2016 Republican Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
How the f*** do you take that out of context?

By not actually providing it with context. He was asked about if there was a hypothetical law in place, one that he may not have even put in place, would people be punished for breaking it. The tweet was made to sound like he's just going to start rounding up women and throwing them in jail without any process to it. But that's what 140 character news does. The article posted on the previous page does a better job.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another one, btw:

CNN Breaking News ‏@cnnbrk 23m23 minutes ago

.@realDonaldTrump: Women who have abortions should face "some form of punishment." http://cnn.it/1M0Zzkh

The headline is also bad ("Trump: Women who have abortions should be punished"). It's not until the end of the first paragraph that you read "if it's outlawed."

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 09:02 PM)
By not actually providing it with context. He was asked about if there was a hypothetical law in place, one that he may not have even put in place, would people be punished for breaking it. The tweet was made to sound like he's just going to start rounding up women and throwing them in jail without any process to it. But that's what 140 character news does. The article posted on the previous page does a better job.

Trump opposes the Roe vs Wade decision and wants abortion to be illegal (minus rape/incest/life of mother). Matthews asked him if it being illegal would carry punishments for the woman. He said yes.

The tweet wasn't even remotely out of context.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 03:18 PM)
Trump opposes the Roe vs Wade decision and wants abortion to be illegal (minus rape/incest/life of mother). Matthews asked him if it being illegal would carry punishments for the woman. He said yes.

The tweet wasn't even remotely out of context.

You just provided the context the tweet didn't provide, ha.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 09:17 PM)
Here's another one, btw:

The headline is also bad ("Trump: Women who have abortions should be punished"). It's not until the end of the first paragraph that you read "if it's outlawed."

...which is the position he advocates.

HEY YOU PUT MY OPINION IN THE CONTEXT OF MY OPINIONS - WAY OUT OF LINE

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 09:19 PM)
You just provided the context the tweet didn't provide, ha.

When you declare a statement to be "out of context", you're indicating that the statement is misleading, because it's meaning would change if readers were given more information. That's not the case here.

I'm confused by all this outrage on the abortion answer. Trump, just like most other republicans, wants abortion to be illegal. If it is illegal, doesn't that imply there would be a punishment for not following the law?

In this version of the US where abortion is illegal, you'd be better off punishing the practitioners of abortions rather than the women desperate enough to seek them.

I hate Trump. I'm pro-choice. But I have to ask, is there one person whose mind this quote changes?

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 03:47 PM)
In this version of the US where abortion is illegal, you'd be better off punishing the practitioners of abortions rather than the women desperate enough to seek them.

I hate Trump. I'm pro-choice. But I have to ask, is there one person whose mind this quote changes?

It could give him more votes from people who support other GOP candidates but won't say things like that.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
...which is the position he advocates.

HEY YOU PUT MY OPINION IN THE CONTEXT OF MY OPINIONS - WAY OUT OF LINE

He may, but not based on the quote/answer he was giving at that particular time, which is lazy journalism.

I'm pro-life. I think women who get abortions (by choice) beyond the first 6-8 weeks are awful people. I too would like to see them jailed if it were outlawed. But because abortions up to 22-23 weeks are allowed, i'm not advocating we jail people for it (up to that point, anyway).

Do we know for a fact Trump doesn't have the same position? If so, those tweets are out of context.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 09:55 PM)
He may, but not based on the quote/answer he was giving at that particular time, which is lazy journalism.

I'm pro-life. I think women who get abortions (by choice) beyond the first 6-8 weeks are awful people. I too would like to see them jailed if it were outlawed. But because abortions up to 22-23 weeks are allowed, i'm not advocating we jail people for it (up to that point, anyway).

Do we know for a fact Trump doesn't have the same position? If so, those tweets are out of context.

He explicitly said "you have to ban it." That after previously having expressed his opposition to Roe vs Wade and saying he only wants exceptions made for rape/incest/medical reasons.

The "position" you outlined is just silly. You don't want women jailed under non-existent laws? Uh, no kidding. All you're saying is that you support the rule of law. The important thing is *what you want the law to be* regarding abortion. And both you and Trump want it to include women being punished for having abortions. And most people (including a lot in the pro-life community) think that's awful. Hence the backlash.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 04:09 PM)
He explicitly said "you have to ban it." That after previously having expressed his opposition to Roe vs Wade and saying he only wants exceptions made for rape/incest/medical reasons.

The "position" you outlined is just silly. You don't want women jailed under non-existent laws? Uh, no kidding. All you're saying is that you support the rule of law. The important thing is *what you want the law to be* regarding abortion. And both you and Trump want it to include women being punished for having abortions. And most people (including a lot in the pro-life community) think that's awful. Hence the backlash.

Those are still two different positions that you're not articulating in 140 character tweets. They make it seem like, right now, before anything is outlawed, Trump wants to round up women who get abortions and put them in jail. The implication being he does not support the rule of law. How do you not see that as being out of context with what he said?

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 09:18 PM)
Those are still two different positions that you're not articulating in 140 character tweets. They make it seem like, right now, before anything is outlawed, Trump wants to round up women who get abortions and put them in jail. The implication being he does not support the rule of law. How do you not see that as being out of context with what he said?

Here's the tweet:

re: abortion

TRUMP: The answer is there has to be some form of punishment.

CHRIS MATTHEWS: For the woman?

TRUMP: Yes

All it indicates is that Trump favors punishments for women who get abortions. There's absolutely nothing in there about an illegal vigilante-like roundup of women. He's a presidential candidate who is giving his opinions on how he wants the law to work.

Imagine the town hall conversation was this:

Matthews: "If Congress passed a repeal bill for Obamacare, would you sign it?"

Trump: "Yes, I want to end Obamacare."

Tapper tweets: "Trump says he wants to end Obamacare"

Would that be out of context? Is Donald Trump SO INSANE that Tapper really needs to specify that Trump's position on ending Obamacare is related to the actual legal process of repealing a law and not, say, Trump wanting to become a dictator who disbands Congress and repeals Obamacare by personal fiat? Is he SO INSANE that anyone sincerely saw Tapper's abortion tweet and thought Trump was advocating that women be rounded up and thrown in jail under non-existent laws? (And by who, anyway? secret police?)

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 10:37 PM)
Trumps position on abortion is garbage but it's the standard conservative position.

The standard conservative position is that doctors should be punished; not women.

That being said, Trump just released a statement taking exactly that position. That was a very quick flip-flop.

Trumps position on abortion is garbage but it's the standard conservative position.

No, no it isn't. It may become that now that he's said it, but it's never been the position of anybody except the very extreme fringe.

This could be the last straw for independent voters who are desperate for a reason to vote against Hillary.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 04:49 PM)
Here's the tweet:

re: abortion

TRUMP: The answer is there has to be some form of punishment.

CHRIS MATTHEWS: For the woman?

TRUMP: Yes

All it indicates is that Trump favors punishments for women who get abortions. There's absolutely nothing in there about an illegal vigilante-like roundup of women. He's a presidential candidate who is giving his opinions on how he wants the law to work.

Imagine the town hall conversation was this:

Matthews: "If Congress passed a repeal bill for Obamacare, would you sign it?"

Trump: "Yes, I want to end Obamacare."

Tapper tweets: "Trump says he wants to end Obamacare"

Would that be out of context? Is Donald Trump SO INSANE that Tapper really needs to specify that Trump's position on ending Obamacare is related to the actual legal process of repealing a law and not, say, Trump wanting to become a dictator who disbands Congress and repeals Obamacare by personal fiat? Is he SO INSANE that anyone sincerely saw Tapper's abortion tweet and thought Trump was advocating that women be rounded up and thrown in jail under non-existent laws? (And by who, anyway? secret police?)

Yes, of course people think that Trump wants to punish women who get abortions, regardless of the law. Hence why he had to back track with a statement yesterday. The whole discussion was premised on the fact that abortion gets outlawed and that women would therefore be doing something illegal. I'm not sure how ignoring that isn't a huge, huge problem.

Nor do I understand why it's a "garbage" position. If an act is illegal and you commit the act, why shouldn't you be held accountable? Drugs are illegal. We arrest people who use and possess drugs. We don't ignore the low level user and focus only on drug dealers. Driving while drunk is illegal. We don't ignore the driver and charge the person supplying the alcohol.

If you take part in an illegal activity, guess what, you should be charged. You're a criminal.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 09:37 AM)
Yes, of course people think that Trump wants to punish women who get abortions, regardless of the law. Hence why he had to back track with a statement yesterday. The whole discussion was premised on the fact that abortion gets outlawed and that women would therefore be doing something illegal. I'm not sure how ignoring that isn't a huge, huge problem.

Nor do I understand why it's a "garbage" position. If an act is illegal and you commit the act, why shouldn't you be held accountable? Drugs are illegal. We arrest people who use and possess drugs. We don't ignore the low level user and focus only on drug dealers. Driving while drunk is illegal. We don't ignore the driver and charge the person supplying the alcohol.

If you take part in an illegal activity, guess what, you should be charged. You're a criminal.

Right, Trump's just following that position through to it's logical conclusion. But a lot of pro-life groups try to carve out a position where abortion is illegal, but only doctors who perform abortions would be punished, not the women. It doesn't really make a lot of sense as you point out, but they realize that advocating punishing women is probably unworkable politically.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 09:37 AM)

The key point you are missing is that he wants abortions to be illegal, which very directly means that he wants to punish women for having abortions.