Whats the beef...here's mine

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 10:16 PM)
A counterpoint to my preference for an all defense team is that we largely had a defensively enhanced team from july 31st onward and the team was still terrible and it was samardjizas worst stretch.

That's cause we couldn't put fielders in the outfield bleachers

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 09:03 PM)
I think defensively, what they do is going to be dictated by what kind of bat they can bring in. If they bring in Upton, that could mean Avi gone, LaRoche gone, Melky LF/DH, Trayce RF. we just don't know. As you pointed out, They did address the defense about as much as they could during the season, so I really don't think they now find it unimportant.

They don't need spectacular defenders everywhere. Just make the plays you are supposed to make, and with the Sox pitchers, that should be fine. You can't win when you don't score, hence even when Saladino or Beckham was at 3B, Alexei awoke from hibernation at SS, Sanchez took over for Micah at 2B, and Trayce was in the outfield, they were a pretty good defensive team but still didn't win more games.

I will say one of the most fun White Sox teams ever was the 1977 Southside Hitmen, and they were about as awful of fielding team as could be. But they mashed, coming off a year where they couldn't hit at all.

while this is a good point, this whole improvement on defense and players who are conscious of the word, that chg will not happen overnite nor in one or two season.

i think there will be a subtle chg in the way they will look at players who can play responsible defense and good offense.

This thread is exactly why I've been beating the Heyward drum. My biggest concern with the franchise is that they've paid no mind to defense forever. Heyward fits the model of a young core piece they could continue building around, he plays a position of dire need, plays elite defense, and has a very solid bat. It just won't happen because the Sox are too stubborn to pay that price. This pitching staff is elite right now. With a top half to top 10 defense, they could be scary good. The bats will come. Defense and pitching travels.