuban as well! Please buy the White sox Mr. Cuban!

Another article on the likely hoax

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/09/21/judg...purposeful-hoax

If it's so easy to disassemble things and put them back together, I challenge you to disassemble and reassemble your computer. We will wait for your posts

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 09:24 PM)
This isnt some profound moment in American history. This kid took a clock out of its casing and brought it to school. He was asked what he was carrying and he wouldnt give a straight answer. He couldnt say something to the police like "This is a clock I built and Im showing it to my teachers" or "This is a clock I took apart" or anything like that?

Now if you want to use this as some platform to change society go ahead. The system wasnt broken here. This was at a school and they err on the side of caution. What planet are we living on where when someone who brings something that looks like this:QY4hSmI.png

to school that the authorities or the people who work at the school(and are also responsible for the kids safety) arent allowed to ask what it is?

This kid was manipulated and coached on exactly what to do and say to get this exact reaction. He was detained for 2 hours and the charges were dropped (there wouldnt even have been charges if he was honest from the beginning) and he was released. Now hes invited to the White House, has scholarship offers from multiple schools, has go fund me's set up for him etc. Poor kid.

Man there sure are a lot of unsupported assumptions in this post to excuse arresting a child for no reason.

By the way, the kid said it was a clock from the beginning. The idiots in charge clearly never thought it was a real threat, otherwise they would have called the bomb squad or evacuated the school. Even if he did so this intentionally to get a reaction, he still never presented it as anything but a clock and volunteered that information to his teacher first.

School is of course allowed to ask what a student has, but that isn't all they did. They brought him down to the office and called the police. The police them arrested him and lead him out in handcuffs. You've pretty seriously understated what actually happened here while piling on a bunch of unfounded nonsense to somehow make the school and polices incompetence the fault of the kid that was arrested for no reason.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 12:44 AM)

Excellent post. I don't think I focus on EVERY negative out there, BTW. I'm not that defeatest.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 02:04 AM)

Bomber with a nice bombshell. Good post.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 03:24 AM)

You can't deny, Bomber is dominating this thread. Nice Bomber follow up post.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 09:53 PM)
Compelling, well reasoned argument. You've clearly demonstrated your case and shown beyond a doubt that this was all some plot by his father to provoke school administration and local police from overreacting and making national fools of themselves.

If the kid would have explained what he was carrying to the school and the police when asked none of it would have happened. Is that seriously that hard for you to comprehend? Are you denying that the kids clock could look like a bomb to someone who isnt trained in explosives? There are hundreds of children in this school, is it so absurd that all of these "fools" were concerned with something they felt resembled a bomb? Can you at least acknowledge that the fact that this was in a school makes it a different situation? This wasnt at a mall or something, it was at a school, where they now have metal detectors and conduct school shooting scenarios. What do you expect them to do when they think someone might have a bomb?

Also, the police have stated that all the kid would tell them about what he had was that it was a clock. If you have the internet youll know that this kid hasnt stfu about his clock for days, so why when hes being asked by either faculty at the school or the police what hes carrying can he only say its a clock? Im not even sure where the faux outrage is coming from on this one. Are you implying that they only thought it was a bomb because the kid is muslim? Do you not think police have the right to err on the side of caution in a situation like this? Wouldnt you want your kids to go to a school that takes a better safe than sorry approach to things like bombs?

Please excuse me for asking a lot of questions I just find this faux outrage stuff fascinating.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 04:15 AM)
If the kid would have explained what he was carrying to the school and the police when asked none of it would have happened. Is that seriously that hard for you to comprehend? Are you denying that the kids clock could look like a bomb to someone who isnt trained in explosives? There are hundreds of children in this school, is it so absurd that all of these "fools" were concerned with something they felt resembled a bomb? Can you at least acknowledge that the fact that this was in a school makes it a different situation? This wasnt at a mall or something, it was at a school, where they now have metal detectors and conduct school shooting scenarios. What do you expect them to do when they think someone might have a bomb?

Also, the police have stated that all the kid would tell them about what he had was that it was a clock. If you have the internet youll know that this kid hasnt stfu about his clock for days, so why when hes being asked by either faculty at the school or the police what hes carrying can he only say its a clock? Im not even sure where the faux outrage is coming from on this one. Are you implying that they only thought it was a bomb because the kid is muslim? Do you not think police have the right to err on the side of caution in a situation like this? Wouldnt you want your kids to go to a school that takes a better safe than sorry approach to things like bombs?

Please excuse me for asking a lot of questions I just find this faux outrage stuff fascinating.

http://www.infowars.com/video-man-debunks-...-in-20-seconds/

I agree. This was a story whose outcome was pre-determined by the media. They group these stories in cliches and this one to them was cut and dried: Genius student proud of his clock scares the big bad adults, is grossly mistreated by these adults and now he must be given 25 minutes of fame by gawd. One problem. Not that simple for many of the reasons Bomber stated. The Bomber is my thread hero BTW.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 10:15 PM)

Bolded - he did exactly that, repeatedly and consistently. How are people missing this?

Zero doubt in my mind he was treated poorly because of his identity. I can't say it is impossible his parents set this up, though I doubt it. Either way, the kid got screwed, and that is the key point here. I am glad it was exposed the way it was, to remind people that while we have a lot less racism and bigotry today than we did decades ago, it still very much exists.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 10:52 PM)
http://www.infowars.com/video-man-debunks-...-in-20-seconds/

I agree. This was a story whose outcome was pre-determined by the media. They group these stories in cliches and this one to them was cut and dried: Genius student proud of his clock scares the big bad adults, is grossly mistreated by these adults and now he must be given 25 minutes of fame by gawd. One problem. Not that simple for many of the reasons Bomber stated. The Bomber is my thread hero BTW.

infowars. huh, must be true