2016 Republican Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 03:06 PM)
If Kasich gets the nomination despite being in a distant third in delegates than there will likely be a lot of republicans staying home on election day. Unless Trump runs as an independent in which case Hillary will win in a landslide. I just dont see enough support for Kasich unless for some reason Bernies supporters all jumped on board to spite Hillary.

I chose not to vote in the Illinois primary because I cant stand any of the republican candidates, but if the GOP establishment takes the nomination out of the hands of the primary voters Ill probably never vote for a republican again unless there are major changes in the party.

That wasn't the theory behind these polls. Also, I find Trump a "disgusting" human being. Things like his tweet about Ted Cruz' wife are pathetic and take our country backwards not forwards. Is there anything about how he treats people that anyone would want to have there son or daughter exhibit? I certainly don't and during the last six months, I can't even fathom how many kids are watching Trump succeed treating people the way he has and thinking and succeeding from it and thinking, this is how I should do things. When the person running for president can't be someone your kids would look up to, they shouldn't be running for president, let alone be a front-runner. And yes, in my opinion, that statement also relates to Hillary but far less so than it relates to Trump.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/images-worth...-063350172.html

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 05:20 PM)
That wasn't the theory behind these polls. Also, I find Trump a "disgusting" human being. Things like his tweet about Ted Cruz' wife are pathetic and take our country backwards not forwards. Is there anything about how he treats people that anyone would want to have there son or daughter exhibit? I certainly don't. When the person running for president can't be someone your kids would look up to, they shouldn't be running for president, let alone be a front-runner. And yes, in my opinion, that statement also relates to Hillary but far less so than it relates to Trump.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/images-worth...-063350172.html

I wasnt defending Trump, I actually said I cant stand him and wouldnt vote for him. I just dont think its right for the republicans to pick whatever candidate they want if the votes say otherwise.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)
I wasnt defending Trump, I actually said I cant stand him and wouldnt vote for him. I just dont think its right for the republicans to pick whatever candidate they want if the votes say otherwise.

Oh my tangent on Trump wasn't me pointing out to you, but I've never been so vocal against a candidate in my life and I don't mind standing from the trees and saying it. I do agree with you that if you apply the logic that for Kasich to actually be in the race it means a lot of people would be pissed off, I still think most of those people ultimately vote for Clinton, unless Trump runs as an independent candidate.

[Green]But seriously, I can't wait till Trump gets serious on attacking Hillary and posts pictures of her or talks about her yelling and anything else that has absolutely nothing to do with why she would / would not be a good candidate[/green].

It sickens me that so many people will tolerate actions that are completely deplorable and against everything that I stand for in terms of just treating people with respect (pretty basic principles and just a generally good moral code to live by). Is everyone just going to throw the good old fashion values and the principles of the golden rule out of the way or are there just so many pent up racists out there or people who are just going to look past these things for reasons I can't even fathom. Yes, I personally find it sickening that anyone would stand to vote for Trump. Sickening.

Yes in 2016, we really should have a potential president who berates women and wants to send the women's right movement back to the stoneage. A person who treats no one with proper respect and a person who took advantage of every rule in the books to get what he wanted, etc. And I'm not even touching immigration issues, which I think are less black and white than how he's treated women, the media and other candidates thus far in his campaign.

A part of me is very interested to see how ugly a Hillary vs Trump election would get. But then when you realize one of them is/will end up being the president its a lot less fun. Its pretty frustrating that these are the front runners to be president and that we dont have a better option.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
Also, Ted Cruz trying to be a martyr is cute. It was all fun and games when his super pac was posting a nude picture of Trumps wife.

Stupid too...I can't stand Cruz either. Evidently I'm not a republican and given the most recent RAND poll, its becoming more evident that my values no longer are consistent with the party. That parties priorities are not fiscal policy anymore, they are backwards ass social issues and religious issues. Just as the democrats pander to certain demographics (unions, etc) the republicans have gone bat s*** pandering to other demographics (religious right). Here I am who, mr millenial, socially liberal, actually open to things like health care, etc (and no I'm not anti religion, but I don't see how gay marriages hurt anyone and how anyone could lose sleep because they had to "marry a gay" or "bake a cake for a gay"), but who is fiscally conservative.

If one thing can come out of this process, maybe we'll truly end with a third party, which can at least get some candidates who fit into my group, otherwise I'm going to have a hard time voting and end up in a fully independent trench never getting any legislation that I think is meaningful done and we'll spend the next 30 years going through era's with obamacare type policies coming in and than era's where everything done during that wave is repealed only to go back in full swing.

Hello...can people get over the high hump and bring back some common decency and work together on goals that overall align with this country that the majority of the people vote for, vs. making everything and anything partisan? Please...pretty please?

I digress though, a vote for Trump is a vote for everything that would make America awful. Its a vote for going back to the "good ole days" and I say that as sarcastically as possible.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)
A part of me is very interested to see how ugly a Hillary vs Trump election would get. But then when you realize one of them is/will end up being the president its a lot less fun. Its pretty frustrating that these are the front runners to be president and that we dont have a better option.

Honestly, a good third party candidate could legitimately win the white house in a general election (I think).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 05:35 PM)
Stupid too...I can't stand Cruz either. Evidently I'm not a republican and given the most recent RAND poll, its becoming more evident that my values no longer are consistent with the party. That parties priorities are not fiscal policy anymore, they are backwards ass social issues and religious issues. Just as the democrats pander to certain demographics (unions, etc) the republicans have gone bat s*** pandering to other demographics (religious right). Here I am who, mr millenial, socially liberal, actually open to thinks like health care, etc (and no I'm not anti religion, but I don't see how gay marriages hurt anyone and how anyone could lose sleep because they had to "marry a gay" or "bake a cake for a gay"), but who is fiscally conservative.

If one thing can come out of this process, maybe we'll truly end with a third party, which can at least get some candidates who fit into my group, otherwise I'm going to have a hard time voting and end up in a fully independent trench never getting any legislation that I think is meaningful done and we'll spend the next 30 years going through era's with obamacae type policies coming in and than era's where everything done during that wave is repealed only to go back in full swing.

Hello...can people get over the high hump and bring back some common decency and work together on goals that overall aliane with this country that the majority of the people vote for, vs. making everything and anything partisan? Please...pretty please?

I digress though, a vote for Trump is a vote for everything that would make America awful. Its a vote for going back to the "good ole days" and I say that as sarcastically as possible.

Ya its a depressing time for a large sect of republicans. I also consider myself very socially liberal but we wont have a socially liberal republican candidate anytime soon because we can see what the GOP establishment does when they dont agree with a candidate. Unless there is some overhaul in campaign finance its likely to remain like this.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 03:40 PM)
Ya its a depressing time for a large sect of republicans. I also consider myself very socially liberal but we wont have a socially liberal republican candidate anytime soon because we can see what the GOP establishment does when they dont agree with a candidate. Unless there is some overhaul in campaign finance its likely to remain like this.

Biggest thing that needs to be fixed in the entire system is campaign finance reform.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 03:40 PM)

Especially not when the south and heavy religious states tend to drive the early primaries and thus the early momentum. I realize my social liberal approach will probably not be the republican parties approach for another 10 or 15 years (as I have to think anyone that is young and eventually converts over to the republican party as they age would have similarly more liberal positions on social issues), but it really is time for a third party. It wasn't that long ago that I felt most of my values relatively aligned with the republican party (and than Bush Jr decided he wanted to go spend crazy).

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 03:14 PM)
New FOX News poll out today. In hypothetical November matchups, Kasich beats Clinton 51-40, Cruz beats Clinton 47-44, Clinton beats Trump 49-38.

All the Trump voters just handing the election right over to Hillary.

Yeah, I'm not sure I believe that one.

If Kasich gets the nomination despite being in a distant third in delegates than there will likely be a lot of republicans staying home on election day. Unless Trump runs as an independent in which case Hillary will win in a landslide. I just dont see enough support for Kasich unless for some reason Bernies supporters all jumped on board to spite Hillary.

I chose not to vote in the Illinois primary because I cant stand any of the republican candidates, but if the GOP establishment takes the nomination out of the hands of the primary voters Ill probably never vote for a republican again unless there are major changes in the party.

If Kasich gets the nomination, it's because at least one of Trump/Cruz has asked their delegates to support Kasich. No, there won't be a lot of Republicans staying home because Republicans really, really, really, really hate Hillary Clinton. The difference is that Kasich can get the independent voters and even some of the Sanders supporters that Trump and Cruz have no chance at getting.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 04:41 PM)
Winning a primary is so different than winning an election. Kasich would crush Hillary and every poll out there shows it. In a general election, you win by the swing votes, you don't win because of your base votes, and the swing votes would handily go to Kasich. I don't know whether Cruz wins and I'm most certain that Trump loses or at least I hope he does cause I absolutely am convinced he's the most likely candidate to ruin or country.

I thought the political science conventional wisdom was the opposite, that it's almost always about motivating your partisan base?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 25, 2016 -> 06:52 AM)
If Kasich gets the nomination, it's because at least one of Trump/Cruz has asked their delegates to support Kasich. No, there won't be a lot of Republicans staying home because Republicans really, really, really, really hate Hillary Clinton. The difference is that Kasich can get the independent voters and even some of the Sanders supporters that Trump and Cruz have no chance at getting.

What would Sanders voters find appealing in Kasich?

What would Sanders voters find appealing in Kasich?

From a policy standpoint, not a whole lot, but there is a lot of Hillary hate among Sanders voters and while not really all that moderate, he looks like one compared to Cruz and that is probably enough to get some of those voters.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 05:24 PM)
I just dont think its right for the republicans to pick whatever candidate they want if the votes say otherwise.

That's the entire reason for a primary, to help Republicans pick a candidate. By picking a ballot you are now part of that party. By definition you are a Republican when you select that ballot and you voted. Later how your party uses that information in making the selection is a different battle.

I think people forget that the primary process is something the political parties developed. It isn't something the framers of the Constitution created. They cold just have a meeting and pick someone. The process is a way to develop interest and hopefully support for the party and the party's nomination. Or in some cases an abomination of a nomination.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 05:44 PM)
Especially not when the south and heavy religious states tend to drive the early primaries and thus the early momentum. I realize my social liberal approach will probably not be the republican parties approach for another 10 or 15 years (as I have to think anyone that is young and eventually converts over to the republican party as they age would have similarly more liberal positions on social issues), but it really is time for a third party. It wasn't that long ago that I felt most of my values relatively aligned with the republican party (and than Bush Jr decided he wanted to go spend crazy).

Interesting prediction. I'm a socially liberal, fiscal and law and order conservative. I wind up valuing the social over the others.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 25, 2016 -> 06:52 AM)

Republicans are coming out to vote in astonishingly record numbers this primary season. They aren't doing that because of Hillary or Kasich.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 25, 2016 -> 08:21 AM)
Republicans are coming out to vote in astonishingly record numbers this primary season. They aren't doing that because of Hillary or Kasich.

I think they are doing it in part because of Hillary Clinton. Though I agree it's certainly not about Kasich.

Honestly, regardless of whether or not you support Trump, this primary season on the GOP side has been the biggest party-specific political show in decades. The lunatic front-runner, the guy in 2nd who is more extreme-wing policy-wise than any candidate the party has sent up since the 60's at least, you previously had the brother of a former Prez, a Doctor with zero political experience who was in the lead at one point, and just a whole lot of nastiness between candidates - of which there were 17 at one point! There has never been anything like it. No surprise that people are showing up in droves to vote. But that doesn't necessarily mean you'll see that in the general - maybe or maybe not. Different equation.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 25, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)
Twitter blowing up this AM about Cruz having 5 affairs, ha. Just when you think this primary season can't get more interesting. Oh and one of the ladies is Trumps national spokeswoman.

I can't believe I'm defending Cruz, but, I have a really hard time believing this story. Not that I think someone like him wouldn't have an affair, but the story as a whole just doesn't ring true.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Mar 25, 2016 -> 10:02 AM)
I'm not that old but I can't remember primaries getting this ugly in a long time.

This is my 7th cycle as a voting-age person. And I was old enough to understand one or two before then, going back to the 80's. No cycle has been anywhere close to this one.

I can't believe I'm defending Cruz, but, I have a really hard time believing this story. Not that I think someone like him wouldn't have an affair, but the story as a whole just doesn't ring true.

This is my 7th cycle as a voting-age person. And I was old enough to understand one or two before then, going back to the 80's. No cycle has been anywhere close to this one.

I find it hard to believe that five different women would sleep with him.

Interesting how quickly people figured out who three of them are and given who the three are, I suppose it could be more valid or it could be a bunch of nonsense. I presume Donald would have no reason to drive something like this, given he's had his own marital issues. Given the high stature Ted holds himself to, this would be a pretty big blow to his "character" if true.