Oregon

StrangeSox

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)

The level of cognitive dissonance going on here is stunning.

Also, it's way past time to start pushing on this. I was all for patience, but only if it slowly led to steps to work it out, and if they failed, then cautiously begin escalation. As far as I can see, they haven't done a darn thing. Of course, maybe they have and we don't know it, but the more obvious actions should have started well before now.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
Sure, risk the lives of the American Indians to only take it back when they're finished.

I was joking...since they clearly have zero understanding of US history or approximately how many treaties the US government has broken when dealing with Native American issues.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 03:25 AM)
Can we arm the Oglala Sioux to go in and take them out?...kind of like a real life recreation of the tv show Banshee without the gratuitous nudity.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
I was joking...since they clearly have zero understanding of US history or approximately how many treaties the US government has broken when dealing with Native American issues.

Nor do you it would seem, as the Sioux were never near that area. Paiute and Klamath are the right tribes in this case, as I understand it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)

They've posted video of themselves mishandling artifacts stored at the facility.

https://twitter.com/coop3030/status/689981160416526336

JJ MacNabb has been writing about anti-government extremism and has been a pretty solid source of information on this

Leader of armed takeover at Oregon refuge meets with the FBI

Meanwhile, the 16 federal employees who worked at the refuge have vacated not only their offices but also their homes. Out of concern for safety, they pulled children out of school as they temporarily moved elsewhere in the Northwest.

“Before staff left the community, most were working from home, and across the board, staff were certainly seeing militia members outside their homes using intimidation tactics,” said a refuge official with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service who spoke on the condition of anonymity. “Families were approached at the local Safeway and were followed in vehicles. Those types of things did take place.”

The FBI is allowing these clowns to freely come and go, destroy public and private property, and threaten the local community.

These guys are in armed insurrection against the US Government. Give them a public 24 hour notice to surrender and then be prosecuted for treason, or face the consequences and probably death when the military comes in after them. Hell I'd even be OK with a drone strike with a hellfire if they were worried about people getting killed taking back the facility against these traitors.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
These guys are in armed insurrection against the US Government. Give them a public 24 hour notice to surrender and then be prosecuted for treason, or face the consequences and probably death when the military comes in after them. Hell I'd even be OK with a drone strike with a hellfire if they were worried about people getting killed taking back the facility against these traitors.

Agreed (though it's sedition, not treason).

Also, not a lot of things surprise me anymore, but I have to say I am surprised they have let it fester this long. They've gotten way too comfortable, and it is all kinds of bad to let is sit and stink for this long.

KATU News has learned the leader of the armed occupation at Malheur Wildlife Refuge has been arrested, along with three other individuals Tuesday evening.

Sources tell KATU News there was some sort of engagement involving shots fired as the militia group was on its way to a meeting in John Day.Link

So, they guy who kept saying he'd die to avoid jail, was shot and killed. The lesser Bundy brother was wounded. The Bundy brothers and six others arrested, for now on interference charges, which is light.

And LOL at the Oregon assembly member tweeting out things she has no idea are true to make out someone to be a martyr.

The pieces are finally moving.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 08:18 AM)
So, they guy who kept saying he'd die to avoid jail, was shot and killed. The lesser Bundy brother was wounded. The Bundy brothers and six others arrested, for now on interference charges, which is light.

And LOL at the Oregon assembly member tweeting out things she has no idea are true to make out someone to be a martyr.

The pieces are finally moving.

Blaine Cooper is still at the refuge with several other militia members and he's vowing to 'stand his ground'

Grabbing most of the leaders when they were away from the compound was a smart move.

FBI tells Oregon refuge occupiers to leave as authorities set up roadblocks

BURNS – Law enforcement officers set up roadblocks Tuesday night around the headquarters of the occupied Malheur National Wildlife Refuge hours after one of the takeover's top spokesmen was killed and other leaders were arrested on a highway out of town.

FBI officials told those still at the compound, about 30 miles southeast of Burns, that they were free to leave and should do so. By midnight, few people appeared to have taken up the offer and the lights were still on.

Authorities provided no information about the roadblocks, but have scheduled a news conference for 10:30 a.m. Wednesday in Burns.

Only a few people had left, said Gary Hunt, who arrived Sunday from California to support the occupation. "The rest have decided they're going to hold their ground," he said.

Hunt -- a board member of Operation Mutual Defense, a network of militias and patriot sympathizers – left the headquarters late Tuesday and talked to The Oregonian/OregonLive while parked six miles from the refuge.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)
"patriot sympathizers"

How is this possibly a title being applied.

our political discourse is garbage, not sure why people actively touting armed insurrection and the theft of federal lands get called "patriots"

here's what one of the roadblocks looks like:

CZvfFqyWwAAmav0.jpg

they also have BLACK HELICOPTERS at the Burn airport

https://twitter.com/bethnakamura/status/692...src=twsrc%5Etfw

Edited by StrangeSox

If the FBI's plan was to lure them into a sense of complacency and impunity, get the neighboring county's Sovereign Citizen-friendly sheriff to invite all of the leaders over, and then arrest them all at once leaving the people back at the refuge directionless right when the FBI starts with shows of force (MRAPs, flying black helicopters overhead), it seems pretty damn brilliant.

Unfortunate that the tarp guy had to die rather than be arrested with the rest of them, and hopefully the rest of this wraps up without any more bloodshed, but it's nice to see something actually being done about this.

FBI statement from this morning:

Good morning. My name is Greg Bretzing, and I am the Special Agent in Charge for the FBI in Oregon.

For the past month, the FBI -- along with our partners at the Harney County Sheriff's Office, Oregon State Police and the many other federal and local agencies -- have had a very deliberate and measured response. We worked diligently to bring the situation at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge to a peaceful end. Some of those actions were seen, some unseen. But, because this is an on-going investigation with some armed individuals illegally remaining in the refuge, we cannot get into details as to every action tried or taken.

I will say that the armed occupiers were given ample opportunities to leave peacefully. They were given the opportunity to negotiate. As outsiders to Oregon, they were given the opportunity to return to their homes and have their grievances heard through legal and appropriate means. They chose, instead, to threaten the very America they profess to love with violence, intimidation and criminal acts.

Yesterday, the FBI and our partners took the necessary actions to start bringing this situation to an end. We worked to ensure that we could do so in the safest way possible -- removing the threat of danger from innocent citizens. We continue to work to empty the refuge of the armed occupiers in the safest way possible.

Eight people were arrested, and one man died yesterday as we attempted to take him into custody. Because there is an on-going investigation by the Deschutes County Major Crimes Team on behalf of OSP related to this piece of the investigation, I will not be able to comment on the specifics.

I would, however, ask for your patience as the shooting investigation works its way through that outside process. At the appropriate time, the Medical Examiner's office will release the decedent's identity, and OSP will address the details of the event.

Let me be clear: It is fully and unequivocally the behavior and the choices made by the armed occupiers that have led us to where we are today. And, as the FBI and our partners have demonstrated, actions are not without consequences.

Containment road blocks are now in place around the Refuge. The disruption that the good people of Harney County have had to endure over the last few months will continue -- for now.

If the people at the refuge want to leave, they can do so through the checkpoints where they will be identified. If they have questions or concerns, they can call the negotiators at the number that has been provided to them.

As I conclude I want to share my promise to the people who live and work here -- who are raising their families here - that we will continue to look for safe, peaceful and productive ways to end this armed occupation. We recognize that the sooner we do that, the sooner the citizens of Harney County can start healing this community they cherish so much.

Thank you.

Edited by StrangeSox

Here's the initial charging document:

http://res.cloudinary.com/bdy4ger4/image/u...ndy1_kkivkn.pdf

More charges will probably be added as they build their case, so it's hard to say what sort of sentence they're potentially looking at. If convicted, the federal judge also has the discretion to make the sentences run concurrently or consecutively, so the range is probably anywhere from ~5 years to dozens of years.

I'd imagine there are various state laws that they could be charged with separately as well.