Not stopping at a stop sign? Really police?

greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 02:05 AM)
I said right away in the thread I was guilty. I'm just saying any reasonable cop woulda let me off.

Well, with the USA being as "unsafe as it is today", that cop was just doing his part in making it safer. ;)

IN THESE PARTS WE CALL THAT BEING OWNED.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 09:49 PM)
True, but cmon. 1 a.m.? Not drunk? Side street? No pity for Greg?

Sorry Greg, no pity. As I said, I've had numerous tickets such as speeding, wreckless driving and was caught drag racing twice on the street. I never argued with the cop because I knew I was in the wrong, just accepted that it was my fault. I know rolling stops are kind of petty but it can lead to developing a bad habit to where you roll through all stop signs and that's a bad thing in residential areas at any time of day or night. Another thing is and I mean this with no disrespect, its pretty bad that you rolled through the stop sign in front of the cop. It tells the cop you weren't paying attention to your surroundings. Just stop at the signs my man.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 02:17 PM)
You have clearly demonstrated that you feel wronged, and it seems to me like if we would have let you off you would probably do it again.

Now, I bet you stop and wait 3 seconds at every stop sign you go through

Yeah but I said I was guilty. I think he shoulda let me off, though.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 03:22 PM)
Well, with the USA being as "unsafe as it is today", that cop was just doing his part in making it safer. ;)

IN THESE PARTS WE CALL THAT BEING OWNED.

Yeah but once he saw I had no gun and hadn't been drinking he shoulda let me off with a stern warning.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 05:50 PM)
Sorry Greg, no pity. As I said, I've had numerous tickets such as speeding, wreckless driving and was caught drag racing twice on the street. I never argued with the cop because I knew I was in the wrong, just accepted that it was my fault. I know rolling stops are kind of petty but it can lead to developing a bad habit to where you roll through all stop signs and that's a bad thing in residential areas at any time of day or night. Another thing is and I mean this with no disrespect, its pretty bad that you rolled through the stop sign in front of the cop. It tells the cop you weren't paying attention to your surroundings. Just stop at the signs my man.

I didn't argue either. Didn't help. I was too polite.

greg,

i let this go for as long as i can. i wanted to put my 2. cents in. if that is worth it.

you are guilty, there is no if, and or but, and you even agreed to it. whether the officer felt that he wanted to or not, let you go, it is his prerogative. however in the scope of jurisprudence, it is a law...

whether that definitions of that particular law is a good one, that is not the point nor should it be open for debate. it is the law.

a cop who sees no color, no gender or favoritism is the best kind of person and even a better cop.

Just think of it like a teacher. If you let students show up tardy, don't take away their cell phones and never hold them responsible for doing homework, then the whole system falls apart as they realize there are no consequences or will to enforce them...the threat of tickets is what keeps the system in balance.

If the majority of people believed they could get out of tickets the majority of the time, you'd see the overall standards of driving fall precipitously.

Or if the class leader who is a pretty and popular girl can get away with everything but others are held to stricter standards...you'll see a similar erosion of respect for the system.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 07:37 PM)
greg,

i let this go for as long as i can. i wanted to put my 2. cents in. if that is worth it.

you are guilty, there is no if, and or but, and you even agreed to it. whether the officer felt that he wanted to or not, let you go, it is his prerogative. however in the scope of jurisprudence, it is a law...

whether that definitions of that particular law is a good one, that is not the point nor should it be open for debate. it is the law.

a cop who sees no color, no gender or favoritism is the best kind of person and even a better cop.

Thanks for the reasonable, intellectual response.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 03:26 AM)
Just think of it like a teacher. If you let students show up tardy, don't take away their cell phones and never hold them responsible for doing homework, then the whole system falls apart as they realize there are no consequences or will to enforce them...the threat of tickets is what keeps the system in balance.

If the majority of people believed they could get out of tickets the majority of the time, you'd see the overall standards of driving fall precipitously.

Or if the class leader who is a pretty and popular girl can get away with everything but others are held to stricter standards...you'll see a similar erosion of respect for the system.

Thanks for the reasonable, intellectual response.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2015 -> 12:23 AM)
since I stop fully and pause a full three seconds at stop signs now.

If this was the result of giving you a ticket rather than a warning, then the cop just made the streets safer. There is now one less driver out there doing rolling stops.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 02:09 PM)
I didn't argue either. Didn't help. I was too polite.

Not supposed to argue and you should be polite. It's was you that broke the law, not the cop. It was you that made the cop do the job he is paid to do so just accept responsibility for your actions. It's only a misdemeanor and won't go on your record as long as you have no prior moving violations and don't get caught doing it again. Think about it Greg,is it really that difficult to just stop at a stop sign?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 02:39 PM)
Not supposed to argue and you should be polite. It's was you that broke the law, not the cop. It was you that made the cop do the job he is paid to do so just accept responsibility for your actions. It's only a misdemeanor and won't go on your record as long as you have no prior moving violations and don't get caught doing it again. Think about it Greg,is it really that difficult to just stop at a stop sign?

Like I said, it's kind of scary because 90 percent of people don't come to a complete stop. I was just out and about and again, people appeared mad at me for taking so long at the stop signs. Somebody coming up right behind you is scary cause they appear to be very close to banging into the bumper.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 01:09 PM)
Like I said, it's kind of scary because 90 percent of people don't come to a complete stop. I was just out and about and again, people appeared mad at me for taking so long at the stop signs. Somebody coming up right behind you is scary cause they appear to be very close to banging into the bumper.

Now you're really stretching Greg, one excuse after another. Those people don't write the laws do they? If those people were lined up to jump off a bridge would you follow? :lol:

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 01:09 PM)

I have never noticed this and I come to a complete stop, always.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 01:49 AM)
I have never noticed that either. Maybe it's just that this is the first time you've stopped at a stop sign and are noticing what happens when cars decelerate?

I've been making a point to look at the other drivers since our roads have a lotta stop signs and I'm tellin u, they appear flustered n miffed that I'm stopping completely.

As far as the other posts, remember I am admitting guilt. I am guilty. I just figured at 1 a.m. with a nice record of no tickets the past year or two I'd deserve a little warning. I'm sort of accusing the cop of wanting to raise $140 for city coffers and get a pat on the back for obtaining such money for the city, cause I think that's true.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 04:43 AM)
I've been making a point to look at the other drivers since our roads have a lotta stop signs and I'm tellin u, they appear flustered n miffed that I'm stopping completely.

As far as the other posts, remember I am admitting guilt. I am guilty. I just figured at 1 a.m. with a nice record of no tickets the past year or two I'd deserve a little warning. I'm sort of accusing the cop of wanting to raise $140 for city coffers and get a pat on the back for obtaining such money for the city, cause I think that's true.

it happens, in my community there is a unwritten rule for the cops to use 1 book of tickets every 2 weeks.

now imagine, the police, sheriff and state police. we have all 3 patrolling in our community.

but again it goes back to, what can you do, it is the law. you are wasting too much effort to see how the other drivers are reacting. keep it simple.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 10:43 PM)

You keep saying 1 AM. Everyone knows that is the WORST time to break a law. A cop is going to pull you over 100% of the time he sees ou breaking a law then. Once he does its a toss up to whether or not you get a ticket. You're clearly in the wrong. Quit whining and pay the ticket.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)
You keep saying 1 AM. Everyone knows that is the WORST time to break a law. A cop is going to pull you over 100% of the time he sees ou breaking a law then. Once he does its a toss up to whether or not you get a ticket. You're clearly in the wrong. Quit whining and pay the ticket.

I paid it within 24 hours of the time I got it. I am not an anarchist or somebody who wants to get thrown in jail. I just feel it's lousy a guy who supports building them a new police station and has few tickets throughout history can't get a break on a stop sign violation for gosh sakes. it's almost laughable how polite I was getting nailed for that when I stopped but didn't completely stop.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 10:43 PM)
. I'm sort of accusing the cop of wanting to raise $140 for city coffers and get a pat on the back for obtaining such money for the city, cause I think that's true.

And you nicely offered an opportunity by breaking the law.

But lost in all this, I do agree if anyone deserved a break, it was you. But you didn't get one. And for the $140 we were able to forget the crappy baseball season and discuss your ticket. I think the city and soxtalk.com won. Sorry, but you lost.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 14, 2015 -> 01:01 AM)
And you nicely offered an opportunity by breaking the law.

But lost in all this, I do agree if anyone deserved a break, it was you. But you didn't get one. And for the $140 we were able to forget the crappy baseball season and discuss your ticket. I think the city and soxtalk.com won. Sorry, but you lost.

For some reason that made me laugh.

I'm glad I have some money saved (knock on wood). My second pet peeve hit today. So I get a bill for 120 bucks for my eye doctor. I have one eye exam the last 3 years, yes my prescription changes, and apparently my work's insurance company isn't paying. This country is f***ed up, folks. If it's not Blue Cross, it's a s*** company. I mean WTF. I'm supposed to get one free eye checkup per year. Obviously the insurance company rejected the eye doctor's fee if I got this bill. I am sick about America.

I would say working as an insurance company claimsperson now is probably the worst white collar job in America. I just know those people are under pressure to REJECT parts or all parts of claims. What a joke. You can't even get an eye exam on there in a three-year span. What if I had glaucoma? I guess I'd have to pay for that as well.

Edited by greg775

Now I've seen everything. I was just driving and actually approached that same intersection. So I'm getting ready to stop and another guy in another car at the 4 way stop starts waving me through BEFORE I even stopped. So I had to finish pulling up to the stop sign, stopping, counting 3 seconds then driving through all after he waved me through. He looked PISSED. So folks, Americans basically do not make complete stops at stop lights and I got hosed. I mean I'd venture to say 60 percent of people sort of stop, 40 percent "might" come to complete stops.

I laughed as the guy waved me through knowing I still had a LOT of driving work to do before I could procede.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 14, 2015 -> 03:54 PM)
Now I've seen everything. I was just driving and actually approached that same intersection. So I'm getting ready to stop and another guy in another car at the 4 way stop starts waving me through BEFORE I even stopped. So I had to finish pulling up to the stop sign, stopping, counting 3 seconds then driving through all after he waved me through. He looked PISSED. So folks, Americans basically do not make complete stops at stop lights and I got hosed. I mean I'd venture to say 60 percent of people sort of stop, 40 percent "might" come to complete stops.

I laughed as the guy waved me through knowing I still had a LOT of driving work to do before I could procede.

You better just lock yourself up in your home and close all the blinds and curtains. The outside world is obviously way too dangerous of a place for you.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 14, 2015 -> 09:57 PM)
You better just lock yourself up in your home and close all the blinds and curtains. The outside world is obviously way too dangerous of a place for you.

How do you explain what I just witnessed/experienced?

Most workers in America can only dream of eye and dental insurance.

Luckily, as a teacher we had both, but of course now teachers' unions are also under fire for fighting for benefits for their workers so that eventually will be cut out as well.

Just have a baby in China. As long as you are married, it only costs about $500-1000. Of course, you have to marry a Chinese woman. If you aren't married, the woman or couple bear all the costs...even for future pre K - 12 education, since the child doesn't exist technically and can't attend a government school. Hence, the only single moms are rich celebrities.

Edited by caulfield12